1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Chris's Release 10 Ramblings!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

For testing purposes it's fine. But I second that killing things for no reason (like the deer in the Challenge Dungeon) is a very unsophisticated way to reward players. I challenge the development team to come up with a better way by launch.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, that's an awful lot of chickens and sheep we have to kill o_O I can picture crowds of players hanging out in towns waiting for them to respawn :( Oh, the horror... :eek:

3. Drocis the Devious

Reminds me of this. :)

4. Net

Net Avatar

I quite agree. I was playing game like D&D and DM was instructed to give more XP to people who actually avoid monsters or find a peaceful solution. Also there were times when they should subtract XPs for killing monsters (usually for meaningless violence committed out of character - by a good character who is supposed to avoid violence). Though this can be done by person, not sure if program can distinguish when violent solution was bad and out of character. Besides people would learn how to exploit bonus XPs for not killing monsters:/

We do not have to slaughter innocent chickens and sheeps. Did you guys forget that there are areas infested by watchers? Though I guess we will be waiting for them to respawn as well:p

5. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I envision huge BBQ events of roasted chicken and rabbit!

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

The poor rabbits and chickens. :(

I hope so much that there will be huge Killer Pumpkin fields. :D

7. Drocis the Devious

Chris, would armor (encumbrance) also impact natural running and walking speed? I think that would be a nice advantage to have for people wearing lighter armor and cloth, the ability to run away so they could live to fight another day.

Arianna, Lord Lonn and Net like this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I can assure you we plan on making this game balanced. We have a few of our members that will purposefully find exploits AND REPORT THEM on how to "beat the system" but we will NOT cheat to get an edge over other people. If there is a "simple grind to win" that starts to occur it will be posted so everyone will know of it to A) balance the field and B) assist in getting it patched that much quicker.

:) We're not the guild you need to worry about because we have a strict "no cheats/exploits" policy that we hold (actually it's a "no drama" policy... and cheating/exploiting is a huge drama causer so that's why we don't allow it).

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hey, I trust you guys to play fair, Duke Violation :D ( I just meant, on average, you guys tend to better PvP players than the rest of us :rolleyes:)

Other guilds and/or individuals I'm not so sure about o_O

Duke Violation, Arianna and Net like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Say what? Why would there not be any advancement through quests unless what you are trying to do is make it so questing isn't important to the game, making it more of a sandbox and less of an story based rpg. Usually games op for quest based only and none for combat before they go the other way....I'm a bit confused by this approach...

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

+1 for advancement. I have been dying for some sort of progression. Just doesn't seem like an RPG without it.

12. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

My understanding was that this was the intention for the testing phase only, due to the small number of quests in the test releases. I haven't counted them, nor do I know how that mechanic alone would work, but for the sake of example how could one test progression to "level 30" with only 10 quests?

13. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

While I'm at it, was I the only one who thought that the video about game fowl roosters was about sizing up your opponent and playing fair, and not about killing chickens for XP?

Back to the release 1 chicken room for the lot of you!

Lord Beli likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I understand that from the first part of what Lum said....it was the continuation of what he said that concerned me.

15. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

One would hope that this is one of THE areas where RG would excercise his influence to veto the design decision.
    For the testing phase XP from combat alone makes sense. For the game itself, I could not fathom players gaining high levels of experience without progressing through the story.

16. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Great update Chris!

Really like the leveling and encomberance however the penalty for plate, would the penalty be less for plate I would make myself? And would that also depend on the

weapons, Halberd, vs bows with a 1000 arrows, or a kite sheild and so on. I think just the plate penalty has to be "balanced" by other items that things that a mage

might use as well: like if they are not wearing armor and take a hit from a Halberd pole weapon or large axe, the penalty should be devastating to that armor less

Avatar... kind of seems like the emcomburance was all about the warrior type player.

Arianna likes this.
  17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great update from Chris here. Looking forward to seeing how the skill points earning approach works.

Arianna likes this.
  18. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I Guess it'll be best to spend more time SP at first then is what i'm thinking to kill the little bunnies lol. So i'm not embarrassed by being killed by one hehehahalolol

Arianna, Gaelis and Net like this.
  19. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Thanks Chris for the update!

Like others before my post, I'm agreement with the encumbrance system, here's my +1 to that! :D

Look forward to R11 challenge dungeon (assuming it's coming back?)

Arianna and Net like this.
  20. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Hey got confused at the end of the post when he referenced WoW.

Does that mean gear is going to be horizontal progression and skill points/level the "power" check?

The paragraph seemed out of place...I think my comprehension skills are lacking :(

Lord Lonn, Net and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.