Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chillblains

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The level design touchup is quite nice. Overall the experience was a step up from it's previous incarnation.

I like the Narrator idea, although the follow through is flat.

When asking him what his job is, he tells me he "Provides Context".

Then he provides almost none. We go through wave after wave and the "Narrator" just says, "You've passed wave X, you may proceed."

That's not a narrator, sorry, that's an automated help message. Lets get some story! Who is this guy? Why is he challenging us to pain and suffering?

Perhaps he says more at the end, but many of us will never get there due to the insanity of the Lich Room.

Since he's "talking" constantly throughout the experience, it would be nice if he was saying things that are more meaningful. Taunt us, encourage us, whatever his character is, lets hear it! Deliver the story as we go, not just at the end to a few super powerful parties.

More waves of spiders in the spider room please.

The difficulty ramp is still pretty flat for a long time, then spikes at the end. More ups and downs would be nice.

Perhaps even the choice to do some harder waves before moving to the next room. Like a control point, you could go back into the floating torches and get a harder wave, or you could instead go through the door that opened when you finished the previous wave, and move to the next room.

As a challenge dungeon, I'd like to be challenged for a longer stretch, not just at the final part where it gets insanely hard.

And this isn't as important here as in starter areas, but for good feels, make the chests lootable by everyone in the party, instead of only 1 person.

Overall verdict, we'll probably do it again, but not soon. The main reason it doesn't call me back with a burning intensity is that it was easy easy easy for an hour, then 1 room of hard, then 1 room of impossible. So The one room of hard is what I'd be going back for, and that's not a good enough reason to head all the way to Braemar and go through all that to fight in one room.

Still, it's a step in the right direction, and a good job.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Third shap!

Move along home!

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I thought it was no longer Chillblain's?

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes, more evil laughing please!

It's not. But I like the name a lot, so I'm sticking with it!

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

We should preserve Chillbain as part of the dungeon name for the sake of historical reason/homage to the designer/creator.

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Did that quest and got a Blank Book for our troubles. The waves were ok, and slightly harder in certain sections, but the blank book Reward was offputting. The Lich room section seemed way easier than it used to be.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I won’t be visiting Chilblains any time soon, but the role of the narrator discussed here reminded me of the fabulous (spoken) narration in the old game Dungeon Keeper.

The Indie remake of that game (War for the Overworld) contracted the same narrator.

The narration in those games injects a lot of humor and makes the games more fun.

8. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

From my understanding they pay homage to Chillbain as an easter egg in the Compendium. ;)

9. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@PlagueOfLocust and I will be talking about the revamp of the Compandium of Pain and Suffering with today's livestream! Dan and I will be chatting about it from 4:30pm - 4:50pm Central Time. Bring your questions and suggestions, everyone!

Thanks for the kind words! The dungeon needed some major reworking for a while, and we decided just slapping a bandaid on a few things wasn't good enough. Glad you like the changes!

This is a great idea! I'll make a Jira for myself to add this sort of running commentary for a future update.

We tried to keep a level of difficulty that was similar to the original version. We wanted to change some things, but not too much.

We're considering adding a "Hard Mode" option similar to the Lost Vale wave battles. As in, somehow you'd be able to "flip a switch" (possible literally) before fighting anything in the dungeon which would change all battles to have tougher enemies and/or more enemies.

We'd love to do that, but unfortunately that's not possible right now without adding exploits. But we'll continue to have discussions with our programmers to see if we can have a situation along those lines in the future.

Thanks! It's different enough that we were nervous about how fans of the old version would accept the changes, but it's good to see that players like you seem to like them.

Correct. While Chillblain's name may not be attached to the scene any more, his connection to this beloved dungeon hasn't been erased from the game. :)

I agree that the loot should offer something extra special. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything new and thematically appropriate currently available for that reward. The good news is that I'm often the designer who gets to distribute special rewards, so I'll be keeping my eyes out for appropriate treasure that can be
    added to this reward in the future.

10. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Maybe add some rare crafting components?

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Sannio thanks for the reply! In my opinion you very much succeeding in only bettering the dungeon, so calm your frazzled nerves. :)

In general every month brings more and more beautiful scenes, your whole team is doing great.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Maybe this: "I completed the Compendium, and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!" ;)

Barugon, Sannio, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  13. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

In a deep voice :

"Yes Avatar!, that is exactly the right way to go.. Muhahahahah"

Hornpipe and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.