Coat of arms registering...

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Segallion, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

I registered over at sotacoa (with same email address) and here is my coat of arms proposal. Please let me know if any issues. BTW, anyway you will be maybe later adding the serpent charger for us to use?:) (it is on the websites coat of arms).

[​IMG]

Tahru likes this.
  2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

The serpent is one of the charges that is reserved for usage by Lord British.

There are issues with your chosen design.
    The tree and flaming sword are too small for their position. Yes there are actually size limits. Also the flame on the sword would have to be the brighter red...contrast issue.
    I am unsure about the ankh, although it looks nice...I think it falls into the fimbriation to work around the color on color rule which is not permitted.

Of all the symbols you have used, what are your top three favorites? Is there a story you are trying to tell with the arms, or are you just looking for something cool and unique?

Tahru likes this.
  3. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Hey Ronan, thank you for reviewing :)

Basically a "bringing light into the darkness" theme. The Tree was to represent knowledge/wisdom to use strength to bring "light to the darkness" (hence gold shining down below from a night sky). The Ankh was just to represent spirituality encompassing both, and basically being the primary theme of the shield.

Any tips/suggestions?

EDIT: Re your question re top 3 symbols, Ankh is number one, tree two, sword is three (but would be fine swapping to the cross-polearms instead of the sword).

Tahru likes this.
  4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Let me think on this for a day or two...I know I can come up with something that will fit nicely.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Thank you!

Tahru likes this.
  6. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Hey Ronan,

Just wanted to give you a heads up since others might have the same issue: I was fiddling around in the generator and came up with a more simple design I like. Problem: Ever since last night, whenever I try to save the design it fails to do so (multiple attempts at different times). Everytime I try to open the image to look at it after it is saved I get the error message of:

"The requested content cannot be loaded.
    Please try again later."

Tahru likes this.
  7. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

AhHA! Grant was fixing something last night! He may have inadvertently broke something else. Will check it out today.

Tahru and Segallion like this.
  8. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Yes, a fix for that is imminent - next 15 to 20 minutes.

9. Knight Grant MacGregor

Hey Segallion, go ahead and try the site again, we should be back up. We are working on it for the rest of the day, so you might see some up and down, but overall things should be working again. Please let us know if you run into any trouble.

Tahru likes this.
  10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Could you explain a bit more about this site. Is this an official site, SoTA plans to use for our Custom in game crest? Or is it just something to play around with at the moment until they do? What happens when you submit a crest?

Tahru likes this.
  11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Ice Queen,
    The post at the top of this forum "About the College of Arms" gives a bit of explanation.
    The generator at the www.sotacoa.com site is a work in progress that we hope will be the avenue for a custom in game arms design. It has been blessed by Portalarium. It is by no means finished. Those of us working on it want to give the players the world, but sadly there are so many limitations...which lead into rules.
    So at the moment it is something to play around with. When an arms is submitted, it is checked for rule format and to see if there is another similar design already in existence. Should the arms design fit the rules and there is not another that is similar, the arms are recorded as approved and held in the registrants account. If the design does not fit the rules or there is another similar design in existence, an email will be sent to the registrant advising them of the situation.

12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Thank you

Tahru likes this.
  13. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Hey Ronan, Grant. Ok, here it is, my simplified version. Hopefully this one passes muster. As a heads up, I actually could not make anything in the generator using firefox or IE 11 (basically using my PC)...I did this using my IPAD :)

In any event, only future change I see is maybe fiddling with minor size modifications of the ankh:

[​IMG]

Tahru likes this.
  14. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Yeah IE 11 is causing Grant all kinds of fits of madness in his code! I stumble on things all the time. I will check out the design more fully after I have had some sleep :)
    The blue and black background, how did you get that?

Tahru likes this.
  15. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

The blue is a star charge (enlargened star)

Did I break a rule? ;)

Edit: black is just a black color for the escutcheon with no divisions.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

[​IMG]
    This design is almost the same.
    The one you designed placed a charge (the star) of blue on top of the field of black. These two are both "Base" colors and cannot be placed on top of each other.
    The above design the field is divided into sections and the blue and black colors are placed next to each other which, for field divisions is ok.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Knight Grant MacGregor

I like the blue star charge... but would have to check the rules ... also, it would end up appearing with white contour lines (all charges will have contour lines down the road) so the effect would be different. Additionally you would have to have the Ankh completely inside the Star's boundaries.

The last one you made is good to go as is and looks great! :)

Tahru likes this.
  18. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

Ok, here is my last attempt (I keep breaking rules! :( )...good news is if this doesnt work then I will go with Ronan's suggestion above. The potential rulebreaker here could be what I did with the sun charges on the side (as I was trying to create a flame effect from there):

[​IMG]

Tahru likes this.
  19. Knight Grant MacGregor

Oh I like this one:

Per Saltir Azure and Sable, SotA Suns Or Issuant from Dexter and Sinister, overall an Ankh Or.

(Ronan, correct me there if I made a mistake)

Tahru and Ronan like this.
  20. Segallion

Segallion Avatar

My last one ok?:)

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.