@chris why does magic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Here's waste of time post #123456789

On top of some of the excellent points already mentioned in this thread, lets look at the state of some of the individual mage trees as well.

Air tree..... lol

In my fully geared and spec'd air build I can drop a stack of ungeared / unspecialized meteor / fire ring that costs no focus nor reagents and it will wipe out a pack of 10+ elites.

I kill the same pack with my air skills that I have trained and am geared for and it'll take 10x as long, require 20x as many casts each costing ridiculous focus and reagents.

Then there's charge times, damage values, procs etc of the skills.

Fully stack a Chain Lightning it takes
    5~ seconds to charge
    Has a Heat cooldown on top of that????
    Does crap damage half the time
    Might not even stun
    Specialization resistance debuff is a joke
    Unless you've skilled up some alternate trees for some kind of dot or something you're doing absolutely nothing during that period
    Has crippled dmg vs many mobs in the game
    Rofl

Not even gonna bother with the rest.

Xee and Brass Knuckles like this.
  2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea sorry I forgot to include air... air dps is so bad I only pull it out if I’m looking for a possible stun. As far as grouped mobs moon and fire aoe is fine it’s just all high level mobs when the damage falls off to nothing and I mean nothing. Many people pull 0’s - 10’s on the last lich wave(ut) where multi shots can break 1,000 (more maybe depending on the 3 hits n crits). And ofcource air is almost always 0’s it’s embarrasing even watch people cast lightening on high level mobs.

Don’t take this as a anti archer post I’ve no issue with multi being good just in that senerio it should not out dps banish.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Sway and FrostII like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Rook Strife
    Why would anyone continue reading anything you have to say on this topic after the line (below) which is totally untrue:
    Both meteors and fire ring cost focus and reagents.

Sway and Brass Knuckles like this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

lol

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

lol ? Really ?

[​IMG]

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think what you're saying is true of some schools of magic, but not others.

Fire (with or without other AE) is a sustained damage machine that can wreck a lot of high level content in ways that nothing else quite can. It doesn't work on everything, but it's a lot more versatile in pve than other magic schools.

This is from almost a year ago.

Death is a lot more limited than fire, but it also has sustained damage and resist debuffs, as well as infinite focus (restricted) and extreme survivability.

I made this just a couple of days after trying a death build for the first time, so I didn't even know what I was doing. There's definitely a decent chunk of high level content that I matched up better against with death than I did with any of my melee builds.

I totally agree that outside of these (and meteor shower?), most magic damage glyphs seem to be super hosed against almost every boss type thing for no apparent reason.

To me, it makes sense for melee to be useful in more situations than magic since magic is king of fodderizing normal mobs for xp, which is a big part of adventuring for most people. That being said, I think almost everyone can agree that there's no reason that a huge portion of magic damage skills need to suck against so many things.

I guess it's kind of an arbitrary thing, but imo any given magic school should be at least somewhat effective vs 1/2-2/3 boss types.

FrostII and Brass Knuckles like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Meteor shower since you brought it up there is a bunch of content that’s extremely or completely resistant to it, here is the big problem with that it’s the only dps skill in the tree and with spec the only benefit is cd if you ever used ms u know cd is no spec Benifit what so ever. So basically you take the whole tree and the spec for one spell that a ton of high end content just ignores. add to that physical damage types get auto attack so basically I view RoF and or MS as the mages version of auto attack.

Now I’d feel completely diffrent if there was a bunch of content where physical attacks were immune. It’s the immunity and extreme resistance that’s the problem when Aimed shot can break 1200 and lighting bolt with slower stacks no auto attack struggles breaking 200 there is a problem.

FrostII and Lazlo like this.
  8. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Just goes to show even the most hardcore grinders can always level a skill or two

[​IMG]

hyperbole
    [hahy-pur-buh-lee]
    noun Rhetoric.
    obvious and intentional exaggeration.
    an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally
    • I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
    • I have a million things to do today.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Can you do me a favor please and find another thread to troll?

FrostII likes this.
  10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think Heat is part of the issue, the cool down is too long. There should be a skill to decrease the cool downs as well one to speed up charge time. That right there would fix a bunch. I dont mind the costs. Focus is costs are fine by me, just the cool downs. like that of moon or Sun you only have one dmg ability and you can get either 6 shoots off then a long wait for a full charge followed by some smaller charges and or single shots. but after very few shots you are on a long cool down just to be able to attack again. Just my thoughts a little tweak and or new abilities @Chris

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Chris mentioned last year, yes last year new sun and moon spells. He again mentioned they would be in by last summer, then last summer he said they were short ananimator sooo I think they are coming but yea 1 spell in each tree and only one spell is a problem. It’s a huge commitment for a tree with one spell toss in all the super high end stuff just laughs it off with goose eggs :)

That came across a bitter sorry, meant to make is sound like more of a sigh.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Maybe there should be no Earth damage, but it be Physical damage instead. And maybe ice arrow be 50% physical and Meteor swarm be 50% physical.

Nvm that would be hard to do. Probly just make whatever attunment everything has have a weakness to the opposite school like brass said. Seems to be the easiest solution that retains strategic choosiness

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That’s a option but I totally forgot earthquake that needs to be a faster stack and fast time before you add spec to it. It’s way to slow for the non spec and way under used in whole.

I’d rather it just be fixed though but 50% is better than zeros

FrostII likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I jsut wanted to point out that Fire's bread and butter is damage and Air's bread and butter is it's stuns not damage. Air is super good as a support tree, Fire is the best tree for damage

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup I’m with ya on that I don’t expect air to hit like fire because of the stun, this is really magic vrs physical does fire arrow hit like aimed shot not even close. Nothing is immune to aimed shot and if you did find something that was difficult for it and you won’t u could use piercing. But alas I know ur not arguing against these points ;)

Nothing should be hitting for zero and it’s a often occurrence with magic. It’s funny in UT I’ll cast a chain lighting on the liches and see 0 0 0 and two get stunned.

FrostII, Senash Kasigal and Kara Brae like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/531134940054683658/555383229256040505/2019-03-13.png

I wanted to add some visual evidence of what im talking about, this is me vrs a lich mage. my bow skills are just above gm level and my moon is in the picture. look at the damage log ull see auto attacks hits 3x more times than the Meteor ticks for 400% more damage per tick. This is a high level lich from the 125 point dungeon. for testing purpose I also included aimed shot with what I consider a decient bow.

ill add this is with 150 meteor and 235 int id bet there arnt too many in the game with those stats so its even worse for a lower level toon. that's with 224 sun spec and 150 enlightenment on as well. so my MS is hitting about as hard as possible.

@Chris

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  17. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not I’m comparing it vrs auto attack, and more important and more directly is I’d bet if anyone else in the game casted this it would be all zeros.

1644 auto attack vrs
    53 ms and my moon skills with spec are threw the roof.

That’s with bow equipped not wands but it’s with int gear int buffs so mostly a mage build and the is even a int bow.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree some stuff is way too resistant to too much but i dont think liches are in that category. Folks kill them with fire pretty effectivly as well as banish

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yes but I’m talking more than liches I’m talking most high end content example envy angel I get all 0’s with magic.

I personally think there is some scaling issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.