CoA Help

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Isaiah, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm not particularly gifted in editing images etc. I found the instructions a bit hard to understand. I have absolutely no clue about this stuff. Is there anybody that can help convert my image to an acceptable shield or whatever?

I have no idea how to do this right. I wouldn't mind if it was simple like having the whole shield background be a golden color with some kind of metal looking pattern, and having the exact circular trojan dude in the center of the shield. (Can I still have a smooth gold circle around the Trojan image like there is now though?) I want to kind of have the circle appear to popout a little bit from the metalic gold background. Thanks in advance (if anybody is up to the task).

[​IMG]

2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Isaiah, my first question: Is the image copyrighted?
    If you don't know, where did the image come from?

We cannot use an image that has a copyright unless the owner of the copyright releases it to the public domain. BUT...we can alter the image (at least 35%) to get away from that issue.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's actually two images that I made into one. I got it from here http://www.shutterstock.com/ and I purchased the right to use these images.
    ===========ORDER INFORMATION===========
    Date: 10/30/2013
    365-day Images On Demand, with 2 Standard License Downloads: $29.00

Total Price: $29.00

Here's the licensing info for the standard license to use two images (which I combined into one image).

http://www.shutterstock.com/license_comparison.mhtml?hsb=1

I am allowed to use it for unlimited online use. The images can be modified as well. So basically we can use images we buy from this site for an online presence or for images etc. So according to that I'm allowed to have unlimited webviewers of this image. I just can't sell that image.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Just a question......What happens if you use a licensed image as a charge in the generator? After the 365 day licencing expires, your charge would still exist in game correct? I do not think there is a system in place for the generator to keep track of licensed art. You would probably have to go with an image or charge that is public domain or owned outright for all of eternity. I'am just taking a guess here so please anyone with legalese please chime in.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The duration is unlimited.

License duration Unlimited

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Gotcha, seems the 365-day Images on Demand is what confused me.

Isaiah likes this.
  7. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Ty Isaiah. With the modifications that will need to be made to work within the generator, I think we should be fine.
    Please realize a lot of the detail will be gone, but we will give it our best shot to create a charge that you like. As for the colors, the golden color disc is very do-able, the but the problem we run into is creating enough of a distinction between it and the "background" color of the arms. Give us a bit of time to work the central charge, then we can play with the colors under and around it.

Isaiah likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

thanks. fingers crossed. :)

9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Having dealt with these royalty free image companies alot in the business world, I have concerns. I have made a post about it for the CoA Soverigns to discuss with Portalarium. Even though Isaiah owns the rights and would be using it for his personal non-commercial use in the game, Portalarium has no rights, and since they are running the server(s) and the game, it puts them in legal situation that I do not believe they would want to be in. We need to make something that meets this look as it is a gorgeous art style for an illustration of a trojan warrior logo, but we need it to be different enough to keep Portalarium protected from legal issues while giving Isaiah a sweet coat of arms.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I doubt there's going to be some legal issue over this. It's logical to assume that every website that I ever go to and use this image on is managed by somebody else. I'm allowed to use it myself for my own personal online presence. What is the problem using that symbol on my shield? It's really no different than having it as a web-forum avatar. Instead it's on my in game avatar. It's an Internet presence.

If the company has a fit over it Portalarium can always remove the image. There's no way anybody is getting sued over this. I have the right to use it in a non-commercial way. It seems logical and reasonable that nobody is using the image in game other than me personally. It's not portalarium using it for their own purposes, and I didn't sell it to them.

11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

You would be surprised how many letters are sent out on a daily basis from companies like Shutterstock and iStock and Getty Images, even to companies who didn't even put the image on their site or software. I have alot of personal experience with this. I am just voicing my concern because these companies try to squeeze money out of anyone and everyone they can at every chance they can. It is not my decision to make, I just wanted to put out there what possible issues could come up because I have the experience and have dealt with it on a regular basis for 8 years. As an artist myself, I hedge on the side of caution because I have seen the whole spectrum of how easy it can be to resolve to the worst case scenario. I would say it would be up to Portalarium to set the standard as to where the line is to be drawn based on their comfort.

The Standard License you referenced limits number of apps/software to 250k of them installed too... I know we don't have that many ppl now as backers, but what happens when/if the game gets to that point of more then a quarter of a million ppl playing?

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well let me know. I can purchase the enhanced license if I have to. I like the image.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  13. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

:) Just being honest with ya man... I love the image myself, is why i am being so hesitant cause I would love to see you use it, but at the same time I want to protect the dev team... I would have to have you spend more money too... I leave this decision in the capable hands of Portalarium as hopefully our CoA Sovereigns bring it up with them... I prefer to sit back and just do fun art and writing stuff for the SotA and Ultima communities.

I leave you with this thought... you have good taste in illustrative art being used for a charge...

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

you think I should get the enhanced license? Let me know if they will use these in game first, and if I need the enhanced license I'll get it for the Trojan guy.

15. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Like I said, I will leave the final word up to Portalarium. I posted for the College of Arms sovereigns so they can give a more definitive answer as I would prefer to let them discuss it with the devs and have Portalarium decide as they are the ones setting the limitations for things like file size, file type, number of files, etc, as well as they have the legal team who can give the best feedback... even better then me.... :)

High Baron O`Sullivan and Isaiah like this.
  16. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Don't go the expensive route yet!
    Let the Heraldic artists have a go at the design. We have some very talented folks and they could very well create something just as awesome!

17. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

mhm, hate to have anyone spend money they dont need to... most of us are on tight budgets so any savings in $ is a great thing. :)

Isaiah likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Wow you mean you guys would take the time to design it yourselves? That's really cool. I feel humbled.

If you guys do make something similar can I keep the color scheme? Cardinal and Gold would be awesome, and I like the circular symbol like that at the center of my shield. I like the circle because I think it would look good hanging outside my house too. Feel free to take creative license with the helmet. I'm not married to the idea of having a brush on my head, but it does seem to go with the circular image, but maybe you have a creative way to keep that type of flow. Thanks for the consideration.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Hehe Isaiah that's what we; or at least the arts folks, are here for!
    The brush on the top of the helm is typical for a Trojan foot soldier and yes it works great with the circle imagery.

As for colors there is a color chart referenced in one of the sticky posts, I think your cardinal color would equate to Sanguine, and the gold is of course gold :)
    Give us a few days and we will have something for you to look at, then we can continue to tweak that new design until its perfect for you.

Isaiah and Golem Dragon like this.
  20. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

:D Yes, that's exactly one of the things we do, Isaiah... we have artists that will take a concept you like, and do our best to create-from-scratch a design you like. That's what we keep talking about with "we will create custom charges for Founders".

The one consideration to think about, is that as things sit right now, we are restricted to one or two colors per charge... as it is right now, your existing charge has at least five that I count. However, Ronan and Golem are both awesome at this, and I have no doubt between them they will come up with something you love that works within our technical limitations.

Isaiah and Golem Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.