Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Trihugger, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The pendulum has definitely swung. Archers are terrifying and getting mobbed is a legitimate cause for concern. These are probably good things.

All-the-things casting spells however seems cheap especially considering which spells are being cast:

A heavy armor wearing warrior has a ****-all chance to cast blink even standing still, yet elven fighters are freely zipping around like it ain't ****. Archer mobs are lowering their damage by running away to try to cast a spell. And somehow mages pumped some serious iron to raise that wrist strength to chuck arrows.

This severely cheapens the game with these nonsensical additions. Some realistic changes would have been globally reducing the fizzle rate on Ignite Weapon (lets be honest here, why is it so damned high in the first place?! It's a melee ONLY affected spell) and let Elven fighters cast that. You could give Archers spells like Gust/Root/Piercing Breeze combo. Mages you plain screwed the pooch on with them flicking arrows, sorry, nothing positive on that one.

AI changes and INTELLIGENT ... REALISTIC spell choices would be a much more immersive and ideal method of increasing the tool-kit of mobs. Giving them any ol' spells and leaving the AI for casting them in mage mode is not a positive addition, even for a first sweep.

Now... the other end of "end game" is hard to qualify right now because Fortify Defense is bugged. This leaves me with zero recourse to actually reduce critical damage done to myself when I'm supposed to have SOME option to basically alleviate how bad my butt hurts after I was crit the first time. @Chris your data is basically useless to generate any sort of baseline as to how much of an increase in end game difficulty was realistically achieved as a result.

These "reactive" abilities really leave something to be desired in general (This and Riposte specifically). There's no indication that you've fulfilled the 2ndary conditions for the abilities to be good AND it seems like the window to use them ability is damn near 0.5 seconds or shorter. My suggestion would to be make a check to see if these abilities are present in a given deck and generate a 5s buff (arbitrary #, could be slightly shorter but not shorter than 2s) that would be consumed on skill use and proceed to grant the skill its reaction-based affect. As it stands if you draw one of these skills IMMEDIATELY AFTER fulfilling the extra condition you do NOT get the benefit.

Increasing damage by increasing critical damage is not a good road to walk down if we ever want PvP to be anything more than a 1-shot fest. Changes to Polearms and Fireflies in this regard are not a good solution to the problem (although I don't really know what the *problem* with fireflies realistically was to begin with to need to be changed). Increasing the base damage ala Blade Mastery for Polearms (Double the potency for polearms or some similar factor) is a much better *steady* alternative to burst damage. As an aside, both Polearms and Bludgeon have CC effects baked into their abilities. As such there should be some trade-off in damage like we see in Blades which has zero CC, but has the single "execute" skill and higher crit. Flavor is just as important as balance.

Mob tracking behavior has also taken a turn for the worst in scenes with *stuff* in the way, IE mines. Kobolds seem to have a very hard time circumventing scaffolding/wooden supports/mining cart stuff in general and will often bug out and reset. Earth elementals are step-challenged and typically will get stuck trying to chase after me in the bottom of Graffe Gem Mines/Similar clones with basement elementals. It was bad before and seems like it has steadily gotten worse in the past few releases. It's very difficult to bug because it happens somewhat intermittently and rarely get stuck on the same object so I have to write it as a vague generalization.

And finally... Documentation! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY! Please... PLEASE... OH RAPTOR JESUS PUWEEEZE.... Please document what the various material bonus/special proc enchants (that mostly don't work)/special masterworks actually do. Particularly the masterwork abilities as those are the most cryptic of all. Aaaaand Critical Hit Increase % on gear. My experience does not match what has been posted elsewhere (namely by formula I should have ~22% chance to crit face tanking and 44% from behind, but my observed critical hit rate from behind is closer to 70%... entirely too much discrepancy for N=113). These things are not obvious and really should be explained, especially in light of the wonderful change that was buffing T2 materials and T3 Salvages.

I know this was a book but I don't think combat experienced many positive changes this release.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Gix, liz_the_wiz and Salix like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.