Chained Obsidian Shard - PvP only ... really?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Lasazarr, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

There is more lore of the Obsidians, their capital, and use of shards there, and of course, the Epitaph demonstrates this.

But, if they make a key story town PvP based on a decoration, that'll be fine. I can play offline.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Because pvp. And feelings covert as reason. And opinions covert as true facts.

MrBlight and 2112Starman like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not lobbying them to do that. I'm simply pointing out that the lore would suggest that this is a mistake.

To make up for that mistake, the developers will probably either remove the shards, or more than likely claim they are "inactive" or "drained of power" which is why they no longer pose a threat (or open PVP). This is fine with me because I'm not interested in competing over resources and assets. I just want a good game.

However as someone that likes to follow the lore and also enjoys PVP, I wanted to point out that Desolis is an outlier and does not fit the lore as we understand it. There's no legitimate reason (other than what I just made up above) for Desolis to have shards sitting around (unless they no longer hold power, or the power is so weak it's immaterial).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Womby and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

welp, so we have hundreds of items in the add on store and given out during telethons, we have probably about 10 - 12 places exclusively for PVP (which you have to consent to, to be there any how) we have dyes and music and emotes all great for a nice game of play between people that want to RP, The game follows a story line, so many many quests to go on. We get one thing for PVP that has no benefit except cosmetic(and all hell breaks loose. LOL back to what i stated in another thread, no matter what we get as PVP, PVE cannot live with the fact that we have it and they have to flag to get it! PVP and PVE will always be arguing over it. I swear there is never a medium point, im so sick of all that ****. If you want it go get it and if you have to flag oh well! If you dont flag then you really dont want it.

5. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Just one person blew up(or a few). There will always be someone that takes exception to anything and everything that gets done. I've noticed that.
    Just another person posting frustration and anger for pick a reason.

I like to play the game and have fun, this R38 has been a great release so far. I'm going to be getting into the PvP:D can't wait to get of wooork!

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, that's what I was thinking about when I saw that it was PvP only... the chained shard in Desolis... it has to be changed or explained, but if its just "inactive", people will just ask for an inactive shard deco. I don't know if there are any other shards in PvE areas; I don't recall.

But other than that, the complaints seem to just be an excuse for grievance-mongering about PvP.

MrBlight, Vrunk Hrrk and blaquerogue like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

we all know it will eventually be an inactive one you can have on your non pvp lot. It never fails we can have nothing for ourselves. history has proven itself time and time again. It will probably come in a lot of colors as well, RPrs and Non-pvp will love it! They can dance around it and pretend they are having a shard festival!:rolleyes:

skip to 39 sec marker

mercster, Vrunk Hrrk and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Lained

Lained Avatar

*looks at the Kickstarter list of game feature*

MrBlight, fonsvitae, mercster and 5 others like this.
  9. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Well said @Spoon. I've realized this for a long time as well.

MrBlight, Numa, fonsvitae and 3 others like this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have no problem with the shard being PVP exclusive, even though I have an Obsidian themed POT that could certainly use it as a decoration. Why am I OK with it? Because it fits in with the lore.

On the other hand, we will in the future be getting things like spider eggs that we can place in our basements. These will of course spawn spiders, so we can have PVE in our basements. My problem? @DarkStarr has decreed that these can only be placed in PVP basements. Huh? Yes, someone could trap you in a basement full of spiders. I'm OK with that, because it's still PVE. Spiders don't loot you or take body part trophies, etc. PVE players have no fear of death beyond the annoying loss in XP. They don't need spider protection. So, why the restriction to PVP locations?

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What I'd really like to see is an area that can toggle PvP. This would be similar to the platform you stand on to trigger waves of enemies at a Control Point, except that it would trigger PvP (after a short visual countdown) while on the platform and turn off (again, after a short countdown) once you leave.

Then, places around shards can have a PvP "effect", without the entire scene going PvP. this can also be used for things like arenas in non-PvP towns outside of basements.

Maybe @DarkStarr can add that to his list of future tech updates.

[​IMG]

Now the shard itself is pretty cool-looking, however I have a couple gripes.
    1. This is way too big to fit in a basement, which limits how many of us can even really make use of this.

2. For $100 (normal price), there is no effect on this? This isn't a magic-boosting shard, like in Blood Bay, or boosts Chaos Magic, or you can use it once a day to get an Obsidian Chip, nothing? Wow, thats expensive bling...

12. Drocis the Devious

Great idea about making it provide a pvp area close to the shard. Sounds like they would already have the basic tech for that too (think Oracle Head Statues). So it's just a matter of forcing PVP in that area near the shard. I love it!

But if the owner wants it to not be in effect, they need to remove it. It can't be a light switch (on/off). Also, I think POTs would lose their ability to ban players if they placed this thing down. Otherwise you open the game up to POT owner griefing.

fonsvitae, Thwip and Womby like this.
  13. Selene

Selene Avatar

Wow, that's awesome! Love it and #keepitPvP!

14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Name one item or scene that completely excludes pvp-flagged players.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

What does our argument have in any way to do with pvp-flagged players????

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

lol, I actually completely agree even though I am fighting the counter argument. My PoT is PvE and obsidian based and I would love on too... But its not worth all this drama lol.

Womby likes this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It's OK. Now that I'm not a mod I get to ignore people. ;)

If you can't see the reverse situation then our discussion is over.

Duke Albert, Leelu, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

All players either opt into pvp or they opt out. No one is forced to opt in anymore than they're forced to opt out.

The assumption you're making is that this is a PVE game. It's not. It's a game where you can opt into pvp or opt out. The choice is always yours, you're in complete control. That's the opposite of being forced to do something.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No scene excludes pve players, either

In fact, people who want to pvp are forced to pve to advance. I dont know of any way pve are forced to pvp at all.

It seems to fit the story that shards accompany dangerous areas. So ive also no problem with the shards being pvp area only

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We were talking about a pvp placeible and you just started talking about PvP-flagged players. You are making up arguments now, how am I supposed to play?

You have accomplished this:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.