1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Chance for random artefact in "reward" chests

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Ysold, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Many zones have special reward chests: usually they are located at spot where the spawn is especially heavy. It feels like a real achievement when you manage to finally clear the area enough to be able to loot such a chest. But there's a sense of disappointment when you see the loot you get - some gold, a few gem fragments, maybe a scroll or a few regs and some random item from the loot tables.
    It would be so much more fun when there would be a (small) chance to find a rare item in it, for instance a random artefact. It would very much appeal to my taste for treasure hunting to have a reason to actively seek out those chests!

Ysold.

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

OMG yes. I keep forgetting to make this request. Or even just adding some varieties of +x weapons with t2 components to chests in lower tier zones. (Or, maybe, use the tech that adds crafted items sold to NPC vendors to add items to chests.) It was always soooo disappointing to go exploring, find a chest, and pretty much get slightly better loot than you get from trash mobs. For good or ill, games have planted the notion that chests=good loot.

And maybe gem fragments in these can just go away. With the exception of a few recipes, they are largely useless as "treasure."

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they did this, it was hella farmed. when chris first put in tartarus the chests had the blue supply bundle loot bundle. people would just run for them. there are still a few chests in tough places that have more than the standard chest bundle, but not many and you really do have to fight

Vaentorian, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yeah, the issue with these requests are that those at the top of the food chain have no issues doing anything you might want to attempt already, so anything that has decent loot will be farmed and abused, aka. "This is why we can't have nice things". I do agree that some chests could get a change at a common artifact (if they don't already) since they are so easy to come by nowadays.

5. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I see the problem if the loot is too good or too easy:) But if there's only a small chance to get something nice from those chests, it would be ok, I think. Then it's not worth the time to farm them, but it will keep a treasure hunter's sense of excitement alive.

Let's compare it to wishing wells: I don't think that anyone would spend hours to actively seek out every well in the game, but I still feel a little thrill whenever I come across one and toss in a coin, because I once found some fireworks there...

Anpu and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I think the chests in the Tartarus Maze are a good example of this. They don't drop artifacts, but a chance at a nice Pure Black Dye, which is otherwise only a coto store item. With loot in general being spiced up and new items getting well distributed across zones and difficulty levels I wouldn't be surprised to see chests (as so much else has) get a bit more interesting, and certainly support it.

Anpu, Violet Ronso and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There are ways to solve this. For instance, look at the chests in East Sanctus Forest (which still have crap loot). You have to get a key from a naughty brat in order to open the chest. Put the key on a boss (100% drop) so that people have to work for it before they can open a chest.

Elgarion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.