Combat Decks discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powersurge, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

One of the things that goes way over folks head is the combat deck system and the various ways you can manipulate them, change them, charge them, combine them and the various skills affected by these minor adjustments that make a huge impact in game play. It honestly took me a year to "mostly" understand the combat and non-combat deck dynamics and i still experiment to this day to see how those changes impact my effectiveness.

Charging locked deck skills is like night and day compared to a single instance of a skill in an unlocked deck. And by large margin is completely different than skill stacking an unlocked deck or even more so by combining them into combos. There are different advantages and disadvantages to all of these approaches. If you are thoroughly confused by all of this, you are NOT ALONE and you shouldn't feel "newbish". This is a very complicated system. In many ways our game is much more evolved than tons of other MMOs on the market as it relates to our deck system. Unfortunately in most cases, new players and veteran players alike fail to adequately understand this system and its wide range of customization. This is one of the most prolifically intuitive, creative and flexible systems ever conceived of and whoever was the mastermind behind it was a genius! The sad part is genius tends to be misunderstood and unappreciated. I have a group of guildmates that are somewhat new to the game and I plan to sit down with them and talk about the various aspects of deckbuilding. This is going to be a "several session" conversation. I would say after about 4 or 5 hours, we will at least touch on most aspects of variable deck design.

We can all agree that our game needs "more" of X, X, X, etc...but if you understand the combat deck system at least somewhat you can agree that they did a fantastic job on it.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This is very true, the deck system is something that since day 1 I have spent way too many hours analyzing, and there are still things I am trying to figure out. I did make https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...k-building-cards-or-heat-why-not-both.126507/ which is a guide on some different methods to use the deck system, which is always handy, but there is so much more to it that even that just scratches the surface.

IMO the few things lacking for this is a way to make combos easier to stack, because requiring 3 slots and requiring 3 glyphs each time to stack (the combo + the 2 skills required to make a new ckmbo) makes it undesirable for most combos. I would also love to see a more impact full weakness system for mobs, so that schools of magic that are not fire or death could actually kill mobs at the later stages of the game, but since fire reigns Supreme this has not been a possibility yet (but I would still love to be able to kill T10 stuff with water magic...)

All in all, yes, I love our deck system and its endless list of options and possibilities

Time Lord, Aldo, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I both agree and disagree. Whilst I have a good understanding of the mechanics (thanks mostly so many chats with Armelion on the subject whilst watching him destroy UT at an alarming rate ;) ) and enjoy "theory crafting" optimal builds - I find the level of micromanagement required to play them just sucks the fun right out. Its mostly in the mechanics associated with stacking glyphs that just turns into keyboard mashing hell.

Yup ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.