Chain versus plate

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nevyn Waldail, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Other than fizzle rates, is there any point sticking with chain as a dual weilder?

2. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Plate has a fair bit more damage avoidance (fair bit might be an exageration...)

But that's all we can determine from the tool tip.

I suppose it's an aesthetic or RP choice beyond build optimization. Maile was a brilliant armor for keeping sword tips out of your guts, but how many wacks to the shoulder and ribs by a warhammer would it take for you to strap on a breast plate and pauldrons? For me, personally, if you're not behind a shield, plate is mandatory. :eek:

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  3. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Its really just fizzle rates, you can get a lot more defensive stats from plate. Be aware that you can fizzle even some higher teir earth and life stuff with full plate on, especially while moving. A lot of people mix and match, chain chest and gloves will cut a lot of fizzle.

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  4. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

Gloves are the killer, if you plan to cast any magic just ditch the plate gloves and their +14% fizzle chance and pick up a pair of cloth gloves with +focus. That 14% makes or breaks higher level earth spells and lower/mid level water/sun/life spells.

I didn't notice this point until just recently but gloves are the highest fizzle chance besides the torso itself. And from a wizards standpoint it makes sense. How well is a wizard going to sign his spells in the air with bulky plate gauntlets on?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This.

Anyone who plans to use SOME magic should always have a pair of Fustian Cloth Gloves (if they arent focused on spell casting). Then, you can mix and match the rest to your needs. The only people who should be fine with other gloves than Cotton is those who do no magic at all (except maybe healing touch :p).

As for the chest, go with plate if you dont cast at all, and chain if you want to add some magic to your deck (other than healing touch and the buffs on your buff bar).

6. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

I use a full suit of plate + cloth gloves myself. But there is a catch, I use a 2nd deck to cast all my buffs earth/water/sun magic and my "buff" deck has a gaia's heart equipped which gives me -25% fizzle chance to cast all my buffs. Then I switch back to my sword/shield deck while wearing full plate + cloth gloves.

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.