1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Chain Lightning Fizzle rate in R40

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Chain Lightning's fizzle rate was set incorrectly for the last few releases. Someone pointed out that it was easier to cast chain lightning that lightning and I informed them that they were wrong as each tier adds 15% fizzle rate. They sent me a screen shot and I looked at the data. Sure enough, fizzle rate for it had been cleared at some point.

Warning players now so they can start adjusting their R40 plan to account for the extra fizzle. It will be exactly 15% harder to cast than Lightning starting in R40.

Thanks and sorry for the mixup.

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice any fix to casting in full plate with 2 wands, seams like plate with wands is a bit op atm. I hate to lose my CL though but I get the adjustment.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  3. Chris

Working on ways to balance out the plate casters but honestly, they are giving up all melee offensive abilities to do that.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

j/k
    Melee has offensive capabilities? Who knew?
    :eek:

;):p

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hehe I think @Chris he is talking about that 1245 coup the other day he got ;).

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

there should be no such thing as "Plate: casters was somtihgn you should have been dealing with since it started, no need to balance.

Should be almost impossible to cast high level skills Mage types while in PLate , now if / when you ever figure out Clerical (Paladin) stuff sure

but track record shows this will be broken and dysfunctional for 6 more months at least.

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Chris is there a reason my sheathed bow causes fizzle on spells in my non-combat bar?

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

because your rapid draw ability that doesn't cost you a turn/action means you have to consider it equipped... not sheathed.

#DndActionDrawMeansYouLoseYourTurn

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I dont think its out of the question. First, I dont think I have seen many plate casters and even if so they would have fizzle. Second, I think what you guys have designed for chain users is perfect. There have been many traditional chain casters. One of the main reasons I have worn chain was that I wanted to be a "cleric" type class. This means I run around with a hammer in chain and heal people. this just didn't pan out for me because I just cant deal with the healing in SOTA. I think Earth being like this is also perfect since it is STR based. It would be odd to expect a earth mage which the entire tree is STR based and defense based to run around with cloth. I dont think I have really ever seen anyone running around in heavy armor who is death, air, fire, etc... which is a good thing. I think the main issue is obviously us people using 2 wands which seriously reduces fizzle.

10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Chris, thank you for two things... fixing a bug and giving us as much notice as possible before this change hits us.

11. Krasavcheg

Krasavcheg Avatar

Can we public shame the person who told you such non sense :p

Thwip and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I was one of the loudest railers on chain lightning and I think it is pretty good now. It still has issues with distance, I have still seen people get cracked in Virtue league 10 meters up in stands from 30 meters out with it but not nearly as much as before. There are some other obvious magic schools that need it. I have actually come to the conclusion that the dev's actually do this on purpose to test the magic systems from month to month. When they were working on air, they buffer it up, all the uber players swiched and they looked at the data then they nurf. Now its Earth magic. I am 100% earth and I admit its uber and I expect a nurf for R40.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Yeah, nerf air some more! As if isn't nice here in oblivion-land where we've been put already...

14. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I quit air despite it being the tree that combos with archery once I found out the fizzle would be too high with a wood bow and leather. I don't get it but am rolling with it.

15. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Ditto, i have an anti fizzle focus skill to give me -10% less fizzle, and yet my fizzle says 19.x % still on chained lightening - that seems plenty really.. when you can zap through a good chunk of focus trying to throw it

Are we saying that nearly 30% in full leather is not enough of a fizzle? really?

16. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I have a question regarding skill tree nerfing and asking why we are not getting Obsidian Books of Unlearning like Portalarium promised back in release 33 when people had wasted all the time on taming before they nerfed it.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Release_33

is where they reference and I quote:
    • Obsidian Book of Unlearning: Players can now purchase a magical book from Obsidian Crown merchants that can reduce a skill down to the minimum level and recover 90% of the experience points used to level it (these are returned to your experience pool so they can be used to level other skills). We are giving each player one of these books as part of the changes to taming in case they want to reclaim some of the experience spent on taming.
    Many more skills that require nearly equal effort have been nerfed and has forced many of the players to change the playstyle they originally spent all there effort GMing. Why are we not getting a book for everytime a major change occurs to these skill trees? I've witnessed a number of them and have spent countless days leveling them up to find out the release that is coming out nerfs what I have spent all those days trying to achieve...

I would like to see more of these books given out. Can you make this happen @Chris because I think a lot of players feel like they've wasted a lot of time leveling these skills up to later see big changes with them and no longer want to use that skill tree due to it.

Thank you for the consideration

17. Chris

I'm hoping we can get in a feature where when a skill is changed in some significant way we can let players just use the unlearn feature that skill and get 100% back while they do. We would just turn it on for skills that were changed and leave it on just for those skills for one release.

hroth, eli, StarLord and 13 others like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

sweet

19. Curt

Curt Avatar

*pride on* looks forward to the second of my ideas that gets implemented *pride off*

Numa likes this.
  20. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

Can @Chris please tell me why chain lightning is getting hit with a nerf to begin with? I've been told it is because PvPers are whining about it... If this is the case, how about a more simple solution. If you are flagged PvP, increase the fizzle chance on this skill but if you are not flagged PvP you do not. I don't see why we have to hurt PvE anymore then it already has been. Tired of seeing PvE things effected because of PvPers.

StarLord, Toadster and liz_the_wiz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.