Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proudfoot Underhill

Proudfoot Underhill Avatar

QUESTION: In NPC towns, the tourney says "Any Fish" is contender. Does that mean that if anyone has a Lava fish pool on his lot, we can fish there and contend with caught Lava fish? (same applies for Saltwater pools in NPC town with Fresh/Fetid water). What about I have a Lava pool which is accessible only to me? :)

PS: Sorry if that is stated anywhere: I guess only the water bassins (sea/lake/river) of the Zone itself count. No private pools.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Neverly Crusher, Winston and Sonja like this.
  2. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

@Winston
    If you'll just add the data of where the fish were caught to the spreadsheet, I can just use that to determine where the longest fish was caught and who gets the coin.
    I, or a representative of the BMC, will award the gold to the winner.

3. Winston

Winston A Data Guy Moderator SOTA Developer

R99 Winners (28-Feb-2022 to 31-Mar-2022):
    POT (Fetid):
    1. Olympe | Araipama | 2.841 | The Fields of Misery - [Player-Owned Town Village Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Title] - (This was the FIRST Araipama caught in the Realm!)
    2. Aralanis Amarr | Sturgeon | 2.674 | Valor - [Player-Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Title]
    3. Jugg Head | Sturgeon | 2.585 | The Fields of Misery - [50 Tiny Squid, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Title]
    NPC (Fresh, Salt, Fetid):
    1. Dirk Hammerstrike | Swordfish | 3.329 | Fishing Expedition - [Player-Owned Town Village Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Title]
    2. Proudfoot Underhill | Swordfish | 3.191 | Fortus End - [Player-Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Title]
    3. Uthgar KrakenWolf | Sailfish | 3.096 | Fishing Expedition - [50 Tiny Squid, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Title]
    PVP (Fresh, Salt, Fetid):
    1. Neverly Crusher | Tiger Shark | 4.082 | Rhun Ruins - [Player-Owned Town Village Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Title]
    2. Carpe Noctem | Bluefin Tuna | 2.488 | Rhun Ruins - [Player-Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Title]
    3. River Styx | Mahi-Mahi | 2.136 | Rhun Ruins - [50 Tiny Squid, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Title]
    Lava:
    1. Irishize | Mosasaurus | 7.38 | Etceter Crag Mines - [Player-Owned Town Village Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy, Title]
    2. Owsley | Dunkleosteus | 5.783 | Etceter Crag Mines - [Player-Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Silver Fishing Trophy, Title]
    3. Blast ItAll | Dunkleosteus | 5.508 | Etceter Crag Mines - [50 Tiny Squid,Large Bronze Fishing Trophy, Title]
    Reminder: A player can only win one (1) prize per fishing tournament.

4. Winston

Great question! I messed up on the leaderboards. Should not say "Any Fish". It used to say "Fresh, Salt, Fetid", but that is not clear either. You state it the best...

"Fish in Scene water basins" - probably with a footnote "excludes any private pools"

I will make the change. Thanks!!

5. Winston

I made the change...

[​IMG]

The green arrows indicate "Fish in Scene water basins" means the natural scene water (bay, lakes, rivers), not private pools or dungeons. An NPC town could have fresh, fetid, or salt. So you pick the best town to fish in.
    Hmm, I should check the water types and try to pick those NPC towns with the same water types. Maybe Harvest, Highvale Outskirts, and Noreach are all the same type? (time to go fishing!)​

The red arrow shows Midnight, a POT, has Lava Pools in its town as a feature for this tournament. So in this case, Midnight is designated as a Lava scene category where I will only count Lava fish. "Regular" fish in the water basins will not be counted.

Is this clear?

6. Winston

Oops, I am currently leading the NPC Town fishing tourney. Sorry!

I was testing my queries so I had to catch a fish!

Well, I am not allowed to win anyway - I can filter myself off the board if needed (but many people will beat me I'm sure!)

[​IMG]

7. Lomyr Edain

Lomyr Edain Avatar

I was fishing all day on friday and I found out that the amount of fish you catch isn't counted unless you right click on your name and have your name showed in public stats. I wish I had known about that before I caught all the fish on Friday.

Winston likes this.
  8. Winston

I am counting all fish; I do not use the the in-game Show in name in public stats flag to query the data.

I checked your data and see where you had Hide name ON, then turned it OFF and fish were still being counted. See private conversation to you.

My leaderboards can be confusing, especially with the 48-hour section too. Let me know if I can help more!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  9. Lomyr Edain

Lomyr Edain Avatar

thanks, I understand now that I don't need the Show/Hide flag set to show.

Sean Silverfoot and Winston like this.
  10. Winston

UPDATE: I added the following for more explanation about the tournament. I added this info to the first post in this thread. Please critique this for clarity; ask me questions ingame, or on the forums here.

HOW TO WIN:
    • The first place winner for one of the 4 categories (POT, NPC, PVP, Lava) catches the LONGEST fish (just one) in any of the towns/scenes in that category.
    • Weight of fish has nothing to do with the contest.
    • There are no cumulative / sums of values used in the contest.
    • Number of fish caught (Qty) has nothing to do with contest results. The sotawiki Leaderboards / Statusboards show number of fish caught (Qty) to merely give people an idea of how much someone has been fishing (level of effort by each player).
    • Players may only win ONE prize. If a player is a leader (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in more than one category, they are given the highest level prize starting with the POT, then NPC, etc. category. Other players will then move up in the category were the duplicate slot opened up and probably get a prize. It is simply "de-duping" the prizes so there can be only one. (per player -- *smiles*)
    • STAGES: @Winston is experimenting with 7-day Stages where the player with the longest fish over that specific 7-day stage may win a prize (TBD); just 1st place, not 2nd and 3rd. The Leaderboard/Statusboard shows the standings for each Stage. When a stage is over, the next stage starts with everyone zero'ed out for longest fish and a new 7-day period has started. These stages do not affect the overall month-long contest.
    SOTAWIKI LEADERBOARD / STATUSBOARD (prototype):

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  11. Ythak

Ythak Avatar

Hello @Winston ,
    Can you add Avallon, to the town list (fresh, salt, fetid water available)
    Thank you

12. Proudfoot Underhill

Proudfoot Underhill Avatar

This won't stay for long :p

13. Winston

Added, thanks! Will tee you up for R101. I already see your town is set to Saltwater (R101's water type for POTs).

Sean Silverfoot and Ythak like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just wanted to make sure my town of Hemut is on for fetid water. Thanks!

Sean Silverfoot and Winston like this.
  15. Winston

Hemut, Fetid, added for Release 102.
    27 May 2022 00:00:00 -- to -- 30 Jun 2022 23:59:59
    Central Daylight Time (US)

Thanks!

Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  16. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

Please add Ordinis Mortis to your fishing rotation. You can add it to all 3 water times (only one at a time though) and I will set the water to match Thank you

17. Winston

Ordinis Mortis, Saltwater, added for Release 101.
    29 Apr 2022 00:00:00 -- to -- 26 May 2022 23:59:59
    Central Daylight Time (US)

Thanks!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  18. Winston

UPDATE: In /sotawiki FishT .... I added a column with labels showing which Scene (S) the player's longest fish was caught in.
    Keep Fishing!
    -- Winston

[​IMG]

Neverly Crusher, Anpu and Lained like this.
  19. Neverly Crusher

Neverly Crusher Avatar

A bit of a non-related question - why is the water in the two PVP zones different - salt and fresh (I assume from the length of the fish caught )...This makes it hard to compare/compete. Even the largest fish in fresh water - large king salmon (around 2.74) is half the length of the fish you can catch in salt water..

I think it's the same with NPC locations?... (I only fish in POTs)

Winston likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In those cases you want to fish in the salt water. In Dysborg the river area is fresh and the ocean water is salt, so even when fishing there you want to stay away from the river for these contests. Also I don't understand having 2 pvp scenes running contest at the same time. If it's actually for pvp players that fish like me, then it should just be 1 scene. That would bring more chances for combat.

Not that anyone is going to fish in the freshwater scene this month, but maybe something to consider in the future.

Neverly Crusher, Anpu and Winston like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.