Combat "balance pass"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks Arkah, would be very curious to know what the critical factor is for either ranged or polearms. I'm using both but it's beginning to sound that only one tree at a time can be buffed to the point of being able to disable bosses

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I should be able to actually try both but I have to on learn and train up another one each time which generally takes about an hour to get it to 80 but I can just get it up to like 60 or something in a few minutes and test it and see if that’s noticeably affecting anything

Numa likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Arkah EMPstrike @Sean Silverfoot Which boss? I know trolls can be disabled, but not Torc. Daemons can be, but it feels like it doesn't last as long on them. I think you can disable unicorns, but they use Dash, so it's pointless. Dragons can be, but they're fast enough naturally that it doesn't make that much of a difference. I don't recall any others that were susceptible. Cabalists were immune to it. Most other bosses would kill me too quickly, so I don't have much experience with any others.

Chatele likes this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Interesting, i dont think my disable worked on dragons. Ill test on qa later if its up and bard skills arent in

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They shrug it off pretty quickly. Plus, they're fast enough that they still keep up with you even using Dash. Though, maybe with a really high Dash you could still outrun them.

And, as always, the main caveat is that I haven't played in a few months; things may have changed since then.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I i first noticed this stuff last year with skewer, i noticed with disable shot in december i think just never thought about using QA to test it

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Bard skills?? This early???

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yea he said the first few bard skills will be in this next release i think

Numa and Sentinel2 like this.
  9. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

You are the exact example of the point here, You are complaining about PVP and the effect is going to be felt by the PVE players when a nerf comes down. PVP is a totally different beast. We have no idea who killed you or any of the circumstances involved, just that you are posting "I got two shot by an archer" . They cant ever reconcile PVP and PVE. Games just not built that way.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

Im not this kind of guy who complain because he lost, got nerfed, or something like that..

If you read between the lines, I meant that PVP fight happened too fast to really enjoying it, the fight result dont really matter.

If you want context, I have no idea as I got killed in 2 shots but I suspect someone much higher adv. level than me (120 vs 96) and probably flawlessly prepared (buff + critic + Arty +16) but that not matter.

I dont even mentioned PVE in my 2 sentences.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I always wondered about that. It seems as though most PvP fights (ones I've heard about, and the handful I've witnessed) are over really quickly. I'm sure there are some between lower level inexperienced players that go on a bit, but I get the sense that most are over in seconds. That doesn't really sound that fun, even if I were inclined to PvP.

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Just think. All the drinking games we can play in SOTA soon ;-)

Anpu likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich So the dragon i can disable it withotu specialization on QA. AFAIK for sure only Kkong was the one it made a difference on. BUT i was able to kite the dragon using disable shot. Its bites were not hitting me from 20 yards like they used to. Couldnt kite the wind attack tho, still had to jsut strafe up clsoe to avoid that

Numa likes this.
  14. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I know what you are trying to say. I wasn't so much talking about your content as I was using you as an example of what has been happening here since day one. A PVP player will complain about something that relates to PVP, IE, I got killed too fast by an ARCHER. So the word archer resonates with Chris, who by all my experience HATES the archer class. He will then decide in whatever way he does, that Archer hasn't been punished enough lately, so he will devise an excuse that a decimal point was improperly placed during coding 7 years ago and he is just now realizing that he never intended archers to shoot arrows. The original intent was always for archer to stand in the back and fiddle with their quiver straps until the heavy armor fire mage kills the mobs. SO to make sure balance reigns he "Fixes the glitch" and takes away the archers ability to use arrows. Now the PVP archers all morph into Ice mages and the PVE community takes the brunt of the new "Fix"

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't know. I'm not a fan of @Chris's nerfs, but I don't think accusing him of actual malice is realistic or helpful.

16. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Actions speak my friend. Helpful is subjective. I truly believe he has on several occasions told us that there was a coding error when in fact there was no coding error. He wanted to reduce efficacy of a weapon or spell that was actually acting as designed, but wanted to avoid responsibility for nerfing something that had been live for years. I submit to you the Meteor storm spell, the rend and everything archery. I also submit the mobs boosted damage reduction. Off the top of my head, those are ones I can remember. I am sure there are more.
    Furthermore, Malice might be strong, but he definitely has trees he favors and trees he dislikes. I would say that he likes Fire tree and dislikes Chaos and Archery.

17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yup, malice is a bit strong :) Tone it down please @Gageman

Anpu likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.