Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat - Quick Beginners Q&A

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Lord Viator, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Drawn from my own experience in the first Dev+ test (in the order I came across them). Feel free to add to this for the benefit of others.

Combat - Quick Beginners Q&A

I have no combat bar when drawing my weapon
    - Spend your skill points (Press K), then build and equip a deck (Press Y).​

Can I get more than 4 slots?
    - Yes, go to your skills (Press K). Go to 'Magic' -> 'Focus', and spend some points in 'Higher Consciousness'. After this, edit your deck (Press Y), and change your 'Hand Size'.​

Only my first two combat slots are populating
    - Go to your skills (Press K). Go to 'Magic' -> 'Focus', and spend some points in 'Concentration' and 'Mental Reflex'. After this, edit your deck (Press Y). Increase your 'Draw Speed', and decrease your 'Discard Speed'.​

I keep getting grey cards I can't use
    - These are slugs.​

- What are slugs?
    - Essentially, they are blank cards.​

- Why am I getting slugs?
    - If you have less than 20 cards in your deck, slugs will make up the difference. For example if you have 12 cards in your deck, the other 8 will be slugs. Also, you gain extra slugs for wearing heavier armor.​

I have to wait for my favorite ability to pop up?
    - No, go to your skills (Press K). Go to 'Magic' -> 'Focus', and spend some points in 'Eidetic memory'. After this, edit your deck (Press Y), and drag your favorite ability into a slot.​

Other players do much more damage than me
    - Look through combat skills for ones that increase damage (Press K).​

My spells are fizzling
    - Try wearing less armor.​

I can't heal myself
    - Target yourself before using the healing spell (click on yourself, press F1, or hold 'alt' while using the spell).​

How can I get out of the root spell?
    - Jumping has a chance of breaking root.​

I can't edit my deck
    - Make sure you are not in combat mode (Press Z).​

2. TranZdog

TranZdog Avatar

Good info, took me 30 min to figure out some of that :)

TheMadHermit likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Good stuff. You can spend 23 minutes listening to me blather on in my poorly done video or spend 3 minutes reading this post and get more critical information! Well done sir!

Also, some day we'll have a video to ease the learning curve!

Arianna, Soleidad, Sinclair and 10 others like this.
  4. pjk

pjk Avatar

If there's a core game loop that requires a 23 minute video to explain, then the problem isn't with my comprehension skill.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Definitely nothing wrong with your comprehension, I'm sure.

The problem is a lack of lead-up in-game.

Currently, we are thrust into the full system, without having to start from the bottom and slowly work our way up, learning new bits as we progress.

A proper in-game "tutorial" for this system would most likely entail several of the initial character progression levels, and would probably take several hours of entertaining game-time. :)

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well and doesn't that make sense to have us fumble around in the dark to find what we will trip over? It is perfect to flesh out all that is confusing and not workable. We should try to relax and keep telling them what we are tripping over in the dark. You are all amazing, keep up the good work.:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I will be working up a small video of my experience with Release 8, but I have to say, not a fan of the combat system at all. It is not the system I would expect from this style of game. I could of read more details on it and probably understood it better I don't feel that I want to. It just seems over complicated for no reason..

Sinclair and Lord Lonn Bimmer like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I am ok with tab targeting.

Not because I need an 'easy button.'

But because I think having it avoids other game behaviors that can be annoying - like massive amounts of jumping during PVP. That is annoying, at least to me, because it makes the PVP game be about something like jumping, instead of focusing on using the combat and magic skills in the game a little more thoughtfully.

It can be debated the other way just as effectively though.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

On slugs: This comment relates to the old adage, perception is reality.

I understand the purpose of slugs. They are something other than acquired skills that the game design does not want us to always have at our beckon call. Basic attacks without any fanfare. That is fine.

However, I worry a little about the 'feel' they create for combat as presented. By its nature, the word 'slug' does not imply much value to a knight, mage or gamer. Quite the opposite. Additionally, the dull rock image of the slug doesn't seem to imply much value either. They just .... feel....valueless. Its a perception the game creates.

So if I see a lot of slugs, I don't feel very valuable or effective as an avatar. I don't think that is good for the combat system. Why not make slugs just be a basic attack skill with an image like other runes have? Would that be too confusing to recognize slugs? Is there a fundamental reason to recognize slugs as much as we do now?

Food for though. Cheers!

Svahn and Lord_Viator like this.
  10. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Thanks for the guide. Very helpful. In general i have problems to understand why this deck combat system is used for a "spiritual successor" of the Ultima series. I have never played a game with such a combat technique and i also do not understand the advantage. Maybe you can add the why to the FAQ

Dusty Macd and Mata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.