Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Client optimisation and AMDs

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Aenra, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

(Have i ever mentioned we need a support forum? Or a temporary player-to-player support forum? I have. Ok :p)

Have had severe issues with overheating, as in to such an extent that a few minutes of playtime have been the highest i could thus far manage.
    There already was an R15 Archive thread in the game-stopper issues regarding this, so i went to post in it; And saw that everyone there had, just like me, AMDs.

Now i know optimisation is not something you do during pre-alpha. The reason i am making this thread now however is twofold:

1) I would like to be able to say i've done my part, in terms of this mater receiving the appropriate amount of attention, both from devs and players.

2) Enquire in terms of the future. I know that occasionally, because such is the nature of highly competitive "business" (AMD vs Intel), the odd title here and there (MMOs included by the way) does make it to launch without having undergone an AMD optimisation. I would really like to be assured that SotA will not fall within said category of titles.

I cannot stop people posting back stating "it's fine for me" and i cannot stop people stating "i see no reason why it won't be fixed, it's not released yet!". Let me at least help in terms of economy of space and ask that other AMD owners take a moment and come here to post their own experiences please?

Personally, i got an FX9370 running at its default 4,4.
    (no voltage or clock changes, sufficient cooling [i monitor both shell and core temps], overkill tower-case cooling and air-flow architecture)
    Thank you for reading :)

JohnL likes this.
  2. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

If it helps any I am using an AMD FX 8350 8 core, all settings stock. I haven't had any overheating issues in the many hours of game play that I've logged. I'm cooling with the Corsair h80i closed loop unit.

Aenra likes this.
  3. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

I have the same setup, AMD FX 8350 8 care with Corsair H80i liquid cooler. I've not had any issues with overheating or the like. I can hear the fan spin up from time to time but nothing unexpected and nothing sustained. I've played for several hours at a time and all is running smoothly.

EnigmaWinz and Aenra like this.
  4. Manerd

Manerd Avatar

I had a 7 month old 8350 that started to overheat after about 20-30 minutes of gameplay. I went to the AMD site and filled out the warranty page. They paid shipping both ways and I had a new CPU in about 4 days. New chip seems to be just fine now.

Aenra likes this.
  5. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Thank you for your input guys :)

I would not call me an expert (far from it in fact), but i dare say that your lack of problems appears to me more a result of having liquid cooling than the SotA client doing its things properly..
    Personally i went past the 70 Celsius threshold multiple times. It being a first for me. To give you a reference by which to judge this, i barely exceed 40 Celsius. In games far more demanding than SotA.

To Portalarium's defense, Unity-based/powered clients do often cause overheating issues, so it doesn't really surprise me. Should have perhaps put that up in the OP..
    It is an issue that has been overcome in many titles, so i find me reasonable in expecting its being taken care of here as well.

edit: also do mind, there is a huge difference between the 8 and the 9 series in terms of temps. Again not Portalarium's fault, but just to pinpoint the issue. Really curious to see any input from other FX9 users..

6. PeteWi The Disoriented

Ah yes, I see your point. I looked up a couple of things and your chip does have a tendency to run hotter. I knew the FX 8350 could get warm so that's why the liquid cooler went in. Plus, it's what all the cool kids are running :)

I've run racing games like Dirt 2/3 without issue so the Corsair has been a benefit. Hopefully when they get to the optimization process, things will level out and the machine will run cooler for you.

Aenra likes this.
  7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I also have an FX-9370 and running defaults. No over heating issues at all. I run a noctua cpu cooler. - which typically runs cooler than most water cooling solutions.

edit: wait, it's a phanteks cooler.. that looks exactly like the noctua. case is an antec 1200... so tons of air movement.

edit: #2, here is a pic:

[​IMG]

8. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

how the hell does that fit inside..what kind of a tower box do you have anyway..?

edit: I got the largest BeQuiet i could possibly get (don't ask me to crawl on the floor, see what model). Barely fit into mine. While i can see how something THAT big might be of extra help..i find it a touch..way too much? Does it run on nuclear power? :):)

9. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Aenra likes this.
  10. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Ok!

So we got liquid cooling, and nuclear post-fallout fans that are even -better- than liquid cooling.
    Anyone with anything a touch more mainstream that cares to share their own experience? ^^

Mishri likes this.
  11. PeteWi The Disoriented

DAMN Son!!! You steal that out of an old Chevy?
    I would say it's overkill, but I like it too damn much! (and saying you're running defaults yet sporting that rascal is a wee bit of a fib :) )

Mental note, when it comes to cooling, Mishri is not to be trifled with.

Mishri likes this.
  12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

well I heard the 9370's run hot.. wanted to be safe :)

Aenra likes this.
  13. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

14. smack

smack Avatar

Tsk, tsk. Everyone knows that Noctua only comes in brown :)

You need to get a better cooling system, be it liquid cooling if you're up to the task (start with a closed loop kit), or get a Noctua as they are by far the best air-cooled solutions, imho. But yes, they can be ginormous.

Review using FX9370 and Noctua NH-D15 overclocked to 4.8Ghz:
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/noctua-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review/5/

You don't have to get that specific giant one, but can go smaller if you're not overclocking. Check Noctua's site. Perhaps the NH-U14s.
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produkte&lng=en#cpu_retail

Aenra likes this.
  15. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

It's possible that there's a problem with the past that's between the cpu and heat sink. If not properly installed or defective it will not transfer heat.

Aenra likes this.
  16. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

Ps. Amd does run hotter the others. My Phenom 6x 4.2ghz overheated all the time until I got a bigger case and redirected the heat from the power box. Between the power box and video card it was sending hot air to my heat sink. That rendered cooling impossible

Aenra likes this.
  17. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

And a side note. This game only uses about 15% to 20% of my cpu. There's no way in hell I can over heat

Aenra likes this.
  18. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Thank you for the input guys, much appreciated. If i may re-quote my own posts, just for (that extra) future reference;

19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

well keep in mind, extreme cooling solutions are recommended for the 9370 they do run very hot, about twice as hot as their other processors. -liquid cooling is actually recommended by AMD. If you order one with a cooler, that's what it comes with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113352&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors - Desktops-_-N82E16819113352&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLlNRutkNM3aB_39sPNEESZnkry2bkbPq8qQ6GVOlptEaAmFx8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

What are you running for cooling?

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.