1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat/Skills/Spells video chat!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I believe his exact words were "I don't think the expectation of playing a warrior without any magic should be something we even take seriously".

Suggests that potions won't be enough. He then says that you can go pure in a party situation as there would be someone else there who could heal you.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Or was he saying something to the effect of a warrior without magic won't be equally competitive against one with magic.

3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Well yeah. The downside is healing is a first tier skill that can be cast in plate. There is literally no reason not to take it and no chance that every other defensive skill you took would be more vital or better in terms of survival.

This was still something I found disappointing. But regardless, if the story content can be played with a party, then it isn't a huge deal, as you can still make your thematic character and play a role, as silly as that sounds.

Just don't like the idea of "I am a mighty warrior who trusts in only the axe in his hand! I trust not the magic of this world... except life magic, that stuff is super NIFTY!"

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea IMO healing should be just as difficult to cast in plate as fire spells. There's no good reason to make healing easier in plate.

I also support tying low tier spells to reagents.

Having healing spells should always have its upside, but it shouldn't be as easy for a warrior to use them as it is for a mage to use them, and a warrior having potions instead of heal spells should also have its advantage.

Duke Lorimus and Solazur like this.
  5. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

For the sake of grinding they could add a lay hands type branch to the heavy armor skills that would help you keep forward momentum but not magical as the life line ie gets health from some other source .

6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Virtue/chaos levels power/strengthen/unlock the abilities? Maybe you do an orancle quest to unlock them? Paladins anyone? Liking it.

7. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

On another topic, I just had an idea on how to make comboing glyphs easier, because right now (and even with the combo key mapped to my mouse) having to press three keys to create a combo is a bit of a pain, and trying to combo a glyph just before it actually comes up can lead to some confusion.

So here's my suggestion : casting an ability should happen on key release, and not on key press as it does now. This way, you can allow pressing down two glyphs at the same time to combo them.

Hope this helps.

Logain and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

As a long time tabletop player there certainly is. Clerics have always worn heavier armor.

blaquerogue and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I would like to see life magic turned int "holy magic" then this would solve this. I believe that clerics and paladins use a different form of magic from source, where as (I think) life magic and such in sota is basically reagent based, except for lower levels. Not sure. But I have always loved the Cleric, as it was my very first template :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Banish Undead + Purify Burst as a AOE vs undead would be a killer combo

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Clerics also couldn't use bladed weapons and had some other restrictions. So with the advantage, there was a trade-off and a disadvantage. Plus, the lore rationale behind this was that they got their magic through some deity, and they had to act according to alignment to use their magic. In SotA there are no such disadvantages, so you're just going to have overpowered fighters with magic skills calling themselves "paladins" just to excuse the fact that they're overpowered.

The SotA lore rationale isn't going to match the background for a cleric anyway. Life magic is magic just like any other magic.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It will be interesting to see the storyline in the future of Paladis. :) (The Paladins of Resolute)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    blaquerogue likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yes Clerics and Pallys got their power by worshiping certain Dietys and Demigods, So if playing a cleric (yes i use bludgeon only) healing spells and sun spells should be natural for them. As far as being OP the mages haveDischarge and lightening strike which will do a lot more damage to us in metal armor in the next release, and we cannot close on our opponents as well so i think it is a fair trade off to be able to cast healing and sun without problem! To stay semi alive against magic casters.

14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

@Chris thank you for the slides! Often I like to pause to read them because it's easier for me to retain information visually if I read it myself rather than just hearing it. It's also nice to be able to refer back to later. You do an awesome job and we are lucky and privileged to have you doing things like this for the community.

Also, thank you for adding my Taunt tweaks from the hangout to the list of improvements. After watching this video I was glad to see you also have an appreciation for pull-based strategy. I can see the future of tanking already taking better shape. And the squishies bowing down to you. ;)

On another note you mentioned you guys were considering reviving the Draw Speed skill in the Focus tree maybe? Like the idea of that. Sort of missed being able to control draw speed and discard speed. What about calling it Fast Reflex?

Sara Dreygon, Logain and Wilfred like this.
  15. Logain

Logain Avatar

I am absolutely loving the idea/description of attunement you mentioned in the Postmortem Hangout, even more so since you mentioned negative effects on opposing branches. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    Since you stated you'd do more questions/videos, should we be posting questions here, or are you going to create a new thread (e.g. with some simple rules of X questions per poster, like voting as it used to be on the QA thread, no chatter/discussion moderating,...) for the sake of easier reading during the video?

Wilfred and Soulicide like this.
  16. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

@Chris

I've been doing quite a bit of testing in the Air tree recently and I have to say I'm a little concerned that skill progress at higher levels is too slow.

My Chain Lightning spell is at level 80 and it has been "Feeling" very slow to level, so I decided to see how long it would take to get it to level 81.

I started with approximately 65k XP in my Adventurer Pool and as I hit a gust-ball I could see that it was using .1% of the pool toward a successful cast of the spell. So as my pool decreased, so too did the amount of xp being used to level the skill. I cast 201 Chain lightning spells before going and raising my xp pool to 65k again. After casting another 100 chain lightning spells, (now 301 total) my skill has moved approximately 1/4 of the way to level 81.

I could therefore estimate that it might take me 12oo casts in order to reach level 81 in chain lightning, provided my available XP pool remains around the 65k mark. This would put the XP needed at around 80k in order to level my skill from 80 to 81. I can tell you that 1200 casts is an AWFUL LOT of casts, especially when only going from 80-81! The very small sample I made, took nearly an hour of time on a Gust-Ball to complete without any other spell distractions, interrupts, fizzles or anything else you would generally expect to encounter while levelling in the wilds.

Comparatively, Melee appear to get their skill gains simply from auto attack, which is a much easier and quicker system than waiting for a particular spell to pop. My suggestion would be to either lower the exp required to advance spell skills at the higher levels or increase the amount of XP used from your pool to level those spells. So as per my example, where a single successful cast was using 65xp, have it consume .3% of your XP pool or approx 195xp per successful cast when at a pool size of 65k.

Of course, if the goal was to make it incredibly tedious and a total grindfest - mission accomplished. However, I'm sure that isn't the plan. I couldn't see anyone wanting to take the time needed to level a spell to 100 and then being stuck with it when the de-levelling option becomes available because of the required time sink.

If you've got another plan I'd love to hear that too :)

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes. I've tried to push for this before:

KuBaTRiZeS and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

With the attunments to different schools of magic talked about yesterday i wonder.
    IF i get skilled/attuned with blades will it be easier to defend against blades?

majoria70 likes this.
  19. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I guess attunement is only related to the eight schools of magic, with affinity and opposition as per the magic sigil.

Not the physical disciplines.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good video, thanks.

Kinda saw it as a combat 101 discussion, but that was probably due to the questions and following along before. Looking forward to the 'where is it headed' vs 'how does it work today' stuff here. But that's for the post mortem.

I agree with the group here that feels skill differentiation is limited. I think the combos need to go to the skill trees to create more readily apparent differentiation and choices. Why should the best skills in the game be limited to dynamic users only?

Wilfred and padreadamo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.