Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cinnamon dekstop crashes on launcher/game won't launch. (Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa)

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by eon, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eon

eon Avatar

So, I've decided to give a second chance to the game after I left disillusioned after trying 2 of the earliest alpha-releases (some of you might remember my threads about this). Since I mostly use Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa more than Windows 7 and since the game offers the possibility of installing it easily with a .deb (props on that...) I tried it out.

The installation process went well with the .deb, after opening the launcher everything works as expected, the game downloads/patches and all that, but when it is ready to play and I launch it BOOM! cinnamon desktop crashes asking if I want to restore it and the game wont display at all (altho the process is running and I see the icon on the menu bar). I then need to kill the game process from the system monitor or the desktop keeps broken and nothing else happens. Now... when I've gone thru this error I can re-launch sota's launcher but this time when i press "launch game" nothing happens, it goes to an endless loop of "launch game / updating path client / updating game / go back to step one and repeat endlessly".

I wonder if anyone has had the same error (even if not with the same distro) or atleast, if it is a known issue.

Ps: Other games work just fine, and yes I use the nvidia drivers. In fact, it worked just fine with one of the earliest pre-alpha releases on this very same machine.
    Ps2: As always sorry for the horrid English.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome back. You should bug report and list your system information to get help.;)

Moiseyev Trueden and Time Lord like this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Im sure you Mint users hate hearing this, but... it works great with vanilla Ubuntu (14) with Unity! I wonder how many GNOME users there are on here. In fact, there should probably be a linux-specific feedback forum on here, as there are many nuances between systems that could be the culprit of some graphical issues, and players could more easily share troubleshooting experiences amongst each other, and perhaps take a bit of load off the devs/QA/support team.

The developer in me really doesnt want to admit this out loud, but the main reason I dont want to upgrade to Ubuntu 16 is I am afraid SoTA might not work.

Regardless, very glad there is a wider variety of Linux users on here... its only in the video game world that I am reminded that people (that arent slogging behind spreadsheets all day) actually still use Microsoft products.

Leelu, Time Lord and eon like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

With earlier releases, you could run it 32 bit, but that is no longer the case. Are you using the 64 bit executable?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. eon

eon Avatar

Well... I knew some ubuntuer was gonna come here to say that, now stand on your guard and lets fight to death (joking, I started with debian then moved to ubuntu and now I'm on mint, I'm a fan of what works well, not a flavour fanboy tbh).

From my experience every game that works on Ubuntu, does work with Mint but maybe its a desktop thingy and Cinnamon is going wild. Well that gave me an idea... since its super easy to install and switch desktops I could try to install Unity desktop on Mint and see what happens.

Ps: I'm a dev as well and the only reason I have a dualboot with Windows is because... games... (sometimes wine doesn't work well) or just to test natively applications I make.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Amd64 just indicates processor type. It should have put both a 64 and a 32 bit executable in the directory.

I don't know if they have plans to restore 32 bit support after optimizations.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. eon

eon Avatar

i meant plain 64 , not amd, my bad, shouldn't type while watching a movie lol

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

Stop focusing on the amd thing, it has nothing to do with your processor brand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm using the latest Ubuntu and it works great. I even have to use primusrun to enable the Nvidia chipset.

10. eon

eon Avatar

OK... I found a fix for this and its really simple and its porbably the first thing that I should have tried, out of the obvious things I did... It is something that it has even gave me problems in the past with other games on Windows (yay!). Hopefully this is helpful for other Mint/Cinnamon users or even *coughs* Ubuntu users or any other distros.

Inside "/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/" there are 2 launchers and 2 game launchers, one of each for either x86 or x86_64. For some reason the games shortcut after installation refers to the x86 launcher which is the one that breaks the desktop big time, the other one (x86_64) works great.

What you could do is create a new shortcut for this one or... just go to the folder every time and launch it.

OH! and you might as well (and that is for every linux user) want to create one for the game itself so you don't need to go thru the launcher every time unless the game needs to be patched.

I really hope this helps someone and thanks for everyones feedback on this issue!

11. Alley Oop

...yes, that was the 32 bit executable that was crashing.

12. eon

eon Avatar

Indeed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.