Check your inventory for ~ New Player Handbook ~ item

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Grimace2, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

As of the date of this post, the item ~ New Player Handbook ~ appears on a pedestal in the Isle of Storms.

New Players in the past have had this item included in their default inventory along with the books:
    ~ Known Issues ~ and ~ Player Events ~

Do new players know to take the ~ New Player Handbook ~ from the pedestal and add it to their inventory?

Acred, Elwyn and craftymethod like this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

I expect this is to make the player more aware if its existence. If it is readily available elsewhere in game then it won't matter so much if a handful of players neglect to take it. Those people are so inattentive they likely wouldn't have found it in their inventory and read it anyway. Making it something that appears in game draws (probably much needed) attention to it.

Acred and Grimace2 like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think that you can't access the Oracle unless you picked it up - but I could be wrong.
    I could test later.

It is not. You have one chance to get it - however .

Nor is the Player Handbook tradable - so we players can't help them either.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...wn-issues-player-guide-events-handbook.76731/
    Got no reaction on that one.

Acred, Grimace2 and Womby like this.
  4. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

I made a trial account. My avatar with the title VISITOR was able to speak to the oracle without putting the ~ New Player Handbook ~ into my inventory.

Acred, Spoon and Elwyn like this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

This is more difficult to solve than it seems, because we all behave differently. Simply making it impossible to speak to the Oracle without first picking up the New Player Handbook will only cause frustration for some if the reason for blocking access to the Oracle is not made clear. If it is made clear, then that damages immersion. An alternative is to also make the book available in game from any NPC that sells books, and to place such NPCs in beginner areas. If it is detected that the book is not in the player inventory then perhaps the NPC could use whatever "quest available" signal is settled on to attract the attention of the player to the NPC bookseller, who could then offer such a player a copy of the book for free. Maybe change the title to something more immersive, like "Survival Tips for the Newly Arrived".

Acred, Spoon and Grimace2 like this.
  6. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

must be picked up from the lectern on the left before the oracle.
    I personally think it should be tied to the account as it is inportant help for new players and it is being missed by some players and you cannot go back to get it.

7. SlaserX

SlaserX Avatar

I picked it up, but I regret it. It's 10,000% worthless. I wish I could burn it for kindling.

8. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I found it helpful when I started playing, good to refer back to at the time ... I still have it somewhere :D

9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We made a recent change where the book is placed in your inventory if you do not pick it up at the beginning.

Serena Strangelove likes this.
  10. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Thank you!!

11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Just wait for the Players Handbook 2nd edition. It will blow the current one away, trust me. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.