Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston

Winston A Data Guy Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm looking closer at NPC towns, Adventure, and PVP scenes during this release. This is also the first time we used a POT for lava fishing (where I filter out all other fish types caught in that POT).

Some towns/scenes have multiple water types. That is not easily cataloged on the Dev side, so I am going to scenes to actually fish in areas to determine what water is where. Like the lake and river are freshwater, but the bay/ocean/dock area is saltwater. Also, some scenes may be Fresh and another in the same category is Salt.

The angler will have to be somewhat knowledgeable and observant. They will need to/want to fish in the right spots / right scenes to get the longest fish (sort of like real life?). Are these concepts "challenging" or "difficult"? I'm hoping to make fishing challenging (people need to think too, know a bit about fishing and locations), but avoid difficulty (like a lava pool buried in a dungeon scene where you have to fight and get quest keys to get there; yet this type of thing might be a whole different category in the future).

I have ideas for more prizes than just 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in each category for the overall tournament. This is based on querying, gathering, and aggregating more data like scenes, quantity of trophy fish, number of scenes fished in, 7-day stages, etc.

As for PVP scenes, I agree. We only need one PVP scene for fishing, like we do for Treasure Hunt. It has traditionally been 2 scenes per tournament over the past year. I'll look at changing this to one PVP fishing scene in R101. I tried to add the Treasure Hunt gathering contest to the same PVP fishing scene(s) this release, but the new Zone Teleport UI colors can only show ONE contest per scene. (I hate it when a computer limits imagination/reality; it's something to figure out later.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  2. Winston

NEED HELP - STAGES and PRIZES:

STAGES:
    I also have Stages in the Tournament now. Every 7-days.

R100 Stage 1 ends tonight at midnight, CDT US. See the status leaderboard for stage 1.
    See in the Table of Contents "Results: Stage 1 (07 Apr 2022)":​
    https://sotawiki.net/sota/User:Winston/Fishing_Tournament_Status_R100

When Stage 1 is over, everyone starts Stage 2 with zero longest fish and I will query for fish caught during days 8 to 14, then Stage 2 will end with new winners.​

PRIZES:
    I want to award 4 prizes for the longest fish in each category (POT, NPC, PVP, Lava) at the end of each stage. There are no 2nd or 3rd places in the Stages at this time.

A player can win more than one category in each Stage, e.g., get two prizes if they had the longest fish in NPC and in PVP categories.

A player can win more than one Stage too throughout the Tournament.

I will award the prizes "quietly" to the winners over in-game mail. I am not going to reveal who the winners are by real player name. That remains anonymous until the end of the tournament! Mystery intact!

For prizes for each 7-day Stage, I'm planning on the following baits and quantities for the four categories:
    • POT: (10) Pale Leech (Bait): Common bait with a bonus to catching fish in any water type and a bonus to catching Blood Leeches.
    • NPC: (10) Herring (Bait): Uncommon bait with a large bonus to catching fish in salt water and a bonus to catching fish in fresh and fetid water. This bait is as good during the day as it is at night.
    • PVP: (10) Drudge Leech (Bait): Uncommon bait with a large bonus to catching fish in fetid water and a bonus to catching fish in salt and fresh water. It also has a large bonus to catching Blood Leeches.
    • Lava: (10) Heavy Gemmed Lure (Bait): Common bait only useful when fishing in lava.
    [​IMG]
    See the Stage 1 in the statusboard to see who is in the running to win in each category tonight! Current leaders are:
    • POT: Egg Salad
    • NPC: Spider Legs
    • PVP: Beer Cask
    • Lava: Mutton Stew
    Try to beat them!

If you think you can't and it's too late, prepare yourselves for when the results reset to zero for Stage 2. Get fishing and then come out on top in Stage 2!

Fish On!

What do you folks think? Are my bait prizes pretty equitable in type and quantity?

Ask me questions if things are not clear or I made mistakes.

-- Winston

3. Winston

R100 STAGE 1 Winners!

Congratulations to:
    • POT: Egg Salad
    • NPC: Spider Legs
    • Lava: Mutton Stew
    I will send them their prizes today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R100 Stage 2 has started! Get the longest fish in the next 7-days and win! This shows Anonymous names as usual (food names)
    [​IMG]

FISH ON!
    /sotawiki FishT

4. Winston

STAGE 2 is almost complete. It ends at midnight, Central US Time tonight, 14 April.

Watch the leaderboard -
    /sotawiki FishT

Stage 2 Prizes: Longest fish in each category over the last 7 days wins a prize:
    • POT: (10) Pale Leech (Bait): Common bait with a bonus to catching fish in any water type and a bonus to catching Blood Leeches.
    • NPC: (10) Herring (Bait): Uncommon bait with a large bonus to catching fish in salt water and a bonus to catching fish in fresh and fetid water. This bait is as good during the day as it is at night.
    • PVP: (10) Drudge Leech (Bait): Uncommon bait with a large bonus to catching fish in fetid water and a bonus to catching fish in salt and fresh water. It also has a large bonus to catching Blood Leeches.
    • Lava: (10) Heavy Gemmed Lure (Bait): Common bait only useful when fishing in lava.
    Fish ON!

5. Winston

R100 STAGE 2 Winners! 08 Apr 2022 to 14 Apr 2022

Congratulations to:
    • POT: Wolf Chops
    • NPC: Bear Surprise
    • PVP: Spider Soup - this player is 0.0002 behind (just short of) the R100 PVP overall contest leader! So Close! Wow!
    • Lava: Bear Surprise
    I will sent them their prizes already.

Stage 3 has started! 15 Apr 2022 to 21 Apr 2022

Lained likes this.
  6. Winston

R101 POT towns for Fishing - Saltwater. - Submissions needed.

We designate up 6 POTs per month for the Fishing Tournament. There is/was a rotating list, but it got old.

So last month I took new requests/submissions for who wanted which POTs in the R100 tournament. That went pretty well.

For R101, I have the following already submitted and added for R101 POT SALTWATER fishing:
    • POT Avallon
    • POT Ordinis Mortis
    • need 4 more
    I can add 4 more POTs:
    • The POT simply must be set for Saltwater. I'd like this set/confirmed before I submit R101 patches later this week.
    • The POT does not have to run contests, but that is nice.
    • Some of you may have reached me to add your POT for R101 or some future tournament. Reach me again please if I have missed adding your POT.
      • Hemut is added for R102 FETID.
    • I have until Wednesday evening Central US Time to designate the 6 POTs and get them into the R101 release patch.
    Thanks!

Duursyrras likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I can place a saltwater statue in Mystic Isle later today.

[edit] Took a break from work and placed it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Winston and Anpu like this.
  8. Winston

Thanks! Adding Mystic Isle.

Duursyrras and Barugon like this.
  9. Duursyrras

Duursyrras Avatar

RAMPAGE ISLAND!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Winston likes this.
  10. Winston

I added:
    • Rock Ridge
    • Rampage Island
    Make them Saltwater please.

I'm thinking about adding Winston's Mountain ... oh it's not in game yet, or might never be, hmm. Well, if it were, it would be like Walton's Mountain of course! Big family, lots of data!

I need one more POT if anyone is up to make their Saltwater.

Fun!

Duursyrras and Anpu like this.
  11. Blake47

Blake47 Avatar

Please maintain “Fields of Misery” as Fetid for Rel 102….thanks

Anpu and Winston like this.
  12. Winston

On the list for R102 Fetid.

Anpu likes this.
  13. Winston

What are some good Lava Scenes? Adventure scenes or POTs?
    • We did Midnight POT with a lot of lava pools in R100. Did it get too crowded?
    • Any other POTs with lava pools? I can restrict the counting of fish in that POT to just Lava fish. Seemed to work with Midnight POT.
    • Adventure scenes with Lava, I prefer those with easy access, like Sunless Barrens has. I can repeat Sunless Barrens for R102 if you folks want. Thoughts?
    ??

14. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

Rajazel has a total of 10 lava pools.

Winston, Duursyrras and Anpu like this.
  15. Winston

Let's use Rajazel for the Lava (POT) in R101. Probably Sunless Barrens again for Lava (Adv scene).

Lava Pools are still buggy. Seems to depend on your camera angle to the lava surface. I fished best when standing in the middle of the Lava Pool. I don't burn up (hah!).

So if a pool is not working, change your look direction. Move to other side of pool maybe. Or go to another pool. Relogging into the scene did not seem to help. I am still testing.

We can test with Rajazel pools during the R101 contest and gather data; three don't see fishable this morning (The ones south near the gustball field.); the others seem to work at some camera-look directions.

[​IMG]

simon1974, Anpu and Duursyrras like this.
  16. Winston

R100 STAGE 3 Winners! 15 Apr 2022 to 21 Apr 2022

Congratulations to:
    • POT: White Cake
    • NPC: Sugar Cookie
    • Lava: Vanilla Bean
    I will sent them their prizes already.

End of Tournament is soon! 28 Apr 2022 at 23:59 (11:59 pm) CDT - Marse 21, 643 P.C.

17. Duursyrras

Duursyrras Avatar

Congratz all!!!

Winston likes this.
  18. Winston

R101 FISHING TOURNAMENT SCENES:

29 Apr 2022 00:00 ... to ... 26 May 2022 23:59 (Central US Time)

• NPC R101 (Saltwater) 29-Apr-2022 to 26-May-2022:
      • Aerie
      • Ardoris
      • Xenos
    • PVP R101 (Saltwater) 29-Apr-2022 to 26-May-2022:
      • Verdantis Shardfall
    • Lava R101 (Lava Only) 29-Apr-2022 to 26-May-2022:
      • Rajazel (POT)
      • Sunless Barrens
    SotAWiki StatusBoard 101 - https://sotawiki.net/sota/User:Winston/Fishing_Tournament_Status_R101
    • Extra community fishing contests are shown on the Wiki page. Are there any more to add for R101? Reach @Winston
      • Brittany Fort contest
      • Rock Ridge contest
      • RHEC PvP in Brave Coast weekly 1-hour
    • R101 Status information is not loaded yet
    • In-game chat command will be re-directed from R100 to R101 when tournament goes live - /sotawiki FishT
    Fish On!!

Adam Crow and Rhodrisan like this.
  19. Duursyrras

Duursyrras Avatar

no Fresh Water?

Winston likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The contest has been rotating through the different types each release - fresh, salt, fetid, repeat

Duursyrras, Yigg Endimion and Winston like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.