Chris the economic impact of artifacts like Vex Wand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Restless

Restless Avatar

Agreed. There is one player owned town that is well known to have crazy high prices. We all know the one I speak of. There is a town across directly across the path within 1 second travel that has great prices, and those crafted items move pretty quickly. I have seen over 1 million gold in price difference on the same item, same ench and mws with the same % value between these two towns.

If your items (no matter what they are) aren't selling - lower the prices. Complaining on the forum isn't going to produce any positive effect.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Honestly, getting onto the bottomless discussion pit that is gear prices has little to do with gear power creep. I know the title is the economic impact, but in reality the fundamental question is:

Is there a future for crafted gear in this game?

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

with all due respect friend your mistaken. The ONLY thing effected by the "artifact" argument is the production of the base item. Sure, those crafters who want to be purist and insist that you "have to craft your base item" and throw up their hands and say "i'm done" and walk away, well, those type can't be helped. However, the smart among us will start to promote themselves as someone who can "turn your new artifact drop into an amazing piece so just bring it to me and let me get to work" will do well. As far as gatherers go, well a smart gatherer will realize where the money is (i.e. gold and silver) and adapt and still make money. Like most things in life its never a "do it this way or everyone will leave" and those who choose to be so black and white and leave, well, good riddance, they were holding us back. :)

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I see your point brother "but" one theme where our opinions are far apart is that Catnip cannot afford to lose any more players at all. When the main importance of crafting becomes MW or Enchanting artefacts we have another problem, those gatherers who are now under your concept of less crafting except for arties work will also see the demand for gold and silver ore dwindle. In summary, its a bad situation all around for game numbers, gatherers and crafters. Just take in mind the time factor put into crafting to become a great crafter. R/Boris/El Pirata

Numa likes this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Harsh.

Boris Mondragon and Anpu like this.
  6. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Tough love. :) :) survival of the fittest and all that jazz. :) :)

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Or maybe you just telling everyone who is into crafting gear to go find another game.

8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Chris sorta said that a couple months ago in a stream. So I did :D

I still play SOTA part time. The other part of my gaming time is in ESO.

It helped me appreciate SOTA better. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy both games now. I just realize where some of the SOTA changes seem to be inspired by other MMO's. Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Irony. For me the traditional MMO trappings of SotA 4 years ago were the annoying part we had to put up with in order to get to something original. The more like other MMO's this game becomes, the less interesting it is to me.

Design by "everyone does it so we need to" is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. But it's just an opinion. If Chris and ShurTugal would rather the crafter all go somewhere else, I'm sure they'll get their wish.

Yay! Generic MMO combat for literally no reason than to combat harder!

Edit: The real band aid that needs to be pulled off is Chris announcing who his new target market is, once and for all. If it's combat oriented players and that's it, fine, just let us know.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

No. I'm into the crafting game as well. I am simply making sure we are accurately describing what crafting actually is instead of taking the least important part of the crafting process, the base item creation (which by the way almost everyone can create a base item of stuff, there is no value in that) and adding value to it that doesn't actually exist.

11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I think his new market needs to address all types, he cannot afford to alienate or lose either PVPers, Crafters, gatherers, deco divas or party people. He cannot afford to have one walk away due to being neglected. R/Boris

Numa likes this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Seems like it's already happening, and just isn't being declared. Which is fine, just say it if that's the plan. Serving too many masters with a small team might be a bad idea.

Looking at 2020, in Q1 if you aren't adventuring you have a Koala Bear Pet and Inky coming (see below). Go through the rest and categorize "Adventure, crafting/deco/events, everyone" and see that of the things that aren't an "everyone" improvement, it's about 9/10ths combat/adventure, and the most ambitious of the 1/10th seem pretty vague and perhaps impossible to achieve (4 story maps along with 4 PvP maps, plus 4 more mysteries? I don't think there is person hours for that).

And back on the topic of this thread, then the following line pretty much nullfies anything positive happening for the gear crafters:

In Q3 we will get a "Major Crafting Overhaul". We'll see. Considering the above line, we'll see.

The user base is low enough right now that there won't be a better time for Catnip to pivot. If they have to focus on only combat because that's what is interesting to the team, then just say it, declare that the target market, and start building that user base. It'll be easier on all of us.

--
    Before someone says there are non-combat things coming in this month:
    (Mail was not an improvement for crafters or players in general, it was an improvement for Chris, it never would have happened if he wasn't banging his head on it. We had been complaining for years and it was classed as "not a problem").

(Salvage was an improvement for combat oriented people, they are the ones who bring back the piles of weapons and then sell the scrap to the crafters. Makes no difference to me how many I can salvage.)

(Inky: not a lot of faith that it gets fully implemented. Bare bones, yes, but beyond that I have my doubts. Interactivity within player systems has not happened yet in Shroud, they always stop once the "use" layer is complete.

If anyone wants to discuss interactivity we can do that elsewhere, but the short definition is "I do something, you think about it and perform an action based upon it, I think about your action and do an action based upon that, repeat. Dungeons aren't interactive at the moment (they are rail shooter), PvP is in this and all games. The Sims has a lot of housing related interactivity because your characters do things you need to think about and deal with, and they even fight back against you (thinking/acting) in ways you don't always expect.

I suggest reading one of Chris Crawford's books on interactivity if you're interested.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  13. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Even though I gave up on crafting except for what I need to have someone else MW and Enchant it, I feel for those crafters that have spend countless mats and most important hours and hours of their time. Take the bowyer. They don't make or sell the great bows due to Envy and Xen bows. Wands is another story with crafters taking a loss. Talk about leather workers taking it in the shorts with the Bandit Set. It goes on and on and now future armor will be drops with the crafters only getting to enchant and or Masterwork ? Who are you going to attract that enjoys crafting when its a lose/lose situation for time and effort. Lets see what happens brother, first look will come in R 74. I am even more disappointed that the new plate set that was talked about in the stream today is primarily for casters. How about us Melee that have to get in the mobs face to hit it. I am just perplexed at this point and feel this will lead to the demise of melee as a whole one bit at a time. R/Boris

Cordelayne, Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well, Chris doesn't do nor participate in crafting design according to his own words, but he is pumping out things that are making crafting obsolete, as again we heard today. So yeah, make a chart, what's the end point?

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

A full plate set. For casters. I hope this isn't true :(

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

From what Chris said, it's heavy armor pieces that have reduced fizzle. The pieces are not as good as plate, they have no other bonuses (like the stuff you get in the crown store) and they're artifacts, so repairing will require essence. Any bonuses will have to come from masterwork/enchant. It doesn't sound all that amazing to me.

Anpu, Boris Mondragon and Numa like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd love to see artifacts impacted by your virtue score. But not in the lame way the shroud is, where you get a mix of good/bad no matter what. Maybe the ankhs become "love" items. If your love score is high, the bonus is higher. If it's low/negative (you know, I still don't know if that's an all positive integer scale or if it's a positive/negative scale where 0 is neutral; for ease of explanation, I'll use positive/negative) the bonus is smaller. All artis would be associated with a virtue (or anti virtue, in which case a negative score would increase the bonus) and then finally LB wouldn't be a liar anymore, as our choices would finally have consequences.

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

IMO artifacts (and I use them) are hurting this game much more than helping.

It takes countless hours to earn sufficient xp's in the crafting pool to become a Grand Master crafter and beyond - and what do you get for your efforts ?
    The chance (rng) to maybe add a little something extra to - what has become the essential part of the best armor/weapons - the arties themselves - that simply drop and are not crafted.

If Chris were wise, he'd find something else to replace arties with - as sufficient rewards for defeating high level mobs.

Leave the best armor/weapons to the best crafters....... period.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Malimn, Numa, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree.

Pifester, Numa, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
  20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother, why would a caster want plate pieces with reduced fizzle? The ones that need both plate/chain are us melee and as a matter of fact we need something to counter the bandit armor set and its increased dmg percent output. I guess one of the devs should play melee and they may agree. By the way, as I said before in this thread they need to make it CRAFTABLE. @Chris ; ever play melee? specifically swords? Give it a try and then you may give us melee a "Boost" with armor and weapons. Remember buddy we are the ones that stand up to the mob/s and get hit to be able to hit. Nothing against the casters and ranged as some of you do stand in harm's way. R/Boris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.