Catnip Games Weekly PvP Collections Tourney (Draft, Coming Soon!)

Discussion in 'Recurring Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Restless

Restless Avatar

I expect @FrostII and @Violet Ronso to be at the events for the entire time. Please don’t hesitate to post feedback after the event. :)

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Like I said, I would love to, I actually signed up, but Real Life comes before Shroud, and unless the brackets include a time I can be in, I wont be there, but trust me, if I can make it, I will be there, and the Poo vs players that anhk camp and what not can have a go at me I don't care, I will actually show up to give Elgarion data.

3. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

I believe the complete opposite. The bard tree has thrown a monkey wrench into pvp and has made it unplayable. The skills of which I will not mention because I will personaly abuse them and ruin other pvper's day if this event takes place. @Chris doesnt care about pvp, it is clearly apparent in how the bard tree WORKS and his creation of bandit gear and his absolute UNWILLINGNESS to fix PVP ISSUES. Just 1 example is the pvp group flagging issue that is being exploited BY EVERYONE and has been reported COUNTLESS TIMES!!!

I will not register but you can trust that I will be there showing the TRUE colors of the obsidian order. If you @Devs dont want to fix the damn game, I will show you how broken it is. Don't blame the pvp community.

p.s.: I applaud @Elgarion for his attempt and hope this doesn't deter you from going through with the event. At least someone at Catnip games is doing something constructive!

Vero and Dhanas like this.
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

Random unregistered PK's are welcome as well, as was indicated in the original event and updated event main post. Happy to have you, regardless of your reasoning ;)

*edit Perhaps that's what I can work on with my GM character, harassing the unregistered PK's -- that could add a fun element ;) I just figured out how to summon monsters today too. Perhaps not for this event, but future ones.

5. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

LUL
    THOU FEARS THE OBSIDIAN ORDER RIGHTLY!

6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The only reason I don't PvP is because there are no "No-Ransom" PvP areas.

I think that Catnip Games / Portalium needs to set some of the areas to have ransom some not to.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  7. Elgarion

Currently Obsidian Trials and PvP POT's that have had it turned off have no ransom.

8. Restless

Restless Avatar

And the Tartarus pvp maze.

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Is that true? The tartarus PVP maze is no ransom? :eek:

10. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Yeah, probably not intended but ransoms don't drop there.

11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That is probably the best place to have ransom working... man these guys got it wrong in their head...

Aeryk likes this.
  12. Elgarion

I let Chris know in case he wants to change that.

Aeryk likes this.
  13. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I'm wondering if the Shardfalls and one or more ruins should be no-ransom, while other ruins should have ransom.

I'm also wondering if there should be more levels in the Butcher Bay set, and have the main village be no-random while the rest of the areas have ransom.

At the very least you should rig some enforcer NPCs that attack anyone who fights without a formal dual or is caught pickpocketing inside the village boundary. They should be strong enough to deter even high level players from fighting inside the village.

14. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

This was... a frustrating thread to get through. I hope we are listening to folk like Dhanas that have been both constructive and helpful over the years both in game and during previous PvP events. Also super impressed with other folk that this does not come naturally to and yet have learned to constructively air their grievances -- or better to be part of considering viable solutions.

A gripe-fest is not going to bring any useful change. I beg those that are too angry to think and just need to vent over something unrelated that is broken to please do so in Discord or somewhere else with a friend that can listen with sympathy. Bug reports have a forum too. Disrupting an event thread to talk about bugs is a waste of everyone else's time. This is an MMO, we always have bugs. They get fixed, we move on. PvP is a great way to expose those bugs for sure!

So this said, i'm curious Elgarion. Which plans are closer to implementation that we might learn a few things from an event? Some candidates:
    • The Obsidian Trials area really is an interesting idea and fun when we had people participating (thank you so very much List!), it was simply never finished. An event might easily be staged there that does not require any changes.
    • Control points and wave spawns are already working for those that enjoy PvPvE. These elements also lend themselves to battleground style PvP for those that enjoy squad based PvP.
    • Castle sieges sound amazing, and while actual implementation might be further away, we might structure an event that involves groups agreeing on a win condition that does not require code to determine.
    Unfortunately the one activity i can't fathom any PvP type enjoying is gathering. I love ya brother, but oof. You might have asked some of us first.

Addendum: What i personally truly love is PvP with an RP reason to participate. The previous events we had with Hemswal and company were great fun. I hope we do more of these. Unfortunately a) they required significant planning and b) i sensed a largish portion of the PvP population felt the events were too staged, with predetermined outcomes. The player run versions of these like the Black Sails events are amazing too for those that are already immersed in those plots! I also understand however that RP/PvP types are a small portion of the population.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Violet Ronso, Dhanas and FrostII like this.
  15. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

@Elgarion I really hope this can still happen! As for the naysayers, they don’t have to join in. Let it start small, it will grow.
    I love the idea! I want to participate in every single one. Keep ransoms (there plenty of random free areas and events, this is pvp ), don’t mess with scenes (unless you want to add bosses or loot lol)
    Incase this still works out and fingers crossed that it does....
    Emmory Watsyn
    Plant Slayer

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:40 AM
    Violet Ronso likes this.
  16. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

@Elgarion This is prize ?
    Zena Karpo
    Tree Chopper

Violet Ronso likes this.
  17. Elgarion

I'll be offering a variety of events styles for folks. Not every style of event will be everyone's cup of tea. For those that aren't? I recommend folks offer advice on how to tweak/improve the particular event style, as there will be many styles we'll constantly improve upon in the years to come... Or simply show and try to have fun in a style that is outside of your comfort zone... Or simply don't go if you feel fun would simply be impossible (or in protest to a style existing).

As for story -- folks really should get involved with the next round of the Black Sails saga then. Catherine and crew are already in the works for another RP style event. Will I do story ones? Likely one day, but due to the extra effort involved, I'll be sure those are open to everyone as a non-pvp PvE only experience.

Ah good thanks! A willing victi…. errrrr… participant! :p

Adding you in :)

Yep -- those be the ones! :) Adding you in as well :)

For those that don't want to do this style NO NO NO worries, and please don't think this will be the only offering. Probably the only 2 things I don't plan to do are bracketed tournies 1v1, 2v2, etc since players can just as easily accomplish those on their own or story PvP events, since if I put the time in to write story, you better believe I want our PvE'ers fully involved as well. Not that I'm the greatest writer, but I'm sure I couuld muster up some stuff and keep it building. I was a D&D dungeon master for many years, and its a fun activity to story build for sure.

I'll have other style PvP related events coming very soon. Hopefully between the fishing contest exposure to 1 PvP zone per week, and a new item bounty concept also being active within that same zone (coming), that'll provide 2 weekly options in the same PvP zone to inspire increased activity. This collections type likely will not be weekly since it seems group forming will be a slow down, so it'll likely happen once we have enough people in the same location as the fishing and item bounty location of that particular week. Likely I'll just rotate back those 2 to Paladis Shardfall soon since I've already done asset name research for that zone for this event. I'll probably get the item bounty one started up this week (to be a partial week) or just start it fresh next week with the flip of the fishing tourney on Friday.

As for the main ones I'll be doing...……. The Barren Shores will soon be a new dev controlled POT similar to Hometown but solely for the purpose of PvP events. I'll be building a King of the Mountain Arena, a Battle Parkour Arena, and 2 Strongholds initially. I'm hoping to experiment with anyone willing on many concepts which will involve using existing mechanics to pull of some interesting results. Then as we experiment, we might notice a slight tweak to mechanics could provide a better result. I might be able to get a few slight tweaks in from the team if we can prove a particular event type is becoming popular as we progress with them.

So... in a nutshell so far, each of these will have their own threads for people to offer input on improving the design of each concept:

• Collections Tourney: gathering and item collection within a PvP zone to inspire learning a scene and reaping its resources under the pressure of PvP threats. Groups are encouraged to protect their collector who's earning them points. Thwarting the efforts of other groups is highly encouraged. Random PK'ers are always expected, who might face additional challenges from an undefeatable foe stalking them throughout the event.
    • King of the Mountain Tourney: which player can maintain a presence on the highest platform for the longest period of time throughout the event? No Random PK permitted, only event participants allowed
    • Battle Parkour Tourney: players battle atop an obstacle course with various objectives to reach.
    • Item Bounties: who collected the most of X item in the PvP scene (to be same scene as the Fishing Tourney PvP objective and Collections Tourney if there is one that week, hopefully players also create spin-off events in the same scene during the same week, spin-off events are becoming popular on the fishing side)
    • Stronghold Warfare: 2 opposing teams, each with time to build defenses using provided decorations, each with designated builders, protectors, team leaders and sappers (can deconstruct SOME of opposing teams deco) all to protect a flag/item/chest within the heart of their defenses. Each stronghold will be on an unhoused LOTM lot with TONS of blocks splayed out randomly to construct with.
    • Capture the Flag: Maybe... I need help experimenting with permissions, but with the new public move concept on deco, I think we're halfway to having a poor man's solution to the concept. Maybe. If not? It'll just be a flag to flip or item to take or something.
    • More as we think of them... I'll be avoiding 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc... hoping if you guys like those, you can run with those at your end. And as mentioned, I'll avoid story PvP since I want max participation for something of that effort level across the whole community.
    ALSO... when it comes to The Barren Shores? No loot and there'll be a skill level cap in place. Normally we don't do a skill cap on POT's since it also effects crafting, but since no crafting will be needed in this POT, we're good to go. The skill cap should provide a larger level of participation amongst folks.

Also also in regards to The Barren Shores? Sometimes a prize will be winning use of a LOTM, Keep and City sized home (1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc) within the town for X amount of time. Also, people will be able to reserve portions of the scene for their own events. Like with the fishing events, the more cross-over / spin-off events we have each week, the better. I won't be allowing permanent residents there since I don't want to pull away residents from other POT's etc.

Alrighty, lots of bold notions here, but I'll be slowing be getting this to all come to fruition. Hopefully this is met more with kindness and support and less with naysaying and frustrations. I'll be starting threads for each event type for brainstorming for THAT event type, so please keep brainstorming ideas in this thread still related to the Collections Tourney concept.

Also keep in mind, these will not be discussion threads for what's wrong with PvP mechanics or concepts. This will be threads related to the events in the OP. We all know forum rules dictate you stay relavent to the OP in the thread, so if people meander into general PvP discontent unrelated to the event brainstorming and planning sessions attempting to sour or derail community event building efforts, your comments will be moderated as disruptive. If you feel you wish to discuss such matters, find an appropriate thread discussing those issues or make your own. This will help us focus on building great events that hopefully can maximize everyone's participation levels as we construct a varied platform where all find something they're willing to participate in.

Have a great holiday weekend! :)

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 9:43 AM
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Wow, all of this sounds like so much fun! Can't wait for all of this to happen @Elgarion

Spinok, Jikininki and Elgarion like this.