1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat/Skills/Spells video chat!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

I'm in the same boat. It looks like we still have a number of releases in front of us. In the hangout, Starr was counting I believe up to R27?

2. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well if life had any real offensive capability I'd probably agree with you. But as they only get the one undead banishment, that I've used over and over to not much effect....other then a great agro draw. I can see them being allowed heavy armor
    I have a great deal of respect for those who choose healing. Especially in the stupid games that don't reward healing.
    Life and heavy armor are just fine.

Ravicus Domdred and blaquerogue like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

But its not about choosing life over other things, its about someone with plate armor and a sword, who already has advantages, adding to his existing advantages by being able to heal himself all the time -- and it will be mostly himself he's healing, not other players.

I have a lot of respect for players who choose to have the ability to heal others at the detriment of their own character. That's what makes healer noble.

How to make someone who only has life magic skills is a viable build is an interesting discussion, but I don't think overpowering other builds is a good solution to that. The traditional cleric archetype btw I think would include a lot of the surrounding magical schools, including some sun type spells and wind type spells.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yes, only for magic schools, all NINE. :) Also, raising one school one point drops the opposing school by a half point currently. We might tune that down in the future. You could theoretically get all schools up to 50+ by raising them all to 100.

The question I'm still struggling with is do we use the school for resisting or do we use the opposing school? So if I'm strong in death magic, does that make me better at resisting it or do we use life magic? I'm considering making it the higher of the two. We've got a few weeks still. We'll figure it out before live. :)

Also, people will be happy to know that armor tuning was done today. Also, absorption numbers that used to only exist on chest pieces are now spread out on the armor. Damage resistance is way down on plate, way up on cloth and leather. Plate and chain both get a good amount of damage avoidance, the stuff that turns hits into glancing blows. So plate doesn't absorb much more damage than leather but it makes more of those blows glance off and do 1/3rd damage.

I also started work on the subterfuge tree....

5. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

Good stuff dude. Looking forward to the attunement system. The "higher" of the two numbers would be more flexible at first I think.

Chris likes this.
  6. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

@Chris I know this is way off topic but I just thought about it and thought it wouldn't hurt to take a moment to just mention it..

What about a generic tree titled "Expanders." They would be generic glyphs that can be spellweaved with anything. For example, "Far Reaching" (Spellweave this glyph with any other glyph to increase the range of the base Spell). "Exposed Armor" (Spellweave this glyph with any other card to make it harder to resist as a spell, etc.)

... just thinking out loud for utility for dynamic deck.

-Padre

7. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I had an idea for expanding the functionality of glyphs but it would be displayed next to the glyph icon in the skill menu. Was thinking the customizable features of the spells would need to be discovered through side effects from casting spells using variable amounts of the required reagents. Some of these effects could be trainable similar to emotes and maybe even rare unique ones on an account level? These smaller sized looking boxes (customized effects) would be under each glyph when you mouse over it and there's a little backpack/pouch near each glyph where you can load reagents for each spell, that way it draws reagents from the pouch first without drawing from the rest of your supply of reagents. The pouch interface would let you cast the spell with variable reagents instead of casting the spell with x1 black pearl, x1 spider silk x1 sulfurous ash you might try casting it with x2 black pearl, x2 spider silk, 0 sulfurous ash, but there are chances of negative side effects. It's an idea for end-game content to keep players experimenting with the skill system but probably doesn't jive with the way the glyphs work.. shrugs. just brainstorming.

It adds a certain amount of complexity/depth and experimentation to the spell system to discover new high level spell effects for spells over 80 (master). There would need to be different classifications of the customized effects, so some of the effects would be simply asthetic, others would be changing the function of the spell.

example:

"Lightning"

customizable effects: (functional)
    Twin Bolt - lowers the damage of each bolt but creates 2 lightning bolts that fire simultaneously, increasing the average damage of the spell.

High Voltage - Increases maximum lightning damage by 25% So you're still in the low min/high max scenario but have a high crit potential.

Tesla's Spark - The lightning bolt travels wirelessly for most of the distance, then appears abruptly in front of the opponent as it strikes him.

customizable effects: (asthetic)

changes the color of the lightning bolt?
    creates a loud sound when the lightning bolt successfully stuns the target
    etc?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    padreadamo and majoria70 like this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

not that my opinion has any more weight than anyone elses here, i'd like to add my 2 cents....

i feel that if i am good at death magic, i should also be good at a natural innate defense against it for my saving throws.

if you choose the opposite tree for its defence, that will create too much of a struggle to be a master of all - and with the use-based skill system, it WILL be impossible to get anywhere near journeyman on anything, just so we can keep our defenses up enough.

with the odd armor system (cloth and leather are light armor), we don't need many more ways to make natural defenses more difficult.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have no idea what Chris is saying here. If anyone could help me understand I'd appreciate it. :)

My vote is for the school you're good at to make you more resistant to that same school. I think spells in the opposite school should be more of a counter weight. Like for example if you're good at death magic you'll also be resistant to death magic. But that should also make you WORSE in defending yourself from life magic. So if you're a dark and evil necromancer with 100 in every death spell, you're going to be impacted VERY LITTLE by someone casting death magic on you...might even be immune. But someone casting life magic on you...you'll feel that bad. It will be like you're undead and someone is casting banish undead on you.

I think this is the best way to do this, and it sounds like it would be really fun too.

Someone that is good at both death and life magic would kind of dull down the resistance to both, so they would feel it if someone used death or life magic, just not be the undead freak that a pure death mage would be. I hope that makes sense.

OMG I'm so happy I can't even tell you. I just listened to this part of the R22 Postmortem for the first time and all I can say is @DarkStarr please stay the heck out of the way! We NEED this. PLEASE!

Lord Baldrith, majoria70 and Wilfred like this.
  10. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I'm of the opinion that a master of death would be resistant to it and susceptible to life.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I really Like what Chris has proposed. I like that if you want to go down a path of death, that you take a hit to the life tree. Same with the other trees. It will make people choose and pick more, instead of being all powerful. Thank you @Chris

12. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

You are overstating this supposed advantage. I have used life extensively and it's healing is pathetic. As a melee'r as well there is more advantage to pure melee. Magic of any kind burns through focus like there's no tomorrow, regents are extremely expensive not to mention the waste as you have no control when they are burned.
    Skills in general need more branches and abilities and I don't ever see life being an offensive skill, but a good start would be expanding on it's affect on the undead. Maybe even some protective enchantments versus death and disease.

FrostII and Sara Dreygon like this.
  13. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Curious how it will work with Fire...since it has a fire resistance skill associated with it already - Fire Proof. So a high level fire mage would be resistant to fire because they're familiar with fire, but they would also have the fire proof skill in addition? So in this case you'd be getting a small resistance to fire as your skill goes up and also have fire resist from Fire Proof (not sure how high it scales) .. so a total of 45-50% fire resist?

Will the spell resistance negate the spell damage entirely or knock off a % of the damage?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I do not think there will be a penalty for gaining fire resistance if you are in the fire tree. Now if you took the water tree then you would lose resistance in water.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I agree with you, but I do think that they will balance this in the future!

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

@Chris So what about having more ranged attacks in life magic, so when running around as a healer i can also attack at a distance?
    I would suggest just look at cleric spells in the old D&D stuff and get some ideas there. I would use all healing in my build which would make me basically a Support character that can take a lot of damage. (wearing plate or chain)

heres a reference to look at and maybe come up with some ideas to make healers more viable. also some references for others...(according to the book there are pallys somewhere)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericSpells.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/paladinSpells.htm

Necromancer spells and skills (for Ravicus! :))

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Necromancer_(3.5e_Class)

Archer skills for Chatele

Archer Feats [1st / 2nd / 4th / 6th / 8th level] The archer strives to increase her skill and prowess with the bow. At 1st level and every even numbered level, the archer can select a feat from the following: Deadeye Shot, Far Shot, Improved Critical (Any bow), Improved mounted archery, Improved Precise Shot, Improved rapid shot, Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, Mounted Archery, Penetrating Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Power Critical, Ranged disarm, Ranged pin, Range sunder, Ranged Trip, Ranged Weapon Mastery, Rapid Shot, Sharp-Shooting, Shot on the Run, Weapon Focus (Any bow), Greater Weapon Focus (Any bow), Weapon Specialization (Any bow), or Greater Weapon Specialization (Any bow).

Defensive Shot: Once per round the archer may spend a swift action to grant herself a +4 dodge bonus versus attacks of opportunity drawn from firing a bow within a threatened square. This bonus last until the beginning of her next turn.

Special Archery Ability [10th/12th/14th16th/18th/20th level] The archer learns unusual maneuvers with the bow and arrow, such as ricocheting arrows off walls or peppering her enemies with a barrage of arrows. At 11th level and every two levels thereafter, she may select one of the following special abilities; unless otherwise noted, each special ability can be selected only once:

Archery: The archer can select an additional feat from the Archery class feature. Archery can be taken multiple times.

Barrage: (Rapid Shot, and Manyshot) This ability can be used once per day as a full round action to lay fire to an area. Barrage effects a designated 60ft cone, allowing the archer to make one attack against each creature within the target area at her highest BAB -2. This ability can be taken multiple times to increase the number of daily uses.

I didnt forget the Mages!

http://5edndwiki.wikidot.com/spell-list-wizard

padreadamo and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I agree with Drocis... makes the most sense and it would be fun to see a fire mage face off against a water mage.

Why a fire mage would be weak to fire defies logic... they can already start themselves of fire no problem.

Solazur likes this.
  18. drahn

drahn Avatar

Great video and lots of things covered! Thanks. Couple things I didnt even know existed and I feel like I have been tracking a lot so THANKS for covering in such detail.

19. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

As an user of most low level spells from most schools, the attunement idea is a direct nerf of my playstyle.

Unfortunately (for me), it makes a lot sense, and I must applaud at it.

So I will adapt, knowing fully that...

YOU CAN'T NERF ME!!! :p

Logain and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Also, you don't have to attune to anything. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.