CoA Request

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Sargon, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

The maunch was interesting until I read the part about it representing a woman's sleeve. I do like the design, but it just isn't very warrior-like.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  2. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Sargon and Ronan like this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Definitely heading in the right direction. Now that we are getting close, here are my more nit-picky thoughts:

1) Can the "mask" charge be made symmetric? Maybe cut it in half and mirror once we get to a final design?
    2) The point at the bottom of the charge doesn't quite line up with the middle of the chevron below it. I would like those to be in line and I would also like to see a tiny bit more black space between them.
    3) I would ultimately (no pun intended) like to see the "mask" charge be black with a white outline, similar to the bat image that Sir Frank posted, but it probably isn't very productive to spend time creating that before we have the full image outline nailed down.
    4) I think I would prefer the crossed swords to be fully-contained within the bottom chevron and not overlap into the black area. Can they be shrunk down a little to stay clear of the black?

Thank you very much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

4. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

The swords I can resize for a preview, but I am not sure how the builder will display them in the final version. As for the artwork, I can only work with (semi) approved charges...if Ronan wants to rebuild it, that's fine with me, I will redo the preview. As for it not being lined up, I realized that when I built the preview, but it is centered (like the builder will do).

5. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

The swords will be sized to fit inside the base charge no worries there. I can rebuild the charge and make it a mirror image of itself so it is balanced, but not tonight, I is a bit tired. I will ensure the lower point is the exact center.
    Sargon, thanks for being patient with us. We are all learning new skills as we do this. We are truly nerds when it comes to images. :)

Sargon likes this.
  6. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Thank you for being patient with me!

7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Okay, there is a misunderstanding here.

We are NOT creating a finalized image. We are making a mockup to reserve a layout.

We can't minutely tweak size and position in the generator, such as the swords. Charges will be clean an symmetrical (where appropriate) before being included.

And charges are not outlines. You can fimbriate (outline) a charge, but there is still an interior.
    Furthermore, I personally feel like this has pushed far too close to the trademarked symbol we told you was not usable already. That symbol MEANS a real person, who is not you. The point of creating arms is to make a symbol that means YOU. You can't accomplish that by copying someone else.

8. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I fail to see how a generic symbol like a tree or an owl can represent me any more than a design that was "inspired by" a symbol that brings back childhood memories, but it is not that big of a deal. I thought I would be ok as long as I didn't use an exact copy of the trademarked image, but apparently not. Thank you to those of you who tried to help and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

"Inspired by" is one thing. "Copying" is another. Using a bat as your device to 'remind' you of that would have been perfectly fine. But little by little, with incremental changes you have steered it to where now the main difference between the charge and the Ultimate Warrior symbol, is that it is solid whereas his symbol is an outline. The angle at the top of the 'wings' is a little different, and the bottom points are a little different, but not sufficiently that, were it an outline, would I be confident that it was "at least 30% different" which is what is required under copyright laws.

10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It represents the sleeve that some fair lady gave her warrior to inspire him as he rode off to battle.

Seems very warrior-like to me.

11. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Ok, let me step back from the Ultimate Warrior designs and take another stab at this.

I do like the bat image, but the crossed swords by themselves aren't really doing it for me. Would it be acceptable to put a LotM crown (or a crown image based on the LotM crown design) on the bottom? A small crown with swords crossed behind it would really be great. Is that do-able?

[​IMG]

NirAntae likes this.
  12. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

No crowns.
    How about a castle instead?

NirAntae likes this.
  13. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

That could possibly work. A bat on top over a small castle on the bottom could be kind of cool.

NirAntae likes this.
  14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

When thunderbird gets online I'll direct him here. I think the bat and castle would look good also.

15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Crowns & chains & alike were decided to be reserved for ingame use like knightly orders (to be added to your arms), it is yet undefined how it will work or will they be implemented in first place and if what EP (as quest / achievement / given to individual by Lord British etc.)

16. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

17. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

OK, sorry for my absence, got a lot on my plate, but here are some variations of Ronan's ideas. Let me know if you like or hate any of them, think that any may be worth trying to improve, or we should just start over...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The castle has to be within the bottom chevron.

19. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Copy that...reworking...

20. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Like this?

[​IMG]

Sargon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.