Catnip Games PvP Collections Tourney (July 11th 10AM CT)

Discussion in 'Recurring Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Elgarion

Elgarion Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

[​IMG]

Greetings Avatars! A new PvP developer run event is drawing near. Please bear with me as I work out the details. The first few events will likely be test runs and very experimental.

DETAILS:
    Where: Paladis Shardfull
    When: July 11th 10AM CT (30 minute event)

Once I get a feel for how long it takes me to pull and organize the data, I might see making these 1 hour events in the future.

To enter, please reply to this thread with the following information:
    • Your Character Name
    • Your Planned Objective (see below)
    OBJECTIVES:
    These are the objectives possible for players. Each registered competitor can select only one objective. Bonus objectives listed further below are available to everyone. Points per objective might be adjusted as we approach the date of the event. You can change your chosen objective up to 1 day before the event. Keep in mind, the more people taking a single objective makes it less valuable.
    • Dungeoneer (1 pt): loot Granite Blocks from either Obsidian Golems or Granite Nodes.
    • Plant Slayer (3 pts): loot Chaos Plant Pollen from either the Redthorn Flowers or the Flesh Flayers.
    • Tree Chopper (3pts): loot Maple Wood from chopped down maple trees.
    • Master Gatherer (3pts): loot Raw Cotton from Cotton Plants.
    • Ebon Slayer (4 pts): loot Lesser Staves from Ebon Cultist Wizards.
    • Master of Mayhem (NA): Unregistered players simply on a kill fest, no prizes available.
    BONUS OBJECTIVES:
    These objectives are available to everyone. Do not select these as your main objective. You can do these in addition to your main objective chosen above.
    • Deathmonger (1 pt): loot a body part off of a player.
    • Mushroom Lover (5 pts): loot gold ore from the Paxillus Involutus fungus creature rare spawn.
    • Daemon Slayer (15 pts): loot a Daemon Hoof from the Dolorast Vrul rare spawn.
    Points are earned upon each loot of the creature/node per the guide above. You are awared points for the loot action, not the # of items within the loot. For instance, if you loot an Obsidian Golem and he has 2 Granite Blocks on him, that's still 1 point for the kill and successful loot of granite. It is NOT a per/item point system, it's related to a per kill/harvest action.

PRIZES:
    The following prizes are available. Players may donate additional prizes in the name of their guilds or towns to sweeten the pot. All prizes are no-trade.
    • 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place Trophies and Participation Trophies (tabletop version) are depicted in this video:
    • 1st Place: Large PvP Shard Trophy, Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed
    • 2nd Place: Medium PvP Shard Trophy, Obsidian Streetlamp 6-Pack
    • 3rd Place: Small PvP Shard Trophy, Obsidian Sentinel Dragon Statue
    • Participation: Tabletop Participation Shard Trophy
    Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for attendees of the PvP and Fishing events, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. After the first week of these events, likely there will be a pause for planning before additional weeks start rolling in.

CROSSOVER / SPINOFF PRIZES OR EVENTS:
    The following prizes or events are offered by players in an attempt to "sweeten the pot" of prizes offered by the developers:
    • @Spinok is has sent in 3 Hearts of Vrul to go to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners
    TRACKING SPREADSHEET:
    The following spreadsheet contains all Collections Tourney PvP History:

DISQUALIFCATIONS:

The following items can cause a player to be disqualified from the contest and ineligible for prizes.
    • I'll try to work out ways to ensure we're all in the same instance, but any person not in the primary instance will be disqualified as they'll have an unfair advantage in the less populated instance.
    • Any player detected trading ANY of the above objective items at Paladis Shardfall during the timeframe of either contest will be disqualified from the contest. This action flags as a trade, but will also slow down my tallies. These trades would be perceived as attempting to skew the results, hence the disqualification.
    RECOMMENDATIONS:
    Here are some recommendations to consider for this contest:
    • Inventory: This is a PvP event and loot is currently enabled. Be sure to equip yourself only with items you are comfortable loosing. If you want to attend simply attempt the goals and avoid PvP, it's strongly advised that you wear no-drop gear, gear that you don't mind losing. Also, be sure to fill your inventory with "death items". "Death items" are essentially junk to put into the mix of what's looted, so something good has a much less chance of being selected. (Not all of these events will take place in Ransom Enabled locations).
    • Grouping: Team play can be highly beneficial in these situations. Be sure to form up in groups and work together. BUT, he careful... if you have auto-roll on loot and win items that are not your objective, you will not be allowed to trade to the person in your party who DOES have that objective. This is a disqualifying action, trading of items to another player related to the objectives. (So... turn off auto-roll!)
    The initial one will be very much a test, because ALL my determinations will be from pulling data based upon the goals I set within the time snippets, and I need to figure out how time consuming it will be. I have a few ideas to really narrow down my searches based on the objectives provided.

Expect each week for the location to change. Expect the location to coincide with one of the Fishing Tourney Wildcard Goals.

And no worries, if the PvP side of my event plans do not gather interest, I'll just focus more on the PvE side of things and these will occur less frequently. More to come :)

REGISTRATIONS:
    The following players have registered for the upcoming event. Times are still pending, awaiting additional registrations and feedback.
    @devilcult: Plant Slayer, Character Name: Devilcult
    @Violet Ronso: Tree Chopper, Character Name: Violet Ronso
    @CatherineRose: Plant Slayer, Character Name: CatherineRose
    @Jikininki: Dungeoneer, Character Name: Emmory Watsyn
    @Spinok: Tree Chopper, Character Name: Zena Karpo
    @Joe Zhudarak: Plant Slayer, Character Name: Joe Zhudarak
    @Peach: Master Gatherer, Character Name: Peach Pitt
    @Xarras: Dungeoneer, Character: Xak Xarras
    @Net: Master Gatherer, Character: Net
    @jinicezar: Plant Slayer, Character: Jini Cezar
    @Sevarin: Ebon Slayer, Character: Terminus Est
    @Deus Vult: Dungeoneer, Character: Deus Vult
    @Murzilka: Ebon Slayer, Character: Murzilka
    @klabi papi: Master Gatherer, Character: Klabi Papi
    @Dekol: Plant Slayer, Character: Kudeyar
    @grinchy Krabnevir: Ebon Slayer, Character: Grinchy Krabnevir
    @Ser Kyrlieon: Ebon Slayer, Character: Ser Kyrlieon
    @Bayard: Dungeoneer, Character: Johnkirk Bayard
    @Grumpy Krabnevir: Ebon Slayer, Character: Grumpy Krabnevir
    @shadowvice: Tree Chopper, Character: Maykie Antear
    @Abstrax Phoenix: Plant Slayer, Character: Crystal Method
    @Mangar: Plant Slayer, Character: Fzol
    @The Revenant: Plant Slayer, Character: Revenant
    @Filter Bubble Algorithm: Dungeoneer, Character: Crowquills Crowquillz
    @NihJoo Character: Plant Slayer, Crowquiils Crowquillz
    @Crowquillz Character: Tree Chopper, Crowquiils Crowquiilz
    @dalien: Ebon Slayer, Character: Dalien PR
    @fopuoghogu: Plant Slayer, Character: Fopu Oghogu​

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

If you are telling me there will be rewards for fish caught in a PvP zone, my gosh will this be FUN! time to prepare myself!

Sonja, CatherineRose and Elgarion like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Avatar

What "goals" might you be tracking, @Elgarion ?

4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Dropping Catnip games for something a bit more Lore/world centric might be an idea, I wonder if the event will be unavailable for my time zone as most American early afternoon stuff usually is. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Sonja likes this.
  5. Elgarion

Hahaa, yes. The fishing event has an overlap to this event :) I'll try to overlap the events each week. Please keep in mind, these first 2 are experiments. I need to see how long it takes me to process these.

I'll be writing up the goals today. It'll be based on "what's in the scene" and "what can I detect via logging". Likely to be related to what's looted by players. The goals aren't going to be "how many people did you kill", they will be related to TRYING to do activities there WHILE people are killing people.

Perhaps I'll do a lore based event at some point, but more than likely I'll leave the story writing to the masters on the team and in the community and just promote their story events as they arise. There is one brewing now -- be sure to get involved if lore and story is what you're after: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/black-sails-saga-from-the-new-lands.163048/ they start it off as forum role-play, and as the story builds, it culminates into a PvP resolution to the story. I'll be doing my best to promote that one to include mention of it in today's update.

Net, Sonja, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Was just thinking if the event is in the Novian world, why not name the event like a Novian, other than using a gamer developers name/ other obscure outlander terms etc.

Subtle perhaps...

We could Point our NPC's to mention the event in dialogue conversations but "Catnip games" might be a bit confusing for them... :)

Sonja likes this.
  7. Elgarion

Good input -- I'll use that for any dev created lore centric events coming in the future for sure. For these, there is no story. It's just fishin and bashin heads. The dev run aspect of it is what I want clearly indicated in the title.

craftymethod likes this.
  8. Elgarion

More info added, feedback very welcome :) -- also, ready for registrations as well. I'll get a spreadsheet ready for you guys before too long that I can use each week as we do more of these.

9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Which is the pvp side ? I see just pve goals, maybe you can add also a pvp goal like kill more players so it gather interest of pvp players too. At the moment this isn't a pvp event like advertised.

Is it possibile maybe to have a "conquer a spot" pvp event using control point mechanic? Having a control point with a flag to hold: the Group that stay more time into it gains points. Defending the control point there are realy strong mobs that need to be defeated in order to conquest the spot, killing those mobs generate points too. The group who gains more point wins the event. This could be a cool PVP event that gather interest of both pve and pvpers players

Aeryk, Sonja and Spinok like this.
  10. Restless

Restless Avatar

This sounds like gathering pve’rs into a world they have no clue about to get swamped. I agree with Dhanas that a pvp event should be pvp oriented.

@Elgarion you have stated repeatedly that you don’t want to spend much time on this and only want to pull logs quickly to be done with it. I would caution that you’re going to get out of this the equal amount of effort put in. EVL guild successfully ran Virtue League for multiple seasons because of their great amount of effort.

Sonja, Vaiden Luro and Dhanas like this.
  11. Elgarion

There are a variety of ways to have a PvP event. This one is objective based. Sure, who killed the most people, the second most people, the third most people etc would be one way to do it. Each even run, I'll try to think of better trackable metrics to help me determine winners based upon objectives.

Merely by having an event in a PvP zone with goals will inspire PvP. If someone has an objective to kill golems, but sees someone chopping down a tree? Why not attack them to interrupt their chance to earn 3 points? This is an out-side-the box thinking to objectives. Capture the flag? Capture other items, as indicated. All different objectives.

Conquer a spot, possibly in a future event.
    Capture a flag, possibly via use of deco... we wouldn't know who had the flag when picked up, nor would the flag drop if they were killed. There is no tech for capture the flag.

Please do keep in mind I plan to vary objectives periodically as I learn what I can track.

Thanks so much for your reply and input. I'm sorry you do not like this contest, but perhaps future ones will interest you.

Sonja and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

How is this labeled as a pvp event....?

13. Elgarion

Already I'm looking at spending hours reviewing the data (hopefully I can get it down to about an hour once I get the process refined and all my tools ready. I do not plan spending an entire day doing it. I have other tasks I have to accomplish.

Yes, EVL ran wonderful PvP events which hopefully will return one day. I appreciate the effort that took, as I appreciate the effort everyone puts into all of their events. I too plan to put in a lot of effort on this event and others, but I simply cannot dedicate too much time to this because of other tasks. Sorry that you interpreted this as if I don't care about the event. This is not the case. I wouldn't have bothered making it for you guys if I didn't care about it.

Perhaps future events will show you that I'm putting in the time, perhaps not EVL worthy, but alas, I'll do my best as always to please. Also perhaps future events with different formats and objective types will garner your interest.

Jikininki, Aeryk, Sonja and 1 other person like this.
  14. Elgarion

It is an objective based concept in a PvP scene. So you're essentially saying Capture the Flag isn't PvP? People don't HAVE to kill each other for Capture the Flag, so why do they? They do because they're trying to keep people from capturing their flag and trying to capture another. That's a very simply objective based battle scene. This is a bit more elaborate with many objective possibilities, all of which can be thwarted by other players (or assisted if you're in a group/on a team).

No worries though. If you feel this format doesn't suit you, perhaps others will. Perhaps others (per the suggestion in the update) will create other events to coincide with alternate goals. Also a possibility.

15. Elgarion

• Added Deathmonger bonus objective.
    • Altered Master of Mayhem to solely indicate unregistered attackers.
    • Added Paragraph: Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for attendees of the PvP and Fishing events, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. After the first week of these events, likely there will be a pause for planning before additional weeks start rolling in, but after that point? Expect a constant stream of weekly events, each to feature new locations and new objectives.
    • Altered thread title to indicate PVP/PVE to the title.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Aeryk and Sonja like this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Honestly I don't understand the dislike towards this event! It should be making a PvP zone see a lot of traffic, and the main goal is not the PvP, it is a side effect, this is a wonderful idea, and you can count me in (If I manage to fit myself in the timeframes, which is hard with 2 kids and all).

Maybe if this event is popular devs could add an easy way to track these things so you can make the next events week long, so that that specific PvP zone can be a hotspot for a week, so that PvEers arent telling themselves it is gonna be the worst 30 minutes of their lives, and PvPers will actually have to scout the area from time to time!

Sonja and CatherineRose like this.
  17. Elgarion

No worries, Violet and thank you for the kind words. People have their own favorite flavors for PvP, PvE and simply gameplay in general. I hope to continue to expand what I can check for for future events, but to give you a sneak preview (which I hadn't planned to mention until after these first 2 events are over)... I plan to make pure PvE events that are styled after quests/dailies, weeklies. As for the PvP events, as I continue to vary objectives through future events as I learn more and come up with more ideas, we'll get a handful of interest varying by the objectives.

My goals here are not to repeat what players can already do in their events based on mechanics available to them, but to offer new and expanding options which MIGHT inspire some tech as time goes on. Hopefully folks see that this is experimental, and perhaps a step in some direction to give you guys NEW things to do. If people simply feel they cannot have fun attending, no worries, it wasn't their preferred flavor of fun.

One example of new tech, but its related to the fishing tourney, I have approval to get Wizardsmoke to add fish size to the logging data (tiny bit of work for him). This means the fishing tourneys can become more complex (and simpler! No more mailing of fishies required nor returning fishies!). I hope to do occasional similar requests to continue to expand my unique offerings for community events.

Bedawyn, Sonja, Vaiden Luro and 2 others like this.
  18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

If they add in hooks to tally up player scoring, then this would be some building blocks for goal based PvP systems like tower defense etc. That's kind of what I see this as the basis for.

19. FrostII

FrostII Avatar

This is why PvP'rs can't have nice things......

Aeryk likes this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Avatar

Never, EVER satisfied......