Combat system question

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Neofit, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neofit

Neofit Avatar

Hi,

I've played a bit of SOTA some time after release. One things I couldn't get used to is the combat system, with combat icons appearing randomly, so I had to stop looking at the fight itself and focus exclusively on the hotkey bar. Or, IIRC, have them fixed, but with a greatly reduced efficiency, which was not acceptable either.

Has anything changed in this regard?

Thanks.

Elgarion likes this.
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The combat system is as complex as you'd like to make it. You can go with a simple approach which you'll see in other MMO's... simply lock 10 skills to your combat bar per deck, and they'll be locked/static like other games. Or you can use a varying number of unlocked slots in your deck to offer the availability of more than 10 skills. I typically have 7, 8 or 9 buttons locked per deck, depending upon the situation (others will have other strategies mind you), and I treat the unlocked ones as either my spam button (only 1 unlocked, many skills cycling in) or an area on my bar for stacking skills (3 unlocked, and from those I can combine them for other effects). But ultimately, the deck and therefore your combat bar are highly configurable.

Here are some tutorial videos to help you understand the basics. They will not teach you strategy, but they'll teach you the basic mechanics of the combat bar and deck system.

Locked Combat Bar Tutorial

Unlocked Combat Bar Tutorial

Hybrid Combat Bar Tutorial

Combos Tutorial

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

majoria70 and Elgarion like this.
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

majoria70 and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar