Collection of Books

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Cordelayne, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It's finally happened...I knew this day would eventually come, but I waited and hoped against hopes that it wouldn't. What happened you ask? Well sadly I have reached my deco limit due to the wonderful library I am trying to create in my humble little abode.

I am not asking for an increase in deco limits (although that would be nice), I am simply requesting that the "Collection of Books" found throughout the game, be opened up to players. I know, I know, I have harped on this time and time again, but it finally matters now! My empty bookshelves are lonely and need to be filled! :D

These "collections" could act as containers for us erudite types to place more books in our libraries. Moreover, it would be an added bonus for performance as it would cut down the number of items needing to be loaded! @DarkStarr did address this during a telethon and mentioned @Lord British was against the idea since it wasn't very immersive. Pish posh! If they are already in the game, and are even "clickable" why oh why can we players not get access to this wonderful set of assets that could make all our library dreams come true? :)

I mean, lets get real here, if you can offer dinnerware that acts as one piece, please offer collections of books to at least act as filler for our bookshelves! I am not alone in my request, I know @Spoon, @Vyrin and others would appreciate such a feature being added. I thank you again for your time and consideration of my request and look forward to hearing about your agreement shortly! ;)

Warmest Regards,

Cordelayne Valkaris

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, we have had this discussion with @Scottie a couple of times.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...s/libraries-and-item-limit.66742/#post-676973

Please note:
    [​IMG]
    This one is from my visit in Yew in 51 QA.

So the asset is there but it is not built as a functional container.

- - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- --
    Here is my old suggestion in those discussions:

- - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - - -- - - -- - - -- --

However do please note that there is another workaround for us.

When I place a container, like a Trunk, and I set the permission to Public Deposit. Then anyone can open that container and look at the contents.
    However right now if that content is books/paper then they can't open to read them which prevents that to be our solution.

In opposition to this, if I place a book in the scene, then regardless of the permission on it, anyone can interact with it by doubleclicking and thus be able to read it. And if they don't have permission to the book they still can't take it even though they could read it.

So, without even having that bookshelf container thingie we discussed with Scottie, they could still solve our main issue with the item count and our dear dear libraries.
    In that if they set the same interaction rule to the books in the container as the books in the scene - then we have our sandbox solution anyway.

This would also make much more sense for the User Experience since the behavior of the object would be predictable in that it would behave the same way and I could interact with it in the same manner regardless if where I find that object.

Then I could place a container in my bookshelf, set the container to Public Deposit, and then anyone can open the container and read the books in it but only those with permission to remove would be able to take the books/papers.

Which would solve our problem with less effort and without having to create new assets.

Then after that we could nag them about putting that asset in the pic into the addon store as a container...

Happy hunting

Spoon

3. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

I'll talk with Richard and see if we can find some way to get past his concern about it not being "immersive" enough, so that some form of any of these excellent solution suggestions can finally see the light of day! You see, this isn't merely for the wonderful libraries players such as yourselves want to build, it's also for the sake of my beloved Lycaeum in Artifice that currently sits empty and wasted,...an enormously near-endless library of nothing but empty bookshelves...which makes me weep even now...

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

THANK YOU Scottie!! :D

6. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

So I've talked with Richard, and he's now content to let me work with Chris after Launch to create a workable solution to all of this based not only on some of the ways I've discussed previously, but also taking into account some of the more recent discussions like this one... So just know,...though we can't really focus on it before Launch Release, it's no longer going to be a concern for Richard, and he's OK with us coming up with a solution that will most likely include "Bookshelf Containers" and possibly "Collection of Books" container items in some form or another... It's now officially "on our radar" as an upcoming, post-Launch task! ^_^

7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

This might make a good re-use of Bag Mode code as a Bookshelf container.

Scottie and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is wonderful news! Thanks Scottie, good things come to those who wait, truly appreciate everything you do. :D

Witcheypoo and Scottie like this.
  9. Rhunen

Rhunen Avatar

A version of the bookshelf container where the look updates depending on the contents would be neat. Not for each book, but maybe have three or so states: Totally or near empty, half full (Similar to the one above) , and totally full / wall to wall books.

Witcheypoo, Elwyn, Scottie and 3 others like this.
  10. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I remember a mod with Oblivion, where you had many versions of book piles. As soon as you added some books, one book pile asset was replaced with another one or added automaticaly to the shelves/bookshelves, for them to look more populated.

OR you could make an exception for books in the deco limit count ? Maybe count each book for 1/10th ? I'm not sure that books are THAT heavy. I have tens of those placed in my home and I would say that they are not what makes my fps drop. Because... let's be honest, there is nothing like the feel of being able to arrange the books exactly like you want, and see their title simply with pointing at them.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, what about increasing the deco limits -- either overall or special case for books? Then again, I'm sure someone out there will attempt to create the Library of Alexandria and keep hitting that limit.

12. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Good plan !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We need MOAR bookshelves.

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol hilarious smack, but true! I definitely scaled back my efforts due to deco limits! Library of Alexandria...lol

Scottie, Sean Silverfoot and Spoon like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

To quote Starr
    "thank you thank you thank you"

Scottie and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes! I have a keep stone arena basement that I need to turn into a library. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.