Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat: First Impressions, First Reaction

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Xander Xavier, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander Xavier

Xander Xavier Avatar

My only complaint about melee combat last release was that I had to tab to my preferred movement option every time I went into combat mode. I strongly dislike the right button movement mode. In combat or out, I move by holding down both mouse buttons. Now I do not have that option in combat anymore. Had you killed the move by holding down the right mouse button instead I would be praising you. As it is you have to tab between modes to fight the wolf then skin the wolf.

All we wanted you to do before you introduced your defective new targeting system was fix ranged targeting so we could stay on target. Why don’t you just accept that the new targeting system was a bad idea and a mistake? Go back to the old targeting system and let targeted skills be targeted and AOEs be AOEs and stop trying to mix the two.

How bad was it? I was warned in Ventrilo about the changes, so I stopped in a one skull area to check out changes in combat. I killed a few greens then exited the area and logged out on the spot to play one turn of Civilization V, and then write this post. Perhaps I will log back in Tuesday or so to see if anything is improved.

While I have too much invested in this game to drop it entirely I could easily reduce my involvement to the same level as UO where I do little more than login each day to feed the fish.

XX

Osiris3, Beaumaris, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The inability to move in combat by holding both mouse buttons is a bug incurred in the public release version. It worked just fine during QA testing.

Expect it to be corrected in a future patch. :)

3. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I agree, I dislike it so much right now. please improve it or return it to the old system.

Osiris3, Ice Queen and Kliirkast like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Chris has already stated in another thread that the inability to move via the mouse when in combat is a bug, and is supposed to be fixed in tomorrow morning's patch.....
    So, I guess we'll have to wait and see. :confused:

My BIG complaint is that there was apparently NO ONE on the dev team assigned to actually play the game with their code, who uses the mouse to move in combat.
    This issue would not have been an issue then, because - hopefully - it would have been fixed before foisting it upon us. :mad:

I mean, they've had the best part of a month to get it working.

I am beginning to think that all testing of code is done by - us alone.

Simply my opinion, of course....... ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Fister Magee and Leelu like this.
  5. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i hate the TARGET ICON... what is this? i'm watching the world from a rifle sight ?
    what are these RED TARGETS? how i can switch from a target to another target ? i need to kill first a poor rabbit and not the skeleton that is attacking me?

there is a way to manage this? maybe YES... but when i start to play a game.. i don't want to READ INSTRUCTIONS.... I DON'T WANT TO DO A TRAINING... THIS IS NOT REALISTIC.

i want just to understand (watching) how to play.. and these TARGETS are just adding confusion to scene.

Osiris3, Ice Queen and Bluefire like this.
  6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I like the new targeting system.

Anvar, SmokerKGB and CrazyPhil like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sara.... I'm a fan of yours, ie. I often like what you write here on the forums.

Having said that, I'm guessing you use the WASD keys to move, most especially when in combat.

Right ?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thank you and you are correct. I also am melee so the switch over to this system was especially easy for me.

I'm aware that it was rough on healers, archers, mages, and anyone who mouse-walks, though.

Leelu likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You are correct, M'Lady....
    For those of us who came into SotA "mouse-walking" for going on 2 years now, this sudden inability to do so is pretty much a game stopper.
    ;)

Osiris3 and Leelu like this.
  10. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

EXACTLY ! Why don’t you just accept that the new targeting system was a bad idea and a mistake ?

I feel exactly the same... and with the disappearance of the keys remapping I might just not have the choice. This game is now unplayable.

No. Return it to the old system. PERIOD.

With all the changes in R29 and R30, I got the weird feeling that the devs like to play but one way and that we have to comply with that standard.
    They want us all to be melee.
    They want us all to be melee using WASD only.
    They want us all to be melee using WASD only on QWERTY-US mapped keyboard.

pffff....

K.

Osiris3 likes this.
  11. helm

helm Avatar

Moving with left+right mouse button works on overland map, in cursor mode, and in combat (once the bug is fixed). So no reason to complain about that.
    Perhaps because...it wasn't a mistake? It's not "defective", actually I think it was the best thing to ever happen especially to ranged folks. Yes, there are still bugs, but that's a reason to make bug reports, not complain about bugs on the feedback forums.

And you don't have to like it, just don't use it. Go to Options -> Controls; move target mode switching away from Tab (I suggest trying the middle mouse button), now Tab is empty so remap target cycling (by default mapped to 'G') to Tab, 20 seconds and there's your old Tab targeting right there, with some bugfixes added (like fixed the ability to target things you don't even see, which shouldn't happen).

Fister Magee and r-DotPhunky like this.
  12. Kliirkast

NO ! You got to choose. Either you move, or you fight. I do not take into account bugs that might or might not be fixed. I'm evaluating what is actually delivered to us right now.

OK, here I am. Running, using my mouse to move. I can mine, or cut wood, or open doors. Suddenly I'm jumped by foes. Ha, dang... TAB key, start to defend... huh ? What the, I shot a rabbit... quick let's target a skeleton. Dang again, I must TAB, cuz no cursor avail. OK, cursor back, quickly shift-click on the skel ranger. Huh ? I'm too far to use my root. Dang again, can't move closer cuz gotta hit that infamous TAB before moving. What the h***. .. And this is supposed to be an improvement ???

Those changes were mistakes. Someone forgot that "new" is not always "better". Such a big (and obviously not fully tested) move to uncharted lands has to be done cautiously with the ability for the users to choose which way he wants his/her character to behave. Since R29 I've felt I was constantly changing from a PC to a gamepad to a PS3 to a whatever back to a downgraded portable.

Haha... No way. Options are empty but the audio one.

They keep changing standards and combat mechanics and expect us to be happy when shooting at rabbits 30 meters away instead of at the foe that's hitting us ? Coem on, waht wdoul oyu sya fi evreynoe dan it's omhter swa cahngnig standards at llwi ?

K.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Osiris3 likes this.
  13. helm

helm Avatar

Well, it's a bug. Stuff like this often happens in early access, especially after a major release.

NRaas and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is untrue. Alot of the targetign changes thsi release are geared twards improving ranged and spell combat as wella s healing. Healing works now with keys F1 thru F8 assigned ot target party members and lock on, And the ability to select a target allwos you to mroe easily choose what you want to h it with ranged attacks. Melee remains largely unchanged since tab-targeting days

helm likes this.
  16. Kliirkast

When things are bad, well, they're bad.
    When things are well done they deserve to be said so.

I am very pleased with the targeting and movements features as they are now (build 418). A real improvement.
    I'm still not quite sure about the reticule, time will say.

Now about unwanted pulls, something's not clear yet : if I lock a target (shift-click), will I shoot at something else ? I've had the feeling I made some unwanted pulls, although my target was locked, and I was facing it (but another foe came to me from the same direction).

All in all, I'm rather happy again. I hope it's the same for the other classes.

K.

17. Ryahl

Ryahl Avatar

I haven't played in a few builds, but dropped back in.

I play melee, use WASD, and don't like the new system at all.

It's not hard to target (as a melee) or move (as a WASD), but I am fighting with the UI not playing the game.

• I can't turn my camera at all while fighting.
    • My camera gets stuck in the trees while skinning.
    • I have to break out of the UI to access clickable parts of the UI
    • I have way too many hot keys for a game that wants me to play with one hand on mouse and one on keyboard. Maybe I can remap 6-10 to left handed keys?
    • The system really seems to clash with the deck style combat, if that's still encouraged
    It's frustrating and feels like cobbling an action RPG UI onto a totally different game. I will play around with it a bit more, but I suspect it'll become functional but never intuitive.

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Me too. I play SOTA and never use it. One can still use the WASD keys too.

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I like it too, once you get used to it and practice... I don't use the KB but for "S" to retreat and occasionally "A or D" to dive out of trouble... I selected "hold tab" key to loot and I only get it confused when I use "I" to open my bag, that seems to confuse the system as to which mode to use, and tabing just reverses the modes... Closing my bag reverts it to normal (holding)...

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Press G to cycle through targets in your Fov and range, or hold left shift and click on them to get a red target on them.
    Hold left shift and click on party members or self to get a blue cross hair to show who your healing.You can have both an offensive target and a healing target locked. F1-F8 also does this.
    Also in the Game options theres a box to tick somewhere near the top - Allow targeting self with mouse click (or somthing like that)

Finally Esc to clear all locked targets.

Its a bit clunky, ie all the key presses but it works a lot better for heals etc than before, hoprfully well be able to customize key options and Target crosshair visibilty/icons etc in future, aswell as Keybinds.

Gatsu. and SmokerKGB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.