CoA Help

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Isaiah, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Actually, helping design full images is what we really enjoy doing, and by working with Ronan and NirAntae, you've got two of the best in the business on your piece. I have no doubt that they can come up with something that is truly beautiful, that you love, that fits the art style of heraldry that we're going for, and which will be truly /yours/.

Isaiah likes this.
  2. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

(And in the public domain, so you would be truly free to use it elsewhere without limitation. ;) )

Isaiah likes this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If the Gold and the Sanguine color are my two colors can you still use black, white and grey in the image if need be to give it texture without counting against my color total?

4. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Two colors, period. Black and white, or black and red, or gold and red, etc. Not for the whole device, mind, just the specific charge (in this case, the Trojan head).

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Really, it's best to just forget anything anybody says about the number of colors.
    The artists know what to do, and the player won't notice anything about the limits.

When they're using the final builder, the charges will all be acceptable.

6. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

The charges included in the final builder will all be acceptable, he means. But that should include the one designed for you here, or at least one as visually similiar as possible given the programming restraints.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If everybody has the same rules that's fine, but if other people can submit their own art that uses any color they want I would have to wonder why we had rules to follow and the other guy didn't.

EDIT: What I mean is I hope Lord British decrees that it must follow this rule set otherwise it cannot be uploaded.

Because if somebody uploads a shield with vibrant colors and really stands out it would not seem to fit in with all the shields the rest of us have. So if we have a rule set I hope it is for everybody.

8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

This weeks meeting should clear up the confusion, they are going to hide the invalid place holders.

Isaiah likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I heard something about a possibility that one day they might create a quest in order to earn the ability to upload an image to your shield. When that comes about maybe along the questline it can show the rules of the CoA for what can be in the image?

Can any of you with the royal warrent ask @RichardGarriott if he would be willing to work the CoA rules in to the formal system when they ever get around to adding a CoA quest for the sake of roleplay. Then people can roleplay the CoA and use the same style of arms as us founders.

It would also protect us founders who followed these rules. We wouldn't want somebody to come in with some crazy colors or random stuff that looks more showy that the founder's sheilds. I think we also earned this security because we helped found this game financially, and spent all this time before the game was even released. It also gives validity to the CoA who received a royal warrent already. If anybody can upload any 'ol image they want it devalues the CoA as a community within SotA.

10. Sir Frank

Already in the works. Will probably come from Starr.
    Richard has already charged us with maintaining style, and we have a color pallet that everybody will use.
    The ability for players to upload any ol' image they want will likely never happen, which has been explained a few times in videos.
    We've asked for them to put the reasoning in writing and post it, so we can point to that rather than continually answer the same question over and over again.

It has been a constant irritation that people want to submit content, but cannot easily determine what the limits are.

We point to videos that people don't watch, and to threads that people don't read, and to the College website that people don't visit.
    I'm not sure what else we can do. We'd be happy to entertain suggestions.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If you have time to read the story, there is a helm with red plume like yours around page 96-98 (can't remember).

A funny joke during the kickstarter that I can't remember exactly was something like, TFP date. Time till First Penis :) Players will never be allowed to enter any picture they want.

I'm with you on wanting to make sure the initial customers continue being the most valued customers.

Too many companies do the opposite.

12. Sir Frank

Well, at least somebody watches! Thanks!.

True. People don't ever click on the bad images and see the big red box saying this picture isn't valid.
    So, we're going to hide them from you.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I found the description out of Blade of the Avatar page 96. "red plume on the top of a morion helmet" I'm not sure if that describes what you have though.

14. Sir Frank

Not.

[​IMG]

acrylic_300 likes this.
  15. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Thanks, that really helps me understand why Aren was giving Syenna hell about how fugley her uniform was. lol

Guess I should have googled it.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's great! I hope they put NPC versions of you guys into the questline if they ever do such a quest to get your own charge in the game. Hopefully there is a building that you guys have access to in the game that is dedicated to CoA that would facilitate such a quest and also maybe be a place that people can look up people's arms like a Royal Library of Arms.

NirAntae and acrylic_300 like this.
  17. Sir Frank

I'm very pleased to say that all of this will happen.
    The College is the first large building you see when you enter Owl's Head, with the banners on it.
    It currently looks like a tavern, with shields all over the walls, and Merchant William behind the counter.

Eventually, the decorators will go in and put in some scribe benches and make it look more scholarly.
    And, Richard said there would be NPC's of us inside. We've submitted things we'd like our NPC's to say.
    We have not yet written a quest, because we don't know enough about the world, but that will happen.

18. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Not much for me to add, except that 'making sure everyone follows the style rules' is, in point of fact, the biggest reason this College of Arms exists. If there is such a quest, it will give the person the right to come to the College of Arms and create a device through the College, not just 'upload some pic they like'. >^.^< So no worries there.

Isaiah likes this.
  19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

http://avatararms.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/2/4/12249939/3989189_orig.png
    Making progress! Helmet is now a Roman Helmet (galea) instead of the Greek one. You can see how the detail begins to go away, but we still are able to keep definition. When this is shrunk down to 128x128 though, the thin white areas will sort of melt together.

Will keep you posted as each step gets done so you won't think we forgot about you ;)

20. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Isaiah! I have not forgotten you!
    I just hit a mental block for your arms. I have 6 or 7 versions floating around. Have no fear, I will get you a good one!

Isaiah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.