Chained Obsidian Shard - PvP only ... really?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Lasazarr, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lasazarr

Lasazarr Avatar

As i found it in the Addon Store i was thinking: "Oh, could be an nice Decoration for my POT"
    But then i read this: This giant, awe-inspiring Obisdian Shard can only be placed in an Open PvP area
    and i was thinking "What the f..ging hell are they doing ..."

That's a bad decission to sell some Decoration Items which are only placeable in an PvP Area.

I personally gave a big [removed word by Berek] on PvP and i'm not the only one (sorry for the drastic words). [Berek - Don't post the words if you know they are drastic.]

This Game wasn't announced as an PvP Game, but it's drifting more and more in this direction, and i doesn't appreciate it.
    Whats next? The Overland Map is an PvP Area? All Questhubs are in PvP Regions? More and more Items/decorations for PvP-Players only?

I put a nice amount of my money into this game, but when i see that there is more and more of these PvP-Crap, i'm more and more in the mood, that i bet the money on the wrong horse.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
    Arc, Mata, | Grave | and 10 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

As I understand it...this has to do with the lore of the game. I don't think there's been enough detailed public conversation about this however, so I'm just guessing here.

Desolis has a chained shard and that's not in a PVP area, but I can't think of any other place that has a shard that is not PVP. I think Desolis is an outlier that may need changed, or that particular shard must be "inactive".

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Lustig.
    Ich habe genau das gegenteilige Gefühl.
    Aber so ist das mit Empfindungen. Sie sind subjektiv.

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well i guess if you want it your just going to have to move to a pvp area, sorry man nothing that good could be free! i like the risk vs reward aspect of it.

Brink1123, fonsvitae and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It's OK @Lasazarr. It's way over-priced eye candy. I'll never spend another dollar in the eye candy store now that they are fully pushing PvP on people. I'm tired of it - that's not the game I backed.

Now that they have illiminated the only functional items in the add-on store that were usable by all players (prosperity tools) I've completely given up on the add-on store. I would imagine their add-on sales have plummeted since then.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

LoL.
    Nuff said.

MrBlight, OxNull and Numa like this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I may be wrong but PVP is only limited by Oracle's influence. In the lore, apparently, Oracle's influence can't reach shards fall zones. This decoration is a shard, so it's probably a matter of consistency.

But @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos is right : The case of Desolis should be investigated, then.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

10000 placables created for this game for PvE... no problem
    1 item created that goes in PvP only (that fits the PvP theme)... people go nuts.

WOW!!! DRAMA!!!

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

When they create an item that can only be used by people who are not flagged for PvP, your statement applies. ;)

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

3 years and 36 releases of basically pure PvE content = no problems
    2 months and 2 releases of starting to build in some basic PvP content.. people go nuts

WOW!!! DRAMA!!!

OxNull, mercster, EMPstrike and 7 others like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Why do I have to have a water lot to place water decorations on?! (This question brought to you by, future threads. Future threads, we anticipate the new application of past drama.)

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That makes no sence, can you give an example?

The best PvP'ers in this game are the anti-PvP people on these forums.

blaquerogue likes this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Fact is that a vocal part of this community basically doesn't want stuff that connects to PvP. No matter how big or small.
    In the very beginning when I made my account I thought things would balance out at some point.
    Alas they didn't. First that left were the Uber hardcore PVPers. Then the hardcores. Then most of the average Joe PVPers. The uber hardcore PVEers are still here and still screaming. Fact is they have won and we have lost.
    Time to pack my things.

14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

There is very good reason for shards to be in Desolis, according to lore.

A shard would also fit right in with the story of Dead Horse, right next to Desolis.

But, it's an iterative process.

15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

You're stating that there are hundreds of placable items in the game and this one is the only one restricted to pvp. Which item is restricted to non-pvp?

Same goes for scenes. Hundreds of scenes (OK, maybe dozens of scenes) and only a few restricted to pvp-flagged players. Which ones are exclusive to non-pvp?

Duke Albert, Stundorn, Cirsee and 5 others like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

While I can see the argument, the recent events does not comply with as much of a trend as people are seeing.

So far out of the 500+ deco objects only 4 have had exclusive PvP implications. (Oracle Head, Lord British cloak, crafted Skull candle, Chained shardfall).
    That isn't a trend.
    (I did get upset about the Oracle Head back when that happened, since it went from having a potential cool effect to having a useless pvp effect with no previous hint).

It just means that for 1 out of the 6 releases after persistance we've had 1 with a slight PvP focus. For the success of the game we need to keep pvp-oriented players happy as well, throwing them a morsel like this is par for the course. With this many features it will probably be a while before we see as much progress in that field again.

The lore that
    @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos
    mentions, then that is clear from the Blade of the Avatar and the in game lore. Shards are what corrupts locations so that the Oracle protection doesn't function.

So from an RP angle I'd even be OK if all PvP POTs would get one of these for free on top of a scenic location so as to support the lore. (removed if one unflags of course)

MrBlight, Numa, mercster and 6 others like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

From a location standpoint I agree, Sir Frank.

Here's the lore:
    So really you're making a case for Desolis to be open pvp.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Please. Don't feed people facts. That's the Internet.

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

So lets reason through this amazing twist of words. 10,000 items work in PvE and 1 now does not. So .01% of the items in the game now require PvP. Your reasoning is that because .01% of the items are PvP that it deserves this drama?

As Drocis said earlier, are you going to file complains about water level items? How about items that only fit on larger lots? We could pop out hundreds of variables here. Why are you so hung up on the on PvP item?

20. Jonah Hayes

Jonah Hayes Avatar

Shards interfere with the protection from the Oracle. Wherever there are shards, the protection is gone.

The real question that should be asked is: Why is Desolis not PvP? There is a shard right in the middle of that town! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.