Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Character animations and movement are ruining the experiencee

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by devastat, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

It is never too early to start with critism. If this is getting an overhaul in time, the best moment to bring forward points of interest is BEFORE, not after the event.

Never turn costructive critism away, even when it's repeated. This just underscores how important it is to people. How strongly they feel about it. To me, today, SotA looks better than, say, Ultima 9, but - interestingly, not by much. And that is making me feel kinda uneasy. No, I am not a graphics kind of person. But what I look for is, ... way, way more feel for chaos in this entire world design. Cities are never completely flat/level, they are like trees, they keep growing, and change a lot as they grow.

To build a city that looks lived in, you pretty much start by building a village. Then add a rich man's house. That guy wants easier shopping trips? Add a town hall nearby. Add a bigger central road that goes by both. People are religious. Bring in the curch. Encircle it with another road. People die. Where's my cemetary? People want more food. Time for a farm, but some way out. Connect it with a dirt road. Bring horses into the picture yeah?

Get me a smithy. Oh, look, the farm starts horse breeding and gets a smithy. Away with the dirt track, we want cobble! Add shops in the village/town. Hey, supplies are running low. We need more, and faster! More wagons. Better roads! Even more cobble! More people settle in. Others have stopped living in shacks, they want stone and bricks now, and live closer to the center! Strangers come in more often. More inns. More shopping. More shacks further away. Another farmer! Our kids have pea brains. We need schools and orphanages. More people get sick. The church has a big side building to take care of them. The church wants more believers so the new church, bigger and better, and newer, opens the new city center, pulling a new market place and shopping discrict, police, fireguard, money and business folks, and yes, even a whorehouse. The earliest buildings in the center are decaying so why not scrap some and replace'em with better looking ones, like a big barons house?

Guys - - these places evolve. Constantly. As you design them, evolve them.

I've made the mistake of writing very detailed lists of what I love about RPGs in another forum, and then refraining from giving too much importance as player/alpha/beta-feedback. Many many players tried to give input into, for example, the ongoing development of Risen 2, when that was in development. But it was too late. Most of the critism was basically impossible to follow-through. Things were set in stone. Had we started earlier, that might not have happened.

Sunsanvil, Kirthag and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.