1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Chris's Release 3 thoughts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Before I dive into my R3 write up I wanted to share two relevant quotes by Leonard Bernstein and another by Patton that are for the SotA team more than for the fans. I’m sharing it here because it will probably be helpful for the fans to understand some of our challenges:

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” - Leonard Berstein

“A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.” - George S. Patton

While I’m not quite ready to get these quotes tattooed across my chest, I do think they seem more and more relevant every release to keep things in perspective. As we continue with this crazy experiment of doing live development on a tight schedule and budget but a big vision, we have to keep reminding ourselves of the sentiments contained in these two quotes.

The first quote can be interpreted several different ways and they are all relevant. To make this crazy experiment work, the whole team needs to always feel the urgency. This isn’t a 100+ person team on a 5 year project, we don’t have time to sit back and relax because someone else is carrying the load if one person slacks off.

The other way that I hope the team takes it is that the greatness of accomplishments must be judged somewhat by relative expectations. Even though we all know each release could be better, the fact that we’re doing so much with so little is a great achievement in itself and we have to use that positive energy to fuel us so we can push to continue to complete our plan with not quite enough time for each release.

The Patton quote is more for the grizzled veterans on the team who cringe every time we get ready to do a release and there are 200+ bugs still open. With this crazy development experiment we’re conducting, we can’t be perfectionists, we just don't have the time. We have to instead focus on doing well enough that we can get the information we need out of each release and hope that our fan base is informed enough to know what they are seeing and look by the little bugs. If we delay plans, it needs to because we aren’t going to get what we need out of the milestone and not because of minor cosmetic issues.

So, now that I got my usual soap box speech out of the way, on to R3 stuff!

I think if I had to pick one word to summarize R3 it would probably be surprising!

First, I think it was surprising how much work we still had to do to get multiplayer working _well_ despite having had it mostly working for months. I think it was surprising how quickly we were able to improve our bandwidth usage which we managed to reduce by about a factor of 20 in a matter of less than a week. I think it was surprising that the release wasn’t buggier since we were essentially coding directly on the live branch until the very moment we let people in on Thursday and many last minute fixes went live with little or no testing.

Once we let people in, I think it was surprising to see how many issues came up that we had never seen before internally. Lastly, it was surprising how quickly we managed to fix some very major issues.

Most people didn’t know this but we opened a Dev+ test several days before the main test just to make sure all of our ducks were in a row. What we found was that our ducks were scattered all over the yard, stuck down in storm drains, and wandering around in the street drunk.

On the first test we managed to make it 10 minutes and get just over 100 people into the game before everything caught fire and burned to the ground. The Dev+ forums were full of people posting “Great test, too bad I couldn’t get in to see it!” This was less than a week before we were expecting 7500+ people to play over a 72 hour window. There were at least 4 major things that were identified as problems and all were fixed and tested again in a matter of a few days thanks to some Herculean efforts by people on the team.

While release 3 had some major glitches, overall we think it went pretty well. This release had more people than release 2 but a few hundred less than release 1. The biggest difference though was that the play time per unique person was through the roof for this release. Of the 7500+ people who played, more than 3600 of them had at least one session of an hour or more even though we actually removed houses and some other content. With the exception of a few hours during the nights, there were at least 100 players online throughout the official 72 hour test window.

The good news is that we learned that the servers can easily handle 64 players on a map without any problems. Unfortunately, many clients couldn’t! We have spent most of this week cleaning up performance issues and found lots of interesting bits that have resulted in massive performance improvements on the clients for multiplayer. We’ll probably do a Dev+ test soon with that 64 number turned up some more and see if our client performance fixes hold up.

We also found that some people had connection problems that we hadn’t seen before. We think we have now tracked these down and they had to do with issues with our DNS causing time outs on the client connection.

The worst issue we had was rare but very painful. Rarely, a player would change maps but actually end up on a different map on the server. So on their client they would think they were in Kingsport but the server and master client had them in Owlshead. The result was an insane number of errors being logged and everything being out of sync. Fortunately this didn’t happen too often but when it did it was cats and dogs living together and everyone on the map suffered while their clients logged messages like crazy about the trouble maker.

I’ll be spilling more details on technical stuff and humorous bugs over in the Dev+ forum <obligatory Dev+ plug!> so keep an eye on those forums later today. As you might expect with the first multiplayer test, there were some very humorous issues that came up!

Again, thanks to all those that joined us in testing. We had over 7500 unique players join in this weekend to help us stress the servers and we’re happy to say that you all failed miserably and the servers barely showed any load at all! Now to fix that client to get some of those hitches and low frame rate issues cleaned up before R4!

Thanks for reading!

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Super Chris !

The statistics are awesome!

Personally, i play a lot more than the previous two R1 R2.
    It was more attractive. Many role-playing, the presence of Dev was also nice.

A couple of Pks whit Red Name in Town. Fantastic :D

Cant wait for the R4.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Thanks Chris.
    :(

Golem Dragon likes this.
  4. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

R3 was amazing and you guys deserve a lot of credit for pushing it out so quickly. Still, much to be done of course.

Thanks for letting us see our virtual friends, make new ones and get to be roof-atars!

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Given how big the scope of the project is, and how small the team is, would you ever consider opening up even more to the Dev+ tier to contribute?

I'm not sure if you could fully open source the client (that would be amazing). But what about releasing client code to the Dev+ tier with an NDA, and allowing them to contribute to helping fix some bugs, or polish the Linux/Mac ports?

A fully open source game client might bring some more attention and visibility to the project, in turn bringing more funding as well. You don't have an outside publisher telling you that you can't. Just separate out any anti-cheat mechanisms into a closed source library you use and open source the rest of the client without art assets or server code.

Joviex, LoneStranger and Golem Dragon like this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

*stays tuned in*

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Awesome post, Chris!

Two things:

1) This is a great quote! :)

2) Although you're following the Agile Development Model...as in all things, life is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't burn your team out. You guys are performing amazing work. But I get the feeling that you're at capacity. Is there room in the Agile Development process for breaks? Maybe you should schedule some in through the process. Forced breaks, everyone goes bowling or sees family or whatever. I see you guys here on the weekends, late at night, early in the morning.

It's all greatly appreciated. But don't underestimate the need for recharge time. I'm guessing that Patton wasn't in the same battles for years and instead was there for days, weeks or months. ;)

I can't wait to see R4!

8. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Very nice report, thanks for sharing this. This, like most all of what I hear from the dev team is very reassuring. Coming from someone in the software industry your approach and plan makes a lot of sense, particularly for an experiment in somewhat agile development sprints and incorporating community assets and feedback.

Playing Release 3 made me more excited that I have been in a long, long time. I guess as I get older I take more of the good things in stride and only get worked up about negatives. This experience is reviving childhood-type excitement in me that I haven't felt in decades.

Portalarium - Keep up the good work!

9. strife

strife Avatar

What does 7500 unique players mean? I deleted my character a handful of times and made a new one, does that count into the 7500 unique?

10. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Thank you for taking the time to write such a well thought out blurb. Can't wait for R4 and maybe just maybe I'll be Dev+ by then. :D

11. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Said this in the IRC chat room and will repeat: I miss your humor Chris. Nice to hear from you again :)

Golem Dragon likes this.
  12. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Owl's head was extremely laggy over the village - was this just the clients not being able to handle 64 players of chatter as well? My assumption was there was just less people on the other maps, due to crafting and crashing getting there, etc. If you have sped this up (the client) and the servers are not struggling with the player count, this is really great news!

Great work, and the quotes are awesome. I really like the way you think sir! :)

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Will you also be posting your dev+ R2 findings that you promised last time? heheh :D

(That never got posted)

aevans, Chris and Leinad Laurelwreath like this.
  14. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

Thanks for the summary and your insightful perspective. You guys did a great job and we thank you for it. It has been a pleasure to watch the game evolve. I look forward to seeing it all come together in the end.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

@Chris

First off, congrats. Sounds like you will be having fun for a while.

This is exactly the kind of transparent, community content I expected from the initial Kickstarter.

And I just want to say, YOU and Stephen are excellent examples of industry veterans who know how to deal with not only your immediate manager duties but also communicate with external schm... parties.

You have never let me down with your phrasing, or your candor. I thank you, and Stephen, for your attitudes, even with having this much attempted project exposed this early in the process.

I'd wager, no I'd state, some others could take serious cues from your approach.

Cheers.

16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Looking forward to dozens of new features.

A personal fav quote "greatness doesn't happen overnight."

17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

That is 7500 unique accounts logged in. I didn't even look into how many total characters were created.

18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Do you guys have plans on posting some statistics in game for us (R4+)? *thinks back to /who in wow and all the queries it let him run based on name/guild/location/level/etc*

19. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Please try not to forget including some statistics on OS usage. Linux support is a big reason i backed !! And i hope i'm not the only one ;)

Lord Ao Soliwilos likes this.
  20. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

These type of insights are by far the most interesting to read. Thanks Chris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.