Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Change value of special crafting materials (NPC vendors)

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Gatsu., Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

the SOTA economy is very slow
    sometimes a player can't reach OWL to place some rare material to public vendor.. (and wait to sell) and maybe losing materials in a weekend out of house...

just fix a little prices (to sell to NPC vendors on the game)

for example:

Beetle Crapace = 400 gp (or increase beetle carapaces finds X4 and use for armours X4)
    Pristine Spider leg = 500 gp (very rare)
    tendons (old suet) = 200 gp
    suet = 20 gp
    (just use it for cooking)
    hardened bone (old scheleton bone) = 400 gp
    pristine troll head (not smashed head) = 500 gp

venom sack = 5gp (and replace corpse wax on poison potion with these)

i suggest to replace this:

suet --> animal tendons (re-add suet as a cooking material.. maybe "fat suet")
    scheleton bone --> hardened bone
    troll head --> pristine troll head (a troll head is very easy to cut on every troll .. a pristine.. is difficult like now)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Price are set by player -

Player generated economy - -

Not to much else to say

oh wait yeah there is Owls Head is not the only place to sell items . . . .

And No to rasising prices for selling to NPC vendors they shold actually just stop aying for stuff like this altogether - there are plenty of market out there to sell these items at

3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

sorry wains i stopped reading your replies (to all users posts) a lot of time ago, anyone else more costructive interested to this?

Baratan and NRaas like this.
  4. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Perhaps selling to crafting supply npcs and then they end up appearing for sale to Avatars.

The item name changes make a lot more sense

5. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Or allow the NPC vendors to trade instead of giving gold.

Trade Suet for x number of Curing Salt

Trade Tungsten for x number of Coal...

That sort of thing

Lord Ravnos and moko like this.
  6. moko

moko Avatar

If you want a functioning player economy it would be detrimental to have NPCs buy items for the same amount of money a player is willing to pay. It would lead to lazyness and people just selling to NPCs, leaving those wanting to buy with not enough supply leading over time to an inflation of prices. This is just as undesireable as not enough demand for goods.

I like the idea to trade in my unwanted and unneeded goods (like leather hides!) that no one is buying at a vendor for other materials/crafting fuels. But since I am not very well versed in economic sciences I have no clue how that would impact the player to player economy.

Gatsu. likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ideally there should be an underlying reason why certain goods are in demand in a specific town. Maybe the town is having a home building spree so more wood is needed. Or it's engaged in a war so metal ores and weapons are in demand. It would make for a more dynamic & living world.

Levon LaJiqu likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fun fact: if you remove the usual insults he is right.

NRaas likes this.
  9. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

for example the "black cutworm" is payed right by the vendor! i just ask toadd a "more" realistic value to goods...

10. Levon LaJiqu

Levon LaJiqu Avatar

Gatsu, the developers are planning a player driven economy, this means that they do not intend for you to farm resources just to sell them to vendors for gold. Their intention is for you to visit various towns and see what resources are in high demand, then choose where to adventure based on where you can find the resources that can be sold for the most gold at that moment. This will achieve many things but the one that is most important for the adventurer imo is that it gives you a reason to hunt in one location rather than another each day and gives intention to your actions that are more than just gaining experience and leveling your skills. To achieve this to its fullest, NPC vendors should be removed from the game entirely and everything should be craftable from adventure collected raw materials. If NPC vendors give you substantial amounts of gold for your raw materials, the player will simply sell to the NPCs. This will result in low availability of raw materials for crafters there for, low production there for, a weak economy. It will also result in a lot of gold being generated into the economy which depreciates the value of gold.

This makes sense.

CrandalltheFirst likes this.
  11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This is a great idea. Increase sale to NPC value and allow the NPC to resale those items at a double markup. Everyone wins.

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Or you can put them up for sale yourself and cut out middle man but????

NPCs are not supposed to be driving an economy in this game they should be the LAST resort but unfortunately they have screwed up the economy so bad from the start with the insane need for so many materials balancing it out is a nightmare.

Not to mention so much raw material for some items are excessively overabundant and other are are so rare when they should have a balance - leather - ore.

But that is a result of game play and grinding needed to play - sorry but just not well thought out before implemented.

As a result leather is easy to find while ores are much less.

13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

You put them up for sale through an NPC. lol. NPCs drive the economy no matter how you cut it.

If there's enough demand for something players will sell it at their own set prices, if there isn't they'll vendor it to an NPC who will function to drive that items value up.

Buyers and sellers both benefit from this and the use of an NPC as the seller serves as a useful gold sink since players are buying it for double what it sold for.

Snazz likes this.
  14. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

we are every day fighting to force multiplayer game .. and everyday a lot of player say "I HATE MULTIPLAYER" or "I HATE TO SEE OTHER PLAYERS" and Portalarium seems to intend this game as a Single player game that "CAN PLAYED ON MULTIPLAYER MODE" (with a lot of restrictions... istances... bugs... crashes.... etc etc etc) ..
    i can't understand what is this PLAYER DRIVER ECONOMY on a SINGLE PLAYER GAME.

i have to open a BUG segnalation for the price of the black cutworm? from 200 to 4 gp?

BTW i think that NPC prices will change randomly (wave effect with a +/- 50%) based on location map and current day...
    it's not necessary to identify sell/buy rates.. to make databases... etc etc etc etc..

from day 1 to day 7:
    +50% +40% +30% +15% +0% +15% +30% +40% +50%

for example: (day per day for a week)

mandrake root : 6 5 5 4 5 5 6
    spider silk: 9 8 7 6 7 8 9
    cotton: 13 12 11 9 11 12 13

NPC can BUY like now at -50% of the day price...

players are able to buy reagents at low cost only 1 day a week...

this shifting value of starting day (1-7) it's necessary to make that on other cities (different coordinates) the price is less or more...

coordx/coordy*7 on a squared matrix (like our world) give a 1-7 value based on location...
    and after that just add a counter that go to 1 to 7 on week

coordx/coordy*7+weekday (weekday++ every day and back to 1 when is 8)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.