Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

It was brought up in a live stream, apparently some people's names with special characters break the leader board IIRC.

Hoping they are looking into making the system more robust so it can be expanded as more contests are added, like pumpkin growing contests and such.

Would be nice if there could be a competition of sorts between some towns to be listed on the top of the leader board as the location where the largest X was caught/grown/etc.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Sonja and FrostII like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

One would think that fixing whatever it is with "special characters" breaking the leader board shouldn't be a mammoth task... o_O
    Please give it some more thought, @Elgarion ;)

Sonja likes this.
  3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'll be announcing a bounty concept this week or next, which would be the hunting tourney you're hoping for ;) It won't be a player bounty system, but could include bounties in PvP zones as well as PvE zones.

Our data searches cannot be exposed, but I'd imagine improvements to the leader boards will be coming.

I'll remind the team it's broken and also suggest adding a location column.

I'll bring up the topic of a Pumpkin leader board and suggest location be a column as well.

4. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Hi @Elgarion ,

Sorry, forgot to tag you in my original post that got buried. Can you please add the crossover event in Fallin' Green to the main post for this week? Pax rings have already been sent out for round one (actually worked out well that more people didn't know about round one, didn't realize that there was a very easy to catch minimum size of amberjack :confused:).

CROSS-OVER EVENT in Fallin' Green for Week 21. Please see the Dedicated Forum Post for full instructions. In brief though,

1: One (1) Common Pax Ring will go to the person catches the SMALLEST Amberjack Mackerel before Sunday, September 27th at 21:00 PST

2: One (1) Bait Squid will go to whoever catches the LARGEST Swordfish before Wednesday, September 30th at 21:00 PST

3: Five (5) Blood Leeches will be mailed to whoever wins the CATNIP GAMES WEEKLY FISHING TOURNY WEEK 21 GOLDEN TROPHY if the fish that wins it is caught in Fallin' Green.

Fallin' Green is a POT nested in Ardoris, First Wagon on the right from the North (default) Entrance or by Boat Connection from Beran's Reach :

*Amberjack Mackerels will be disposed of unless specifically requested back. All Swordfish submitted will be mailed back to whomever catches them once contest is resolved. Sorgin Txakal is not eligible for winning either category 1 or 2 above.

5. Elgarion

Added to the update, the events page, and the main post in this thread -- many thanks for having a spinoff! :)

6. Elgarion

For those that missed Friday's stream, here's the winners for last week:

Week 20

Galorn Hammerthrow, King Salmon, 2.668 (Knightmare Falls)
    POT Towns (Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy)

Sorgin Txakal, Marlin, 3.421 (Dysborg Ruins)
    PvP (2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy)

Flair Minamoto, Plesiosaurus, 7.951 (Verdantis Mines)
    Lava (Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy)
    Also, all participation trophies delivered. The most participants so far in the 20 weeks the contest has run :)

7. Elgarion

Apologies, I forgot to add you earlier to the list. You'll be up not next Friday, but the Friday after for your first round :)

Alrighty folks, I've updated the main post with the new contest info:

FISHING PRIZES & OBJECTIVES:
    All prizes will be no-trade. Players may donate additional prizes in the name of their guilds or towns to sweeten the pot. This event timeframe is Friday the 2nd at Noon CT to Friday the 8th at Noon CT, and these are the prizes and goals for the indicated week:

Largest FETID WATER Fish (Town):
    -- Rules: Must be caught from one of these towns. Governors can request a loaner water conversion statue to meet water requirements.
    -- Prizes: Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy
    Whyte Roc (@Cypher Black)
    Brittany Fort (@Sonja)
    Beran's Reach (@Duke Vallas [BEAR])​
    Largest Fish (PvP):
    -- Rules: Must be caught in Rhun Ruins
    -- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy

Largest Lava Fish:
    -- Rules: Must be caught in Blackblade Passage
    -- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy

Participation Prizes:
    -- Rules: Everyone who caught at least 1 trophy fish in this week's locations
    -- Prizes: Small Silver Fishing Trophy

CROSS-OVER EVENTS:
    Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for participants and winners of the Fishing event, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Please submit links to event threads which take place in the spotlighted towns, PvP zone or PvE zone.

Current Crossovers:
    -- No crossovers announced.

NEXT WEEK'S ROUND OF POTs:
    To aid governors better plan, the next round of POTs to compete (Freshwater) will be from Noon to Noon, Friday to Friday, October 9nd to October 16th:
    PaxLair (@Sean Silverfoot)
    Novia Market (@ldykllr)
    Dark Bayou, Novia Near Brittany (@Fiero Steele)​

Sean Silverfoot, Mal Hari and Anpu like this.
  8. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Hi everyone I started to fish a little while ago, and thought what a wonderful idea to fish with a chance of a reward . Here is the thing, I do not understand if/ or where we need to send off the chosen fish. For me at the moment I would be so very happy to receive a little participate fish trophy for fishing in the named above towns.

Sean Silverfoot and Sonja like this.
  9. Lained

Lained Avatar

You no longer have to send your fish in to qualify for the weekly fishing contest as Elgarion can no look up the data directly and send winners and participation trophies usually on the following Monday. For crossover events the drop off location will be specified by the event coordinator.

10. Sonja

Sonja Avatar

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

12. Elgarion

Added to the main post in the thread, the event page, and Friday's update :)

13. Charon

Charon Avatar

@Elgarion , have the results of last weeks fishing tourney been published?

14. Elgarion

For those who missed Friday's stream (I did ;) ), here's the fishing results for last week's contest: (Thanks for the reminder Charon)

Week 21

Jugg Head, Tiger Shark, 4.674 (Fallin' Green)
    POT Towns (Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy)

Froji, King Salmon, 2.258 (Paladis Shardfall)
    PvP (2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy)

Enoch, Mosasaurus, 7.608 (Blackblade Foothills)
    Lava (Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy)
    I'll get the participation trophies sent out sometime today :)

15. Elgarion

FYI the Lava portion of this week's event is actually in Blackblade Pass, not Blackblade Passage. Sorry for the typo :( I'll update the event page and the update as well.

16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

PaxLair is proud to part of the Catnip Weekly Fishing Tournament.
    (Freshwater) will be from Noon to Noon, Friday to Friday, October 9nd to October 16th:
    As part of the tournament, we will be running a side contest. Our challenge will be a little different, we're going Vegas to do a Price Is Right mashup.

DROP BOXES:
    Located at the PaxLair fishing shack, straight ahead off the docks, the first row lot you see. There are chests out front, once you're ready to put your catch in, choose an empty pack and place your fish directly in. You will only be able to add, not remove, so take care. Please note the separate Pike Box.

NORMAL CONTESTS:
    1 of a kind - Largest length - 3 Prize ticket
    2 of a kind - Closest length total to 2.7 - 2 prize tickets
    3 of a kind - Closest length total to 8.2 - 3 prize tickets
    Small Straight - 4 different types lowest length total - 3 prize tickets
    Large Straight - 5 different types highest length total - 4 prizes tickets

Special add-on - Smallest Pike - 6500 crowns, 500k gold & more. Sponsored by Engel, a citizen of PaxLair
    **** Please note smallest length pike entered here is separate and can not be used in the above Normal Contest****
    RULES FOR NORMAL CONTEST
    The same fish may be used to achieve different combos.
    Ties will split the prize tickets, with adjustments made so it's even amounts.
    Can only win once per hand.

PRIZES:
    Once the winners are announced they will be asked to come to PaxLair, where they will be able to choose a box for each ticket won. Each box will be chosen 1 at a time on a rotating basis until all tickets have been cashed in. There will be more boxes than tickets. This is fishing, there will be stinky prizes hiding in there.

Any question or comments please get in touch with @Sean Silverfoot

Attention @Elgarion

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Sonja, Past Blue Ribbon, Sole and 4 others like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Sean Silverfoot
    "Earliest turn in times by chest log" - in practice, this would be a huge hassle for all the fishermen - as well as yourself.
    We fishermen are not fond of running to put fish in boxes while we're fishing.
    Settle ties by earliest caught time (it's on every fish), not by when put in the box. That way fishermen can hold on to what they have and not worry about beating someone to the chests. Plus, you will have WAY, WAY, WAY fewer fish to sort thru. Win/Win ! :)

P.S. I applaud and thank you for having this SpinOff ! ( I confess, I fish )..:p

SpinOff's are becoming very, very popular among town owners/residents/fishermen as they are a great way to interact with each other and actually win something if you aren't the ONE person to catch the week's biggest dang fish....

** Yes, I'm looking at you, Catnip - for NOT having 2nd and 3rd place prizes in EVERY category of the weekly fishing tournament.
    It doesn't have to be something spectacular or costly for you, and you have tons of stuff to choose from for prizes.....*

You're missing a great opportunity and I really hope that @Elgarion notices the increased attention the tournament has received since these SpinOff's began appearing to give everyone a "decent" chance of winning something...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  18. Net

Net Avatar

I also think that chest log shows only days and not times and may not be that useful. Especially if people add things to chest multiple times during the fishing week.
    I think for ties you could split the price tickets between the players or decide them by roll. I mean if someone gets the perfect combination on Saturday, it would be nice if others had still a chance.

Sonja, Sole, Sean Silverfoot and 2 others like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Novia Market will be doing a spin off contest for this weeks fishing tourney!

Details
    :
    Location of Chest- Near the stage, to the right of the docks when you enter town.

Prizes:
    There are 2 prizes each day. The largest and smallest fish of the day caught in Novia Market will receive 50,000 gold - it must be marked for that day and turned into the chest by the stage.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

20. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Dark Bayou will also be doing a spin off contest for this weeks fishing tourney!

Details:
    Location of Chest- at the stairs of the Elven town water home, turn around when you enter Dark Bayou and you will see it! Place your King Salmon in there.

Prizes:
    Daily prize of 75000 gold for the largest King Salmon!
    Week prize of 125000 gold for the largest King Salmon caught during the week!

Don't get lost in the fog! and the rumors of ghosts wandering about Dark Bayou are false!

Day 1 winner is Flair Minamoto with a 2.27 King!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.