Combat is fun

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Isaiah, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I made some comments in dev+ about some critiques, and others had some as well, but the one thing I did notice "even as a tough critic" of the deck system, combat is still fun. So if anybody is loging in the night before R8 wondering how this deck system is going to be like don't get frustrated. It has a really quick learning curve.

Click K select your skills (make sure you pick up the focus skill tree), then click Y to build your deck. You need to set your deck size, and dealing speed, and build your deck with good combat skills. Go kill some spiders before entering a PvP zone, because some of us had hours worth of experience.

You will have weapons, and a shield. So build armor. Enjoy. I still hope for a few tweaks to the system but I think this is going to work. If you feel frustraited post about what it is you would like to see, but since the system is fun to play with I don't think the devs should waste their time going back to the traditional model. they know what I requested so I won't wast space here with it. I hope you all enjoy too. I am looking forward to seeing what these PvP zones will be like with lots of people. I might not be able to travel alone anymore. LoL

good luck.

rild, Saosis, charock and 15 others like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

@Abydos

You going to be around tomorrow afternoon? I think we might need to travel in parties, I like your skills with the swords. Well timed!

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well it was making me mad. So at least on some level that's a win.

4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Peace Lord Trady !

Yes Isaiah, i ll be there.

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I do wonder how many total skill points players will be able to earn by level cap. The way things are set up, it seems to me like you'll need a lot.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't think we can draw too many conclusions from R8. There's too much missing.

It is reminding me of Golden Axe a little where you know the best magic (the girl) is the one you can put the most "jugs"/"points" into though.

I think definitely some balancing for ranged weapons is required. Ranged is so weak, I can barely take down wolves with that epic bow...

Fire arrow is way too much this release, especially if you have those innate fire abilities all jacked up.

People do this running away thing and firing fire arrow and that extra damage really adds up. If there was a way for a Knight type (a tank) to douse those flames that would help.

It's close though. Much of this feedback is user bias I'm sure. I definitely got my ass handed to me much more often on day 2 than day 1 where I was straight up murdering people.

Ravicus Domdred and DizzySol like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

And if you want to put the past behind us it might be benificial to join forces too. Who knows what crazy guilds will be partied up tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

charock, Ravicus Domdred and Abydos like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think they have changed gears on level caps and are going back to the continuous leveling, but it would take you forever to get every skill. So there will likely be no hard cap, and after seeing the skill system i can see why.

Mishri, Duke NRaas and Trenyc like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Oh most certainly. I really don't want to bring any baggage from the forums into the game.

Internet forums tend to bring the worst out in people. Some people just write in a confrontational style that annoys others.

As far as yesterday, I think it was like 15-4 Isaiah TheTraveler.

I was testing out different types of attacks but at some point I just wanted to win... :)

Abydos and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Exactly, this is not going to be strictly for fun, although it is fun! It is to give feedback on pvp. Balance, timing, and bugs. The fun is just a bonus!

Time Lord, charock and Abydos like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wonder if the devs can give us feedback like win loss stuff. They might be able to tell if we were killed by more than one person. If they display a win loss ratio it would be nice if losses to multiple people could be in a separate column to diferentiate losses between one on one vs being attacked by a group of two or more.

I say that because i think a lot more players will be on and i cant help but try to tangle with a group in hopes of picking one off.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

ya, this is true. already on the first day I was getting ganked 3 vs 1 lol. People are more interested in pwning than the mechanics :p

Time Lord and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There were like five people the first day with the same last name. They basically branded their names in my hide.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I rather get a person one on one. Only enough focus to take out one person.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

yes I feel the same. I tried to talk to them while they were attacking me but nope lol, they no can listen :p Its all cool though, everyone is bottled up and wanting to pvp. I just wish more people would be open to testing on each other.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

That brings up another point. I really hope they do not allow multiboxing in game, I hate that stuff.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Isaiah, you sir rock. We'll keep improving the system but already very confident it will work and be awesome even though we're only 20-30% of the way into the skill trees. Keep the constructive feedback coming!

@Ravicus, multiboxing on the deck system will be at best, challenging! :p

Lord Spaz, charock, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  18. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Rumor mill says you're BFFs with the zone line. :p

Chris and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  19. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

I have to agree with the combat being surprisingly fun already, at this early stage. I especially like the fact that you can interrupt your enemies with a well timed spell/skill of your own.

20. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Isaiah, I know you said it was fun in the dev+ forums, but I'm glad that you're even having more fun with the deck system. Good to hear.

@Trady, check out water, I believe. I hate to give away my fire dot advantage, but you'll find douse in there.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.