Combat system / newbie feedback about it

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by LoneWerewolf, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

For me the deck system, and that i can build my deck from ANY skills is the best part of this game. Note i said ANY not ALL, a deck with all skills is not going to get very far at all.

I very much enjoy playing and experimenting with different decks and equipment. I have to admit it took me a while to get to grips with this combat system. But i think it is a great system, hopefully more combos are added in the future.

So the only down fall is it means players (not character) "skills" are not as transferable from other fantasy MMOs. I consider this a good thing. This is hindered that the game is in alpha, therefore the resources for learning how to play are still limited, and even if you find something you are never sure if it is still up to date and correct. Some people don't like this, some people want the same archetypes and ways to plays as there last MMO, just new settings, lore, and quests etc. I personally think that lacks the depth that this system has and the freedom it gives.

For me SOTA combat is more like Eve online (that i played for over a decade). In Eve, as much skill was required in fitting the correct equipment to your ship as in the actual fight itself. It is the same in this game, if you don't experiment and optimise your deck you are going to have a hard time as you progress. In fact I have ended up making different equipment and deck builds for different situations. This adds variety, theory crafting, and experimentation/testing to the game for different builds in different situations/locations/enemies.

Regards
    Spungwa

2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I quite like the combat system. It DOES make people stare more at their combat bars, however. This is no big deal to me because as a healer all I do is stare at health bars anyway (like in every mmo i've ever healed in). However, I can see how that might be frustrating to other players.

I, personally, have a huge issue with Avatars leveling all skills in the game. It's an economic murderer (can't really sell what everyone else can make) and completely removes any kind of player inter-dependency.

Stundorn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

That horse is really out of the barn i guess. I discussed and argued about meaningfull groupplay, economy and dependencies for month. I then tried to adapt and in the first time i lost identification with my Seidr or Viking Wizard Type of a Mage who i suggested use mainly Water and Air only with some Moon and Life skills.
    The Sea, Storms, Flash, Mani the Good of the Moon, a Seer (celestial events) and a Healer, but you sure also could say its more about Draugr / Undead, Earth and Sun and do it more the Druid Style or whatever.
    But imho the ship has sailed. and it wont happen. I adapted to some degree now, skilled some sword, fire magic (Loki will trick me at Ragnarok :p) and i'm also using Posion now.
    I doubt they will ever have a real MMO experience other than socializing.
    People do and will solo everything.
    There can hardly be a real economy without restrictions. Sure time is a limiting factor, but in some years - if the game survives - even the most casuals are able to do all the content/crafting more or less. And if they create new Landmasses in Ep2, if it will ever be, than its the same thing like an item or whatever spirale. See who visit a T2 or T3 Scene if he can manage T5 and higher?
    With new Land and T6-10 who will go to kill a Boss in Novia (the continent we are playing on) if its easy and grant you nothing special anymore.
    Thats because the game initially was a SP Game, and you can see that the most in the Skillsystem imho.
    The People who will play SotA for some years are the people who play solo and the MP aspect is only Socializing at Dance or charity parties (nothing agasint that).
    Grouping is counterproductive as hell, you get less XP, less loot and my experience in all groups was, i was totally worthless.
    I needn't heal anyone, because they can heal themself, i couldnt do any damage, because i could only do magic damage.
    Ok a healer is maybe good to have, i initially startet as a Healer too, but quickly recognized i wasn't needed.
    And if you want to be not only the healer and need somewhat be self sustainable you need to skill more than only Life Skills.
    You US and maybe some other EU players are lucky, you have some players around, group, socialize, even RP together.
    For germanspeaking it's all divided, inactive and at least groupplay wasn't fun to me until.
    I died way more often, people dont want to RP before, after or even while adventuring, i got less xp, i got less loot and i mostly feeled totally wothless or if i went with some new players what are lower than me, i felt i destroyed the challenge for them, like other higher level players before did to me, because i one shot everything in the Outskirts.
    Not intended, just because of this wide gap between players - another topic i argued many month for.
    In 3 days they announce a release date. The game will be like it is today, the playerbase will maybe increase for a short time, but only very few will remain i guess. But does that matter? For future episodes maybe. I hardly doubt anybody will back EP2, the players here mostly have already backed 5 episodes.
    More Shitstorms to come, if they cannot do it.

I play further, sometimes i have fun, i play solo, i am no longer interested in groups or having my guild grow, except i would find likeminded, germanspeaking roleplayers, but these sort of players who stay iC all day and even while PvE i search for 15 years now, they arent existent, i'm an alien. And to be honest it's only about grinding scenes and spawns what is hard to wrap in RP context.
    The so called german Roleplayers from a specific City where i'm banned invited only non-Roleplayers to just fill the city, they annunced big projects and do not play the game or partake.
    Nobody plays and if some play they play solo and grind, because that is what the game is mainly about - play the skillsystem, grind, min max at best solo and sometime do socializing parties to show what you have accomplished.
    And i do the same from time to time, because the skillsystem from this PoV is totally Anti RP, anti groupllay with dependecies within characters.

But i actually have fun playing and experimenting with the skillsystem.
    In the beginning in experienced many things with my 4 schools and after some weeks i stucked and came to the forum, where the drama began :p

edited: because of many mistakes and to hastily written.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.