Cheap to implement UI idea.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Astirian, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Hey guys!

I was thinking something easy to add to the game that would add some polish to the UI would be stronger borders around the semi-transparent boxes, such as the hints on the loading screens and the NPC dialogue boxes.

I did a quick hack job here but you get the idea hopefully :)

What we have now:

[​IMG]

Rough example of what I would argue makes for a stronger, more polished look (especially for NPC dialogue etc...):

[​IMG]

I guess it could also be used for trade, inventory etc... too. I just always liked the stone & wood art direction of the previous games and I feel it would be a small change with a big impact visually speaking.

2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Here's an even rougher version of the "rustic" dialogue box idea:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

P.S: Loving the depth of field effect by the way! :D

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Good idea

Humbert_Humbert and Astirian like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I agree and good examples .... ;)

Humbert_Humbert and Astirian like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Avatar

I'd say add a npc portrait with various emotions while they are at it.. Like animated frown, smile, etc....depending on the dialogue. But not too simple I guess.

amarious and Astirian like this.
  6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

As far as I remember the devs try to reduce the visibility of UI in general as much as possible and this suggestion would be a big jump in quite the opposite direction…I’m currently not able to look into the options but isn’t it even possible to adjust the transparency of the text windows? Anyway…I personally do like the current borderless appearance more than the rimmed version in your examples but maybe there can be added an option that you can switch between modes.

@Nick
    Currently the visual animations are somehow limited but as far as I remember the NPCs are sometimes using emotes during conversation and I would guess over time and with the continuous polishes the npc will use more emotes during conversations…a separated portrait of the npc that is showing feelings while the npc is right in front of is in my personal opinion either unnecessary (if both are showing a reaction) or…would be “odd” (e.g. the portrait is smiling while the real npc right in front of us is not smiling).
    Thinking about it I personally would instead suggest to create permanent emotes for faces that can be used by npc and avatars and this would have basically the same function as animated portraits. On activation and your face would e.g. keep on smiling until you choose a different facial expression and if an NPC is furious, scared or happy his face will show this even before talking to him.
    I would even suggest that the “facial permanent emotes” of npc’s are instanced to make npc simultaneous looking uninterested to avatar A because he never talked to him, happy to avatar B because he helped him in the past and angry to avatar C because he had stolen some items from this npc….just think about it you are an evil avatar and everywhere you go the people are staring in anger to you while the always helping avatar is seeing everywhere just smiles. ;)
    I guess this would be no cakewalk to implement but might be a good opportunity if the devs maybe later create some kind of reputation system.

Nick likes this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Nice idea.
    Would do it a bit more transparent and the frame a bit smaller but this are nuances.

Astirian likes this.
  8. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

I would really dislike that UI change, and much prefer the existing one over that.

...but that's just one guys opinion and that shouldn't keep you from sharing ideas :)

Astirian, Alley Oop, jolanar and 2 others like this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

UI will be one of the last things they polish before release because they don't want to redo something before they know what windows and information we will end up getting.

For example, with the upcoming changes to resistances and combat formulas, they may change what appears on the paper doll. It could be more, it could be less stats shown on there. So they don't want to have to do the artwork to change it now and then have to redo it over again if something changes.

Personally, I'm really hoping they eventually allow us to have some degree of customization with respect to window appearances. I'm a big fan of a minimal approach where borders and larger windows just clog up the screen. I also would love the ability to drag to resize any window (and have the font scale along with the window size) because not all monitors are created equal. If I could have just one UI change, that would be my request. :D

10. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I would like an "always chat here" option. It seemingly always starts chat in the combat window (my guess is because that's when the last action occurred). And then frustratingly if you do hit enter in that window the UI adds that type of chat to that window even when you didn't have it selected before.

Daxxe Diggler and Drake Aedus like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm not a fan. To me, the best UI is a simple UI that doesn't occlude my view. Also, bright background colors are not good.

jolanar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.