Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Colored Light Fixtures Liable to Introduce More Problems

Discussion in 'Release 70 Feedback' started by Bedawyn, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

From the R70 instructions:
    Colored Light Fixtures: We have added a huge variety of light fixtures that cast colored light to the Crown Shop! They come in three colors (Blue, Yellow, and Red) and five types (Wall, Ceiling, Floor, Street, and Table). We plan to create more light colors in the future.

I sincerely hope this is one of the features that DOESN'T make it into the actual release. As was mentioned in one of Chris's streams a while back, we already have a problem with colored light from one person's lot bleeding through walls into their neighbor's lot, creating unintentional "environmental griefing." I'll welcome more colored lights when the bleed-through-walls problem is fixed, but until then, this is no enhancement.

No, the bleed-through problem is annoying but not critical in the big picture, so I don't expect it to be fixed any time soon. But hearing that the devs are about to exacerbate it by introducing new objects with the same problem lends itself to the assumption that they aren't paying attention to the problems that already exist.

(One temporary fix would be simply declare that colored lights can only be used in basements or POT common areas; not a great solution and would probably annoy many people using the lights, but it would solve it immediately. Another option would be to declare they can be used anywhere EXCEPT row lots, since on bigger lots the light is less likely to extend beyond the lot borders. Again, not ideal, but quicker than working out whatever the actual problem is causing the wall bleed-through across lots without losing the places within-lots where we need the wall bleed-through to get enough ambient light.)

2. enalNomad

enalNomad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have made all the new colored lights shadow-casting so that their light doesn't go through walls.
    This does come at some performance expense.

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.