Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat system - deck based combat really bad idea

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by Duke Crachazz, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes MMO combat is the way it is because players are used to it, have mastered it and don't want to try anything new out of fear for not being as effective anymore.

MMORPGs like TERA or Age of Conan show that an active combat system can work well in an MMO.

AdamZax and Lord Soliwilos like this.
  2. Luznad

Luznad Avatar

I read something about a roleplayaspect of a Battle... If you want to roleplay a Battle... Feel free to do that...
    But i thinks its wrong to "pase" Combat for having enoth Time to roleplay =Typing things in "*"

And Most Important... When i play a Cardgame, i play Magic or hearthstone... Or another Cardgame who is Designed as Cardgame... (Ok the final Fantasy cardgame where cool.. And that are ingame... BUT.. That does Not count. ;))

Lord Soliwilos and crachazz like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Roleplaying a battle is a figure of speech lol... people react how their character would react and not now their personality reacts.

If he misses and fails to block a big hit the character would be impaired, he would suffer and thus probably want to run away, at least for an instant...

the personality however, would continue to mash buttons as that huge axe never landed on his head... you can roleplay to the degree you like and it will always be appreciated by some who happen to be the best people to hang with.

About the wheel, it's so 4500 BC... we have jets and helicopters now. Way to make me feel like a failed vacuum salesman...

Lord Soliwilos likes this.
  4. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I was really intrigued by the card combat system when first mentioned and enjoyed it back R8 but the more I'm using it the more "meh" I am about the whole thing. It just feels very.... "artificial".

Personally I'd like to see something a bit more like TESO in having a primary attack button and a defense button where your main attacks would come from. Then perhaps have a smaller deck of special effects (so no basic attacks like Thurst or non-combat spells like Light) that would cycle through. Get rid off all the basic attacks from the deck and make picking those the "special events" in the combat.

Realistically though it's probably too late for any huge changes to the system. I just hope they come up with a change in the UI to make it so you aren't looking down at your bar all the time. Maybe just a smaller, 70% translucent bar near the center of the screen instead?

5. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

No, what I mean is: Build something and show that as a proof, don't run around and tell tall tales.
    If you want people believe you then you should work on it yourself and then present the results.

Joviex likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I appreciate that advice, however nothing makes me want people to beleive me, people do run around and tell tales ; this one happens to be uncomfortable because people have wild imaginations and think I'm in it for tooting my own horn. I however consider myself (since the most vocal proponent has stepped down) a whistleblower ; and thus entirely integrate the state of being I purport.

But the truth is I will disapear and not ask for anything, because I was sent to deliver this message and thats all, and its not only an intelligible message : it carries emotions and also holographic tought forms from the most evolved beings in the galaxy. If you think they are comfortable to me and that I am not completely annoyed trying to figure them out then think again.

They are so specific about it... at least now I can't blame myself into psychosis telling myself : oh that must be my darker side, my alter ego at work here trying to win some sympathy, or what since most people are so ready to call me a complete lie without even analysing anything ? That is the complete lie, telling me to let go off a past which is much more powerful than anything we call "freedom" in the current new world. A reality I still see in some people, I'm generally joyful about my SotA experience and have no plans even to try another game. I don't stalk anyone, nor demand anything.

Usually mind you, someone has come and talked to me way before I get into this ridiculous fail state where everyone start to get annoyed or plain hate me (you'd be surprised) because I am asked to serve in some manner, as the real soul I always was and perfectly so.

Thats what I am and no matter of time or even death is going to change that !

However here I was let go on my classical trainwreck course, and rest assured acknowledgement was given ; if I must be the example not to follow then so be it I'm just another sick kid who needs comforting. Maybe you will think twice about it, maybe you won't... thats way beyond my grasp anyways putting remorse for any reason into anyone, especially now, especially here in this internet age where things are taken lightly to say the least.

instead go where there is no path... pun intended, message delivered... no hard feelings

valar dohaeris

Arômëil maschâan mänaywenizxt

7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Tell Elvis he's still the KING!

Joviex likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

He's still your King ?

hehehe

I had this dream when I was young that if I did enough bug reports and work for Origin, that I could get crowned a simple knight by Lord Brittish, I was very humble about it lol, waited until release.

thousands of bug reports later, I realised they didn't even know who made the reports and frankly didn't care which led to a group of disgruntled players founding skunkworks which was the beginning of the end for UO as hacks were being shared on an underground private site...

I didn't join them however, I took the streets and waited to catch SOMEONE, that would lead me to my king... noone ever came...

The event where he got killed is pretty much all we saw of Lord Brittish, what a king you will say, not even taking a few loyal subjects in for short consultations...

Well I ended up begging, beleive it or not, then when the food was too scarce I had to resort to thieving to even get enough to get going with a mage or warrior.

The loyal knight, begging on the street, with thousands of bug reports (not lil glitches mind you) under his belt.

At first when we kickstarted this King Gariott said alot of things that pleased me ; daring things that honored the great qualities of Ultima we appreciated. But as time goes by I feel he was petitioned into another direction... I feel like a lone knight again, in fact maybe I'm just a dog :p

bwaha, and you still member of Team British Sir_Hemlock ? Have you been acknowledged, cause some of the suggestions you posted were priceless and you were very patient in presenting them... for a while... until now I guess... so Elvis is your king ? :)

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Things you consider as what makes "ultima" could very well be different then others believe. Personally I don't see much of Ultima in ultima online....yes they had virtues, but the virtue wheel? I mean cmon. The lore was butchered in ultima online as well...I felt like it just didn't fit the world or at least how I felt when I played all the older games including underworld. Also, people think PVP is a major part of ultima history and I just don't.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

No it wasn't pvp... it was players towns forming with people recalling at the center of town to make sure they weren't ambushed, it was all that came with PvP but not pvp really cause it needed some love.

Instead of love it got age of shadows. I know way too much even about the internal mechanics of the game at each stage I could fill pages and pages but thats not the goal. The goal is me being integral and delivering the message, you were not the intended recipient Rune, even tho I've grown fond of you :)

You are right about tons of things not fitting the world, there was some people who directed some aspects of UO whom were genius, some only presented themselves to me anonymously so I can't even tell who ; but I can say that King Gariott has no excuse to remember such genius, and I wasn't so genius at that time but I know how to code Java and C++ at age 14, I already had fiddled with nintendo emulators and was creating my own zelda sequel, but then I started to flirt with 3-d.

Anyways the point is integrity and virtue ; because in my case remaining silent would be a galactic crime. Sometimes and you all agree, someone must draw a line and blow a whistle. I still have the same "voice" than I did when I was 14, thats how I write on the forums without thinking twice about what I'm writing.

Thats what made me get noticed in the first place and got me to the glory I am, King Gariott would probably tell me that perseverance is also a virtue. I am unsure you all understand the nature of timetravelling within my experience and all because sometimes my english is not such in a good syntax state (like obviously right now) and I'm thinking about dozen concepts at once.

Thus I became the greatest mage ever to live in ANY world of relevance. Thats what we're face with Rune... its not that Ultima Online could have been "better" it had every plan to get better but then Minax chained it down and now even rules Feluca with a 3/4 faction advantage (not that you care lol) she has now a new boyfriend who is none other than Anon Dak, one of the greatest roleplayers ever on UO Atlantic (where most *official* events happened and where everyone who was serious about roleplaying the story had a character there).

There is no "luck" at work here, I've roleplayed countless times with the OES and their great and funny roleplaying of undead and necromancers, I know Anon very well and in fact I'm pretty surprised they have not chimed on my parade yet because they used to be jealous of my *official* involvement with the seers.

Sadly none of this could complete, none of the changes to make UO more like ultima could change, cause EA fired everyone and sold the game to RMT interests... there were prolly a few high fives given inside EA HQ that night, heh... anyways I forgave them or we wouldn't be speaking right now.

The most powerful mage of all times... scary isn't it, only I never could take anyone seriously because the program had incredibly dumb flaws and the server even worse, repeating code, double and triple validation indentations, solution to packet loss was actually sending every tidbit of info once again... the roleplay story had also flaws that didn't fit with Ultima and we had lots of work to do yet pretty much inside and outside the "story active" dev team was busy selling gold and items and there was a sales boom and it went fast and god they didn't have time to work anymore this was already too much !!!!

UFF. Gimme a break ?

I was 14 years old and I liked repeating myself and be perseverant about things that seemed essential for the survival of anything remotely connected with Ultima.

I had only played ultima 4 and 7 during that time but god I loved those games and wanted to play them more to discover all the spiritual and rich content it had. When you look at the dynamism of Origin back then and you look at portalarium now you realise that they are in a totally parallel course, you cannot really compare them but you have no excuse to ignore what the other is doing, well was doing and well will be doing.

I listened to the videos attentively, and I realised that neigher King Gariott nor King Darkstarr nor anyone in portalarium has even any faint idea about the genius of some programmers within UO.

How can you dismiss Xorinite sublime AI ? how can you dismiss the graceful fixes to bugs that are not bugs but FLAWS into your game ? How do you dismiss the genius like that ?

I suspect there were many geniuses, I hear some people mention Raph Koster here and there, and other names too... but there was something DEEP going on.

In fact its sad to say but I have the strong impression that even as it was transpiring, King Gariott and King DarkStarr weren't even aware the genius was going on. I feel that they were only involved with high level decisions and when a fix appeared they didn't try to understand why or how.

That will give us a fine medieval sims and I'm happy I pledged and I love the artists and all, but...

*chuckles*

11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Tell that to all the air marshals carpet bombing the middle east right now.

Pushing a button is the height of tactical achievement. Zero loss, 100% implementation strategy.

But let's put it in a more "SOTA" context.

Trying to make a "heat of battle" via random selection is simply ridiculous. The randomness of battle is not if I can pull out the grenade/fireball/healing potion I have, the randomness of battle is not being able to do that action because the guy in front of me just made a move that forced me into a position not to be able to do that action.

Simulating "false" moves by my opponent so as to mimic that real time random effect of move-countermove just feels lame -- like punishment, because we don't get to see said countermoves -- it is simply one gigantic RNGod hand at work.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Lord Soliwilos like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

I'll throw this out there: what if you could see the opponent's chosen move as a glyph above your hotbar?

Remove your cooldowns so you can use skills immediately, but add a cooldown to their move that you can counter before it expires and takes effect.

13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I remain a fan of Garriott's older games Uiv, Uv, Uvi, Uvii and Uviii. And I think he is really a genuine and talented person who has become swept up in some unfortunate design choices on this game.

I think SotA's vision and its direction has drifted to places I am unwilling to go.

lol, yes, the Elvis is still the king.

Regards,

14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

but how does that prevent the random selection of your skills?

seeing their move would be great, except then I would need access to the skills I can use to present a possible counter move, not a random set of skills that may not apply at all.

If I don't have a counter move skill is one thing, that is the strategy of my deck build and my character.

if I do have counter moves, why am I still limited by the RNGods?

Lord Soliwilos likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

You're right, the random deal would still be problematic but at least seeing their move with a cooldown to respond is one step to mitigate. Perhaps we need a split deck/bar for move/countermove? That mitigates some randomness since you're guarenteed a set of countermoves in that bar's deal but yes, it's still random.

Joviex likes this.
  16. OverLord

OverLord Avatar

I like the deck combat system but it feels like there is one step too many involved, the merging of cards. If two cards make a combo then a player should use one card as a setup with normal damage and then use the second card to get the combo damage. Cards not used in the right order would thus not grant combo damage.

Where the system loses some luster for me is in the merging mechanic, it doesn't need to be there for the deck system combos to work.

Robert_Reise likes this.
  17. Shin

Shin Avatar

This.

18. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Someone explain to me how:
    (Random hotbar of few skills) or (locked hotbar of few skills) is more interesting than (unrestrained freedom to use learned skills - not being limited by what you can place on hotbar)?

19. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

deck building is great for pve ....

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Totally easy.

You forgot to add that the random/locked hotbar is designed by RG and that there is a rabid fanbase of pledgers that can't know any failure and will accept any design regardless of it possibly being a poor design.

Cheers.

crachazz and Sir_Hemlock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.