Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat changes affects on Miners?

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Bowen Bloodgood, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

It seems like different types of mages use different sets of spells. Water elementals are maddeningly hard to kill, as they spam heal and teleport almost as soon as they take damage. Fire elementals dont care much about healing themselves, unless you linger around and stop attacking them. Skeletal mages heal themselves, heal others, rez their friends if you dont loot them fast enough, and cast some kind of nasty lightning bolt that does about 50% of my health in damage (yellow skeletons). The elven mages in Superstition Canyon arent exhibiting any of these enhancements, theyre just spamming fireball at me like they always have. I saw one teleport to fight a polar bear, but so far I havent seen them heal or use any other spells on me but fireball.

Most of my negative impression was overexposure to water elementals and skeletal mages. I dont mind this variety, and it makes sense that undead are a bit harder since there are also specific spells and abilities just for killing them. Plus skeletal mages go down in a few strikes if you can stay on them, its just when there are multiple skeletal mages that soloing them is almost impossible.

Water elementals need some kind of nerf though, they seem to have infinite focus, so maybe limiting the amount they can heal themselves? They basically do no damage to me, and I run out of focus dumping all my best attacks on them, getting them very close to death, only to see them fully heal themselves in a few seconds. It just makes the fight take many minutes, and gets real tedious when focus runs out. Even with two people, water elementals are just a pain to kill. But hey, at least theyre not fauns!

Solazur likes this.
  2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Seems like the key is to enter with caution. I've only done Elysium... got mobbed first time in... ran back and luckily didn't die. PUt my Leeroy Jenkins hat away and proceeded with caution.. much better :)

Rather disappointed they took out the Golems in the lower lvl though... what happened to those?

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I think the most maddening part is
    1. Pulling the entire mine.
    2. Have stuff I just killed respawn on top of me.
    I'm fine with things being hard, in fact I think they should be. I think a couple of tweaks would make things feel a lot better. If the "call for help" was blocked by LoS, I think that might solve 1, if there was a minor exclusion zone around a player for respawning (also blocked by LoS) it would solve 2.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What seriously? What did they replace them with?

5. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Still got the same old Earth Ele's... I thought the Golems were a nice change

@Chris seeeee... :p

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Maybe. I just mean that I don't think difficulty went up in all areas for all players.

I didn't get a chance to go to all of the different mines until tonight, and my impression is that R42 changes didn't change mining much, other than in a few particular spots.

Elysium and Graff were about the same. Mage antics could be slightly annoying at times, and sometimes helper agro would bring things on the other side of walls into fights that they wouldn't normally run into.

The bottom of Etceter mine was actually slightly easier since everything is in isolated compartments. Not much difference there other than that fights are slightly faster.

Spectral was really the one place that I noticed a big difference. That open area near the entrance that you were talking about is a lot more dangerous now. Before, I wouldn't really take much damage from any of that stuff, mainly due to level difference I think, but now I could get killed quite easily if I wasn't careful. I just run back into that little room with the bedrolls when I first go in so that all the range mobs have to run in to get to me and they can't get away like out in the open. It's definitely much more dangerous though.

Overall, I don't see these combat changes making a big difference in how much people are able to mine. I think that there are some spots that are trickier than before, but that most are about the same, and that people will adjust pretty quickly to the spots that are trickier. I guess we'll see though.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

lol... survived getting mobbed by six Hardened Skeletons...

[​IMG]

8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Very interesting thread. I'm pretty clueless at this stage on the science of offensive vs defensive attunements, but I was wondering whether any part of the perceived dps increases from mages and other npc's such as archers is related to the Devs fleshing out and more aggressively penalising weaknesses in attunements vs specific mobs which is intended to push us to think harder about mob damage types and therefore our own resistamces / attunements in order to counter the npc's in areas where we intend to venture, such as mines and other instances where mob types can be analysed and configured against.

Attunements do fascinate me, despite not yet looking into them to any extent, as I perceive that they provide great potential for further gameplay elements and a nice layer of complexity to combat.

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've been mining in Ely, Spectral, and Graff since R42 and haven't really experienced any additional difficulty other than the mage-blinking-somewhere WAY out of line of sight - and then coming back with 5 of its friends. I guess I'm reasonably high level though, so I can massacre them all. Couple of guildies of mine who could mine spectral before can't even survive getting in there now, though. I just keep my fingers crossed that making fighting in the mines harder means we may get to keep the mines that actually have ore in them...

Lazlo likes this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

More ore?

ROFL!

But seriously, I think the intention is to have at least a couple people party up and go mining. I've done that a few times with other's in my guild. I think the intention is to get people going there in groups. It's WAY easier than I expected if you group up. Plus there was sufficient ore to keep us busy mining (in between battles).

Spectral Mines does seem tougher. I can still solo it but with some difficulty now. A little more strategy has helped. Moving around. Getting the skeletons where I want them to be. Hiding behind walls and letting them come to you! :)

I've also noticed its easier with my earth elemental running around. Been working on getting that skill up a bit.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, none of the existing mines respawns ore fast enough to support more than a single miner, at the moment, once you're mining/killing speed is fast enough. Grouping up you just stand around waiting for things to spawn or run around grabbing 1 node in a room, not really efficient.

I'd love if mines actually had enough ore in them, or a fast enough respawn, for a group of players to mine together, sadly the trend seems to be heading further away from this.

discipleofweb and Sentinel2 like this.
  12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Big rooms are basically stupid after this change. Not mining related, but the big room in the Crypts of the Avatar solo dungeon you visit during the Truth story quest is just BS. There are some combination of I want to say 6-8 hardened undead and 2-3 ghosts depending on the third ghosts pathing at the moment of agro that all swarm your unhappy ass for poking your head into it. In the worst case scenario that all the side room mobs come as well I had 5 mages, 4 footman, 3 archers, and 3 ghosts say "Oh Harro, we eat you nao." Without some spell/ability/ANYTHING to use in our arsenal to try to split mobs up... well... death. Lots and lots of death.

13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Summon Samael is pretty much required there.

14. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

He sure is. Even with him though the initial agro on everything tends to skip him and go straight to me. Once the room is broken all is well, but good god that first pull is always "Hold onto your butts!"

I need to be a tamer. Permanent "Samael" helper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.