1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat/Skills/Spells video chat!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Welcome to the interwebz, where everybody is a king.
    But you are right. That's the main reason I avoid most of the hangouts.

Lord Baldrith, Chatele, agra and 2 others like this.
  2. Logain

Logain Avatar

Sorry @Chris, I have to disagree with you(r first slide sheet). You are equally skilled at conveying ideas, you just use different means. Where LB is taking an approach at a general 'feeling' and the story relevance, you are attempting to explain ideas through numbers and formulas. Both ways are great, it just happens that a majority of people has an easier access to 'feeling'. Since I'm more into logic, formulas and statistics, I actually enjoy your version the most. Thank you very much for the opportunity and the insight on a few of the formulas.

As for the damage of auto attack versus skill, I had the same perception. But this is where number crunching comes into play. The reason why I had this 'feeling' is because I had a base weapon skill of 80ish compared to most other skills in the 10-20's. I had simply not used them enough to be on equal grounds for a fair comparison on efficiency. I don't know if this is true for the others that reported the issue, but it might be a hint at the direction.

I've got to confess that I still think you're slightly biased on the subject of 'locked glyphs' though. It was slightly amusing that you said they wouldn't have any disadvantage over 'dynamic glyphs', but then went on iterating though three points where the 'dynamic glyphs' are superior (which effectively boils down to a disadvantage, doesn't it). As long as you can not use combos on locked glyphs, they are never going to be on an equal stance (and I mean without having to go hybrid and combine them with dynamic glyphs).

Wilfred, 4EverLost, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Ooh, sexy!

@Logain After the show I realized that part of the reason for the perception was because most everyone started off the release by standing and auto attacking a gust ball until their weapon skill got up to a high value. Then later started on the specific skills. At equal skill levels, the skills will always out damage the weapon attack!

Also, there is no doubt that from a purely technical and math stand point that dynamic glyphs have more power opportunities BUT they are more work and take your eyes off the screen more. Likewise, I would say that most locked deck players have an advantage in that they can keep their eyes on the screen more and move more freely. If you're mostly a caster, that is less important which is why most new weaving elements are focused on magic.

@all, agree that while I did a good job of answering questions, I answered the wrong questions. I'll do better next time and I will make sure the next time isn't too far off.

4. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

Thanks Chris. Really appreciate you hearing our concerns.

-Padre

5. Logain

Logain Avatar

It works without the gustball as well, since the main weapon skill (on auto attack!) is used way more frequently than any other skill, hence gaining levels faster. Even more so if you try to invest into a couple of skills equally (e.g. if you have 10 skills, each one gets not even a tenth of the uses of the main weapon skill with auto attack).

There are no wrong questions to answer/select. You did great with the tools you had at your disposal. Every question you answered certainly made a couple people happy and you can never appease everybody! ;)

That is actually what people have been trying to point out though. By sheer UI design, the 'pure locked mode' would have an 'ease of use' advantage, which is why the 'dynamic/mixed mode' has an advantage to add incentive for usage (resulting in an artificial mathematical disadvantage for locked).
    I still hope that this can be somewhat changed as to include combos (which are simply a main selling point for the combat) and grant other benefits.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I asked a lot of questions, I'm not sure why that's a problem. It's not really cool for anyone to point a finger at me for asking questions, that's what we were asked to do.

Hate the game not the player.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

This explains so much.

margaritte, Solazur and agra like this.
  8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I hate thee not, hey I don't even know ya but man, were it me, ..

Edit: It's not your "fault" that Chris selected so many question from one person as to call it the bdf show. All of us are different, I'd feel uncomfortable but that's just me I guess.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED that not one question was answered about ARCHERY, which is my TOTAL love... I don't care about magic, I don't care about Tanks, I only care about Archers cause that's what I want to play . So I listened intently for a response to archery hoping to hear what plans are for them as far as the expense of arrows (don't want to rely on crafting them or the ridiculous high price others sell them for) I want to buy them on the fly from merchants at a affordable price per 100 Arrows, the weight of them (needs to be lesson cause with the weight per 100 arrows I can carry at low lvl's if far too much if I want to be able to harvest and carry loot & the arrows I need to kill the stuff trying to kill me etc) , SO I was hoping to hear from you the possibility of lowering the price and the weight of the arrows .... We are the only chars in game that can't compete effectually with out ammo. A Mage can fight without ammo, tanks can, but archers can not, they need arrows, and it takes a lot of them to kill things, so we have to constantly leave a scene due to running out of arrows fast, because we can only carry so many due to the weight of them and due to how many it takes killing stuff so on so forth, BAH .... We need lots of LOVE HERE!!!! Archery is far from fun to me, it's so frustrating to solo play one.

Verone, 4EverLost, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  10. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Errrr Chatele, i leveled up archery without arrows >> the ranged skills dont require arrows, only the blank shot does.

Archery is really viable compared to magery. Im using the free attack mode and shoot fully charged shots that do big big big damage. The down side appears when you are wearing a light armor which doesnt protect you at all. So if i want to go solo archer, i take my heavy plate armor and all is fine.

blaquerogue and margaritte like this.
  11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Yes but without the arrows you do crap for damage, and you don't lvl up your skills and it's BORING ... And if I wear plate, it makes it less arrows you can carry with you, if you want to be able to be able to carry back the loot and the harvestables ....

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Its all good Chris! Sometimes we get lost in the forums (all of us do) Im just glad you happen to be one of the Combat Devs that focus on PVP as well as PVE, i mean we need to try to give everyone something to enjoy in game, and not just one certain type of player, I am so glad you started this new Video! It answers a lot of questions that sometimes I feel are pushed aside to talk about other things like how or what to decorate, what types of deco etc.... Dont get me wrong i like to deco my lots and houses but i also like the combat aspect of games like these, and the PVP aspect and design as well. That interests me personally more! (thats just my opinion) Thanks so much for doing this!

Also we all need to keep in mind this was a first run at this "special" video session! A dry run as we call it in the Military.

BDF we dont hate you, just a lot of only your questions were answered! Chris even said he was going down the list, you just got the first jump on all the questions is all, the rest of us came in later and started asking. Some of us have a lot of questions, so narrowing it down to 3 per person, per video would get in more questions from others as well, and move the video along to get more variety of peoples questions answered.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

...except 1) you really can't cast spells very well while wearing plate armor (fizzle too high, which is why I always wear leather armor ;)) and 2) you drain your focus much faster if you are not using arrows (leaving less focus to cast healing spells, etc.) :eek: Besides, from a purely role-playing point of view :rolleyes:, what archer or ranger is going to be running around wearing plate armor?! Archers and rangers are supposed to rely on speed and stealth - which is not possible if you are running around the forest in plate :confused:

4EverLost and Chatele like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im glad im not an archer!!! If i played a Ranger in D&D, id be wearing leather armor (which doesnt really protect at the moment), armed with a longsword (now i have to switch decks!), Id carry roughly 100 arrows or less (weight allowances may effect that) Then to have to cast spells (waving hands) ooops! i need another deck. (Only Clerics, Paladin, and Monks can cast without moving hands) all others need hands to wave around!

I think a solution for Archers would be not needing to carry basic arrows just have an infinite amount all the time (they will be basic low damage) but if you want exploding arrows etc... then those you would have to carry (adding to weight allowances) If you have a magic type of arrow, it just appears on the bow as you draw. (a skill in the archer tree) when you close on a target or it closes on you it automatically goes to long sword (not long sword and shield) you fight melee close up then when you get a certain distance from the target it automatically goes back to bow for ranged. You should not be able to cast magic while your carrying a bow (the bow needs to be put up or dropped to use your hands and cast like a mage.) Thats just my basic D&D outlook on it. I think it would make some archers happier :)

Im not sure whats in the Archer tree but these seem like a good thing to have there........

Fire Arrow (magic appears as you draw)
    Lightening Arrrow (magic appears when you draw)
    Poison arrows (have to go craft an arrow and put poison on it)
    ManyShot Arrow (magic aims toward sky many arrows come down in certain area AOE)
    Exploding Arrow (magic appears when you draw AOE)

just a few i could think of from my old D&D table Top days.

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Yeah, it would be nice to have a melee weapon to fall back on (i.e., still hoping for my Dragon Katana :rolleyes:), but that just isn't possible if you are trying to build up both your archery and magic skills o_O Just not enough skill points to go around :(

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I have the same problem trying to get a close to Cleric build, bludgeon/Life/fire/sun! etc.... Not enough skill points to make it, you can semi make it but not fully.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Oh i have a Question here to be answered in the 7th video (lol) can we please make banish undead an AOE, so its closer to a Turn undead spell! :)

18. Gabriel Nightshadow

Makes a lot of sense to me :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I was sort of disappointed to hear "All warriors will need life magic".

No mincing of words, no maybes, but the flat statement that if you want to do any solo content warriors will have to take Life Magic. Potions won't cut it, or other healing methods. Life. Magic.

I suppose from that I have to ask, will some story elements be solo-only? If so, you're asking me to choose between playing the class I want with friends and being able to complete the story.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

If what he meant "warriors will naturally have a tougher time without life magic / potions", I don't mind that at at all because its naturally true : magic has its advantages. One if its advantages is it helps ease natural difficulties -- though it should be at a cost -- ie reagent cost, and the cost of not using weapons and armor.

But if what he meant -- can't say that it is -- is that the game will be designed around the expectation of warriors having healing magic, then that would be disappointing. It means that blocks and counters won't be effective. It means that enemy AI will be designed in a way that avoiding swarms is impossible, and there's no way to fight them separate from them with stealth and clever tactics. It means that heal spells will continue to be designed as a free "rescue button".

I'm not sure what Chris meant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.