1. NOTICE: The game is still in Early Access, which does not constitute a Launch! Please keep feedback and concerns tempered during this still-in-development period. We are working hard to make the game ready for Launch, based on your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Lessons - From Novice To Master

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Net, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Net

Net Avatar

During the very first lesson on the floor of the newly founded Novian Academy, Avatars had a chance to learn basics of the combat.

Net taught avatars his secrets for success in combat, Gaelis Trajan helped with the practical demonstration of the ten basic principles (and surprisingly managed to kill Net) while Arianna recorded the lesson. Amber Raine (Avatars Radio) provided a commentary over the aether.

You can watch the recording here:

For R16, there will be more lessons held at the Novian Academy (founded by Kazyn Phoenixfyre)

Combat Lessons - From Novice to Master
    Instructor: Net
    Assistant: Gaelis Trajan

This four part introductory course in combat teaches avatars the key elements they will need to keep in mind to become a better combatant. Upon completing this course, avatars should be equipped to take on PvE and PvP combat with confidence. Graduates of all four courses are eligible for the exclusive customized degree in combat arts.

CBT100 - Combat Theory And Introduction
    note: this is the same course which was held last Friday and you can watch it in the recording should you miss it
    This course covers the the 10 commandments of SotA combat, and all of the key points to remember to be effective in combat. Students taking this course will understand the working theory of the combat arts utilized by some of SotA's most prolific champion warriors and mages!

Time: Friday 2015-03-27 18:00 UTC (1pm NBT)

CBT 101 - Deck Building And Combos
    This advanced course handles deck building basics. Here, Avatars will learn the important skills needed in order to be effective in combat, the various skill lines to keep in mind and pointers for how to build an effective deck for combat. Students will also learn about stacking and combos, which will make their abilities more powerful.

Time: Friday 2015-04-03 20:00 UTC (3pm NBT)

CBT 102 - PVE Combat
    In this course our instructors cover the practice and application of the combat theory and deck building lessons into PvE combat. Here, avatars will learn how to effectively fight monsters.

Time: Friday 2015-04-10 20:00 UTC (3pm NBT)

CBT 103 - PVP Combat
    In this final advanced course our instructors cover the practice and application of the combat theory and deck building lessons into combat between avatars. Avatars will learn how to be effective in fights against the most cunning enemy - other avatars.

Time: Friday 2015-04-17 20:00 UTC (3pm NBT)

2. Jakdaw (Retired)

Jakdaw (Retired) Avatar

I just finished watching the recording. Well done! I'm sad that I completely missed this one! (Although I noticed my guildmate didn't; go Hookliner! :))

The theory discussed in this is fantastic. There have been times when I've discussed many factors that have NOTHING to do with the "best build" or the "right gear", and how they contribute to a combat. That said, I'm a rambler, and tend to lose all but the most determined of my audience within minutes. In contrast, I'm impressed at how frank and concise your information was. It highlighted the core values of any combat without getting hopelessly lost in the "statistical" jargon.

------

Due to RL constraints, I won't be able to attend the 3rd or 4th class. Aside from gathering the knowledge first-hand, is there any reason I'd want to receive credit for attending the classes? And if so, is there an alternative method to get said credits?

Themo Lock, Gaelis and Net like this.
  3. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

This idea is really cool, thank you for doing this. I am sorry I missed the first one, though I intend to be at the coming one, which is the same lesson as the one I missed, so no great harm there. Though I missed being there in person for the first one, I did just watch the video. I like the teachings in it.

With the concept of multiple masters suggestion, I thought about past games I've played (Particularly ones I've PvPed in) and can come up with lists of people I've learned from and could perhaps consider my "Masters" I also have in mind some people that I would have considered my students (One in particular with which I actually had a formal Student(him)/Master(me) relation, in which I gave him the secrets of my deck (No, SotA is not the first/only game to use a deck system.), explain to him how/why the deck worked, and had regular sparring sessions with him to give him firsthand combat experience with using it.

Alas, that was however, in a game I was good at/had considerable experience with. In SotA I am still a youngling, I have not even really suffered my first wipe. (I did have a character before the last wipe, but I don't think he was even level 10, so........)

But, I'm rambling.....back to the subject of SotA. Net suggested "Three Masters", but when I stopped to think about who might fit a "Master" role I came up with not one, not three, but six people. For some unexplainable reason I sat down, thought about it, and came up with six historical figures/martial artists/warriors to compare these six "Masters" to. Pointless perhaps.

Of course Net, we already know he teaches, which is something a master must be capable of, he is wise, he is fast, he is strong. Winner of tournaments, master of duels, I equate Net to Miyamoto Musashi, legendary duelist and perhaps the most famous swordsman of his homeland, Japan (Nippon)

Themo Locke, I don't actually know Themo personally, but I've heard about him, a pusher of "limits". Themo has apparently gone farther than anyone else in pushing the boundries of his power, and being dedicated to improvement like he is is a good trait to pick up if you want to stay ahead of the game. I equate Themo Locke to Bruce Lee, who said there are no limits, only plateaus.

Kazyn Phoenixfyre, now this may sound odd to some, since I think everyone else on this list is at least somewhat active in PvP, and unless I am much mistaken, Kazyn has stated he has no interest in PvP, but just hear me out. If Net is Miyamoto, the great fighter, then Kazyn is Sun Tzu, cunning, strategic, philosophical. So, I equate Kazyn Phoenixfyre to Sun Tzu.

I cannot very well leave out Zero TSG (Graylake21 on the forums) as he is the one I have learned the most from so far, he has a detailed guide posted, it is what I currently use, and in that sense he is already my master, the first I've learned from in New Britannia. Zero spreads his teachings where he can. And so I equate Zero TSG to Yip Man, Grandmaster of Ving Tsun/Wing Chun

Envy, from what I have gathered, Envy is not a good guy (At least not in game, where he PKs people.) I don't know Envy that well, but that one time I did watch his twitch stream he was running around murdering everyone he saw, successfully mind you, not just attempting to. (It was in an open PvP zone) So I have tagged him "Sadistic and Murderous" and perhaps learning from him (but not learning to be like him), we can gain insight into the mind of a madman. (Though I don't think he is a bad person IRL, I've known "Bad characters" that are played by people that are great folk, you just don't want to be on the wrong side of them in game.) I equate Envy's character to Genghis Khan, Commonly accepted as being a bad guy, but you can't argue the fact that he was accomplished when it came to warfare.

Bambino LudoVate - Bambino, PvP enthusiast and yet he helps others learn the ropes, Bambino knows his stuff, and organizes PvP shenanigans. Bambino is assembling like-minded Avatars into an organization of PvPers. Regardless of his guild having "Assassins" in the name, Bambino strikes me as honorable, though I may be mistaken, and if I am, my comparison will be far from accurate. But, thinking of Bambino as an honorable warrior, I will just go with it. I equate Bambino LudoVate to Hijikata Toshizo. This is personally the highest honor I can give, higher even than Net's Miyamoto Musashi, or Kazyn's Sun Tzu. Hijikata Toshizo was Vice-Commander of the Shinsengumi, the Shinsengumi were "More samurai than samurai." They had a very strict code of honor. Hijikata Toshizo, in the end, went into a battle he knew he would not win. He was killed in said battle. Though this could be considered idiotic, it was a matter of a very demanding code of honor. Before the battle he said : "I am not going to battle to win. With the Tokugawa government about to collapse, it would be a disgrace if no one is willing to go down with it. That is why I must go. I will fight the best battle of my life to die for the country". I have an attachment to the stories of the Shinsengumi partly because I love samurai culture in general, and partly because years ago I joined a guild based on the Shinsengumi, a guild which I was part of through multiple games. The leader of the guild had such extensive knowledge of Japanese culture, Shinsengumi in paricular, that he probably could have written an essay longer than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Alas, I am rambling again, /endridiculouspost

4. Net

Net Avatar

Oh I love your analysis of 6 masters. I think there are couple more people (Archaon Avenguard for one, but also Destrafa, Turin, White Witch, Parallelogram...)
    As a sidenote, Bambino is quite honourable and he actually left Assassins;)

And yes, every master is quite different personality. That is why I think you need to meet and learn from more than one, to see things from different angles. Then you realize they are not flat, but have "depth" within. It is hard to explain:)

Now I need to learn about Miyamoto Musashi:D

Bambino, Themo Lock, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

We are starting in 20 minutes, you can /zone Net now.

Sammegarian likes this.
  6. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Well run and very professional. I would certainly recommend attending if you would like to improve your combat knowledge.

Leostemplar, Gaelis and Net like this.
  7. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

I missed it :(

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This was an excellent lesson! Thank you for holding these. Although I'm very interested about configuring my deck and learning how to effectively kill monsters, I won't be able to make the timeframe of the future lessons. :( (4am my time)... hmm.. maybe if i go to bed early and set an alarm.. ;)

Themo Lock and Gaelis like this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

Well, luckily for you there is video recording in the first post;)

I quite hope that other lessons will be recorded as well

Veronica and Gaelis like this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

Unfortunately, I can't see the videos. maybe if i can get a VPN working..

Net likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Be water my friend.

Net, Jakdaw Foxlauden and Sammegarian like this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

Next lesson is starting in 5 minutes, hurry up and /zone Net

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I am so sorry I had to miss this lesson - I hope there is a recording!

Gaelis and Net like this.
  14. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

Awww, shet, I missed it.

Gaelis and Net like this.
  15. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

For anyone who missed the lesson, you can watch the recording here

smack, Miracle Dragon, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Ahh, Amber, tko is 'technical knockout.' (not 'total'). And Net said 'tka', so maybe, 'technical knock away'? another great lesson! I hope to learn a lot from these. Thank you for doing them!!

Gaelis likes this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

Just a quick update on today's lesson.

The lesson will take place in Deep Ravenswood at the entrance.

18. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Avatar

interesting..

Themo Lock likes this.
  19. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Event in progress! Zone Net!

[​IMG]

20. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

Son of a.....I really am losing track of things. Gotten so busy I'm missing everything, including things I swore to myself I'd attend. Not only did I miss last weeks, now I missed this week's lesson too.