Character Slots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vedrix, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

I'm sure this has probably been discussed at depth before, however, I've been trying to search through the forums for an answer but I can't seem to find it. My apologies if this is another thread on an overly discussed topic.

I know that as part of the original pledge rewards higher tier pledges were able to have multiple character slots. I also know that I can, in theory, buy a large number (if not unlimited) of additional copies of the games and have additional accounts. Will there be any chance of additional character slots being added to the add-on store? I don't mind paying for another account since it's one time and it's not very expensive considering the amount of playtime which will be invested, but it's a real pain having to log out and log in again each time I want to change characters. Also I like using Steam as it tracks my playtime and has achievements and additional character slots in the same account would allow myself, and others like me, to stay logged in with Steam (or do achievements still track as long as I launch through Steam?).

Thanks!

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Once the additional pledge character slots are implemented they will also be available to purchase via the add-on store.

3. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to it!

4. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Oh, they can be bought separately off the shop as well?

That'll be very nice for players who only bought an add on to start the game.

Alts will be readily available to the SotA population then, which could allow the Devs to make Skill Decay more prominent (pseudo Skill Point-Limit) in future, and players rely on alts and others to provide skill-based services.

5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Only disadvantage of character slots is the shared "morality" between all accounts. So if you are wanting an evil character, and a good character, its better to buy two separate accounts or else they will both be neutral. Some don't care, but if you do that is something to keep in mind.

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have really yet to see any need for more slots considering how this game is designed. It could (we really dont know yet) be a big problem with skill decay.

Its always nice to have a full second account since then you can run both at the same time.

My main will be out farming xp and my alt is sitting in a mine farming. I just bounce between them while waiting for mana or nodes to spawn.

7. Vedrix

Vedrix Avatar

This is one thing I didn't take into account. I knew the banks were shared which was fine but the morality may be an issue.

Being an RPer multiple characters is almost a must for me. I like my human warrior, but I also want my kobold and undead characters as well :) Back in UO I had two accounts with 10 (and then 12 when they added a 6th slot) different character after several years. Most of them I didn't even focus on gaining skills but on the differing community experiences, which were epic.

Vaentorian, moko, Numa and 3 others like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes we have had many discussions about this, but Richard Garriot is adamant about it still being you and the morality stays with your character even if it's another character you have created. ;) A couple of old discussions for you;) and welcome Vedrix to Shrouds. :)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...lot-debacle-proposal-a-buyback-program.39108/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...utation-per-account.38976/page-18#post-443348

9. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

The morality and rep staying with all characters in an account fits the "Your actions have consequences" game gimmick.

My observation is that there are many characters in the game without a last name anyway as it's not mandatory, so the forced duplicate last name kinda loses much of its impact.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes perhaps, and I don't use a last name with my character so far. It is still the process Richard wants. ;)

Pikegirl likes this.
  11. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Last I heard they said they were going to make additional character slots purchasable but they might have an associated tax. (Which is a dumb idea but there you go)

Xandra7 and majoria70 like this.
  12. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

WTB Tax Free Anywhere Character Slots!

Vaentorian and moko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.