CHRONICLES of ELYRIA

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Abydos, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

A lot of action, I cant wait to the pax.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Logain perfectly summarized my view on this project. I backed several Kickstarter projects. COE, I backed with a relatively small pledge. I would love for the COE team to deliver for themselves and the backers.

Unfortunately to date nothing substantial has been delivered from a technical point of view. As an Engineer, I respect the tech. Until I see the tech, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If I am wrong, I will be the first to gladly admit my incorrect assumptions. Otherwise tread lightly with COE, dreams don't always come true.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well i am in with 1000 usd.
    I like the vision of this project and I believe that the spatialOS crew wouldn't push CoE as they do if soulbound wouldn't have shown them something substantial.
    If I am wrong and the project gets run into the ground i still believe it was a vision worth supporting.

Ravicus Domdred, Numa, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It's no coincidence that a lot of folks that backed SotA and Star Citizen are also backing CoE - and with comes all the drama that SotA and Star Citizen have both had to suffer... critics will always do their thing. It's kinda funny in a way, even Derek Smart has been lobbying against CoE - and it almost ensures success on CoE's part. haha

One thing Caspian does with his project; he manages expectations. He's holding back more than I'd like - but I can respect why. They're hitting all the right markers to keep interest legit and they communicate directly with just about anyone willing to hit them up on Discord. I'd love it if there was a playable demo released for general consumption - but with that a whole string of new problems would creep in. People would start with armchair development suggestions and scream and cry salty tears about what should be steered in what direction. I'm in CoE for a duchy and a Chimera design experience and I'm perfectly ok with how things are progressing. It's the game I play regularly that stresses me out. lol

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Really? I mean... Seriously?
    What the hell is wrong with this guy anyway?

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

7. Logain

Logain Avatar

I was hesitant to reply here, since, as I explained, Caspian's investment on the project has no positive and no negative connotation for me. As such I'd normally simply let the topic rest. But this presents a nearly perfect example on how Greyfox and the people arguing with him are on a completely different way of perception on the project.
    You and the others have faith and trust in Soulbound Studios and want to believe that Caspian & Co. can pull of what they have set out to. This means, 'the company existing' is solid prove to you of an investment.
    Greyfox (and a few others, including part of myself) is skeptical and, while wishing them success with his own monetary contribution, has a hard time finding prove that they are working on the project in a way that ensures funding won't cease before they manage to release (which would mean either get an investor or the project not seeing the light of day). Now he would point out that the company might or might not have existed on paper, but that there is no visual, traceable sign of their work effort. These three people might have worked hard on the project, but what they could show and release to the public is a few design journals, a couple of videos, some Q&A sessions (where you never saw anybody but Caspian and his desk), the Kickstarter page and the combat demo for PAX East. Nothing a single person couldn't do in his spare time (over a year), even with a full time job. Everything past that is again a matter of believing that it happened, based on Caspian's word for it.
    Had they released a working, decent looking demo (what they are preparing now as 'the Prologue'), as they had promised and intended to, then things would be different. That would have been a clear, visible, reliable and undeniable prove that there has been more than a single guy working on the project in his spare time.

I hope that might help to explain how the perception differs and why you're arguing and one doesn't understand and acknowledge the arguments of the other (while you're both hoping for the success of the project).

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Clearly, you're not keeping up with CoE news; check out the dev blog:
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog
    [​IMG]

I wanted to come back and add that I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make. If you're keeping up with development and staying engaged with what's being discussed and giving consideration to what is being done and what is coming and what's being discussed behind NDA you'd probably have a changed opinion of things. I get skepticism, but as skepticism goes - to insinuate there's nothing but smoke behind what's been presented seems just a little bit of a reach. Now, add to the conversation the fact that there's precedent for people getting hemmed up the by the legal system for misrepresenting crowd-funded projects and you've got even more reason to believe what's being said by SBS.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes.
    Most of us are actually aware of that.
    It isn't a real discussion anyway. It's more like an exchange of opinions with a bit of friendly banter.
    That's why I said it's about the vision. You could as well say it's about belief or trust.
    You have no trust. Dose that make you wrong? Of course not.
    I have trust into the project. Dose that make my point of view the only correct one? Hell no.
    With a project of that scope and a lot of hyped people it's always good to keep a few skeptics around. You will be needed at some point.

10. Logain

Logain Avatar

I've read through every design journal, listened to every Q&A video, seen all the Kickstarter updates. Non of that shows anything past text, screenshots and videos of what they have done before (or even after ;) receiving their Kickstarter funding. I was trying to point out that existing on a sheet of paper doesn't mean employees of a company are getting paid.
    But it seems my efforts to explain Greyfox point are futile and I failed horribly, so I'm going to surrender. Thanks though for trying to understand and read my posting, much appreciated!

Ravicus Domdred and Abydos like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I get it - you've only got a little bit of the information being dished out, and that's partly due to the NDA SBS put on the Early Access and Exclusive Access forums. These are real people, and they communicate and have an office and employees and they're in the USA which has a 1st world legal system that has an established precedent for crowd funded projects regarding how backers are treated... etc... etc... etc... The project has established milestones - and they're available to everyone. There's some good stuff coming to the folks in the Exclusive Access group - but like I've mentioned before, can't talk about it because of the NDA.

12. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

I was wondering how long before the bickering started... If your not happy with the progress discuss it on the official discord or COE website..for the love of whatever you choose.. don't get this thread locked or deleted because folks want to cyberflex their ideas on what is, and what should be..

13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So you say there's no "visual, traceable sign of their work effort"... then proceed to rattle off a whole bunch of work they'd done prior to Kickstarter... before dismissing all of it out of hand. You can't have it both ways :)

Ravicus Domdred and Abydos like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I prefer the Game Room section to be like news feed for games, but with juicier information shared by the community members.

Friday Night Forum PVP topics can go to General Discussion.

15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Those more deeply entrenched in COE need to push for a playable tech demo at Pax East as promised. The tech demo needs released to the public following Pax 2017.

We have enough COE screenshots, short videos, and ideas to last until release. Time to put up something playable.

If they want any more cash from me, I need something to install and test.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Then throw more ca$h at them when they do. They don't need ultimatums, from individuals not entirely into their concept, to change the path they're on. Like any game -- including SotA -- it'll happen when it happens.

17. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Anyone here will go Pax ?

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I wish they could. Sometimes I miss the good old eve online pirates and mercs forum ^^

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I would love to. Alas I would have to fly around 1/3 of the globe so ehhhh no ^^

20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Tickets are sold out. Anyone have a spare ticket to sell?