Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat changes affects on Miners?

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Bowen Bloodgood, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm really having mixed feelings here.

On the one hand, changes to AI and the heat system seem cool but..

My miner is a level 65 pole arm user who recently did very well in Spectral Mines.. Getting in there and past the first fight was sometimes a challenge but afterwards I could get some decent mining in so long as I wasn't reckless.

Now? I just got chased out of Spectral more than half dozen times in an hour. Pole arms aren't the only thing that's improved damage. Mages are much harder to deal with doing much more damage. Just a few seconds into a fight with 1 and I find my health down to half. They heal themselves now and they blink about.. sometimes to places unknown.. and sometimes right before you kill them.

Now, I could deal with this but AI that brings more mobs a running 'round many corners compounds the problem as I found I was often fighting the entire section of the mine at once instead of just 1-3 in the immediate area..

This is at level 65 mind you.. where I was able to mine reasonably 10 levels ago. I can only imagine what the other mines must be like now. Finally I gave up. It's no fun being constantly swarmed and forced out when all you want to go is get a little bit of ore.

What level am I going to have to be now to get by in a 5 skull mine? How badly am I going to be swarmed elsewhere? Is mining going to become a group activity only for anyone under level 80? It was bad enough when you had to be at least 40 to mine somewhere outside of Owl's Nest.

2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

with the new changes to mages its going to be hard anywhere there are mages. it just means we will have to adjust our tactics and how we deal with things or beef up more so we can keep doing what we do :)

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Mages are not the sole focus of my feedback. If that was all it was I'd have gotten an hour's worth of decent mining in.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Chatele like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I saw that. That is what I mean we will have to adjust Tactics or beef up to handle the changes of the mobs running for more help. I recommend to start bring pots with you to help. If you already have then not sure what else one could do short of leveling up more to compensate. They did say that the mobs would be getting a lot smarter each patch. they will probably be as hard as fighting players at some point Id imagine.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The real issue I'm bringing up here is the affect the changes have in mining specifically. If it's that much harder to get ore, that effects everyone. Which isn't necessarily an intended side effect of the changes. One of the reasons I said I have mixed feelings. I have no complaints so far on the changes in general. The dynamics of a fight are different is open spaces and when the goal is different.

uhop, FrostII and Chatele like this.
  6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I hear ya, I agree as a miner myself gone are the days of old where we mass mined :)

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

as a miner... been mining in Elysium Mines... besides the few skills added to the mages... they still die pretty fast for me... I'm going to try Spectral Mines...

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Individual mages aren't really an issue. Their new level of obnoxiousness only compounds the issue of being swarmed by 2 mages, 3 archers and a couple footmen. :)

Tiina Onir, Black Tortoise and uhop like this.
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

getting mobbed by 4 to 6 Kobold Mages in Elysium, not that hard... just keep calm... LOL... haven't tried getting mobbed in spectral mines in R42... on my way there currently...

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Really I think it's the archers dealing the damage.. though 1 mage getting me to half health in the first 10 seconds is disturbing.. after that point though I've never been able to not handle them so long as their buddies aren't around. To be fair I only died once but that's because I know when it's time to leave. :) But before 42 on a bad day I might get chased out twice.. but this was more like a dozen times (I didn't actually count but it was a lot) in an hour.

Of course, to put it in context my miner uses little or no magic apart from light.. and uses no potions either. Just heavy armor and a polearm. I'm sure more versatile and high DPS builds would fair much better.

11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just got mobbed by seven skeletons... archers and mages... died twice clearing them.... I think what they did is they increased the detection range of the mobs... felt like all the skeletons in the area went running towards me... LOL :D

Tiina Onir and uhop like this.
  12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I just found this thread after creating one about pretty much the same thing. This is NOT a good change. WAAAAY too drastic, if you ask me. I used to (2 days ago) be able to solo Deep Ravenswood undead with almost no problem at all if I were somewhat careful (using ranged), now I am chased out of there constantly, and almost died 3 times. I understand making a tweak here and there, but I feel like I have been set back months. I really think they took this WAY too far. Mages absolutely destroy me now. I could handle them pretty well before. Do I really have to have 100 fire attunement and 100 "Fire Proof" skill to get back to where I was? That will take me weeks to accomplish, and then drive my decay up to unreasonable levels. Come on now...

Gamician, zyxe, Snikorts and 3 others like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It really varies a lot with level. If the content of a mine is trivial for the player mining it, increased burst damage and lower hit points just equals less time spent killing mobs vs. mining, so these changes definitely aren't bad across the board for miners.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Less the detection range and more the AI that brings nearby mobs to the one being attacked/killed.. but in many ways effectively the same thing.

Potentially bad across the board for most players. The end result being a drastic reduction in ore availability and that hurts everyone.

Rennik, zyxe, Tiina Onir and 2 others like this.
  15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

after the initial mobbing... spent the rest of the time mining... three to four is manageable... I'll continue later... time to sleep... LOL

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can usually handle 3 but 4+ starts getting risky. I actually did get some mining done but much, much less than before. Too much time trying not to die.

17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Spot on, my feelings exactly, I find myself logging on less, and less. And when I do, I am not on as long as I used to be... Not fun ...

Tiina Onir likes this.
  18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

i think there are 2 things to keep in mind

1) since were all playing early access, we should expect difficulty levels to fluctuate as the underlying game mechanics are developed. we are likely to get accustomed to certain styles of gameplay or locations, where the devs might have intended a far greater challenge, which they adjust accordingly. it doesnt mean we are being "set back" but rather that we were actually overpowered and too far ahead.

2) they often find the sweet spot with changes by ping-ponging between poles until the right midpoint is reached. that is to say, it will feel way too easy, then way too hard, then too easy, then too hard, then easy, then hard, then just right.

that being said, yea, mages are way too hard right now ;). i cant fight multiple mages my level. multiple green mages are difficult. i can take 2 archers and several melee at once, but mages hit me with lightning bolts that do half my health bar in damage (and I have level 40 Well Grounded). they need a bit of tweaking in the less-hard direction.

also what people are experiencing is the new BAF AI. While it does make more sense that mobs would alert each other and gang up on you, maybe the solution is fewer mobs so we dont have to fight 12 at once?

Nikko likes this.
  19. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I agree it needs adjusted. Players need to be able have reasonable fights in areas that are meaningful for them at their current level.
    I do like the new variety of spells mages have, and the new AI - but I don't want to have to fight everything in the area just to fight one, I like to be able to progress through the map slowly if I am still leveling up. And mages out-healing reasonable level appropriate damage output needs looked at. Blinking to an unknown location and dropping aggro is also not good, as is blinking and aggroing everything in the area where they just blinked to.
    I think the changes are good, definitely like the direction, just hope they get it tuned down for us soon though.

zyxe, Nikko and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

**This guy gets it!** I think your points number 1 & 2 are very wise, and I must say I agree. Perhaps we're just in that area where it has ping ponged over to "a bit too hard," and an adjustment might happen. We'll see. Mages need adjustments. That much is fairly obvious. In the mean time, I am doing what I really didn't want to, and I am trying to raise every stinking thing in the fire tree to 80...

Black Tortoise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.