Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat system r8 -- A Blast!

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm a PvP centric player. I had ZERO problems with the deck system. In fact I felt more effective in combat than with a bunch of icons with cool downs.

I build my characters with PvP in mind first.

So, If you are having a problem of cards coming up slow I think you need to put more skill points in the focus skill tree. I've talked to some old Siege Perilous people and they all seem to think SotA's PvP system is already better than most games out there.

So you are in a minority if you don't like this system. It's fine you have a difference in opinion, but don't speak on behalf of "PVPers" I don't know you, but I do know the other guys, and they are veterans. So am I. I was quite good in UO PvP. I don't recall being ranked, but I sure as hell felt like I could take anybody on in a fight. I was afraid of nobody. So from one expeirenced Vet to another, I say we have a difference in opinion.

I give this system an A. It has the potential of being my all time favorite PvP as well.

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

All of the Order of Vengeance players adapted to the deck system and like it more than the standard system... the majority of players like the deck system for PvP... I talked with over 100 people and I made sure to ask many of them how they thought combat and pvp went this release... they loved it and all but one said they're using deck combat... one of them said they hated decks and used static locked bar system.

I'm glad they gave us both options, just like with inventory... keeping both camps happy just improves the # of people this game can attract... what other game developer is doing that?!

3. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Accidental is one thing, I have done it myself a few times. But it very clear when someone keeps doing it intentionally. Not sure about a pop-up menu, that could bog the fight down because now you have to deal with an annoying pop-up in your face.

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think in the future most combat will take place deeper in a hex instead of on the edges. Reasons being Control points not near an edge and gathering resources wont be at the edges.. the big reasons people will participate in pvp.

I pretty much only did pvp this release, very little NPC fighting. I only had 1 person zone out on me, and it was on Wed during the Dev+ early access. I think they weren't ready to fight yet.

5. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

I'm not going to mention names, but it is clear as day when your fighting an experienced player or not. And when that person is clearly exiting and re-entering because they just can't seem to get an upper hand, is not fairly accepting his/her death. It seems like poor sportsmanship to me. It's just pvp. Yes, your good at it. Accept the fact that you lost professionally, fair-and-square. You can't win all the time. I've died many of times, both fair and unfair, but never ran out of the zone if the going got tough. Unless it was night time and I didn't know where I was going.

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Hehe.. it would seem the load times would take longer than a respawn? Some people are silly about those things I guess.

I wonder what the rational was in their mind? Haha, I never died in pvp! (little voice in the back of their mind says, but you ran away like a frightened child)

VonXakk likes this.
  7. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I believe what bourbin is trying to say is that this system takes the 'p' out of the pvp. Most pvpers, myself included, we want control over our own destiny, if someone defeats me, I want it to be because they were better than me in what ever way that allowed them to defeat me, being defeated simply because I failed to get a 'good' 'draw' is just lame and unacceptible to those who seek true competition.

you can not have the thrill of victory without the fear of agony of defeat......

AdamZax and VonXakk like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Funny, I probably killed more than 50 people, and was killed many times (usually by more than one person). I never once died because my cards didn't come up. In fact I always seemed to have the card I needed.

The only time I had an issue with that was fighting in the Bear Tavern Tournament, where we could not enter combat mode before the start of the fight. However tournaments with rules are not the same as real PvP (and there are no walls when you aren't in an arena).

I never had a problem with not having the right cards. If you aren't getting your cards to show up then you need to make a better deck, and put points in the focus skill tree.

I use to think like you do, but I tested this system, and found out that if you build the deck right, and have enough slots open, then you ALWAYS have the cards you need, and very likely more than one of the card you need. I never lost because of luck one time!

Gaelis, Kaisa and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

I would rate this release as an "A" as well. I used the polearm exclusively and tried out light to heavy armor with the increased points and cloth with the lowed number we had in the beginning. I was really impressed how different fighting felt with different setups and that I never felt disadvantaged with any of them. So much was going on I didn't even have time to try out Dallas mode...

Quite impressive what Portalarium managed to pull out of the hat with this release!

10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

well, then they need to open up the game for longer periods of time for the pvp, because my experience was pretty darn poor, poor enough for me to put it away for the day, unfortunately when i came back to it it was messed up again .......... as is it feels like I'm just left out in the cold again, doesn't leave much desire for release 9.

11. Retro

Retro Avatar

Love it, it adds just enough randomness to supplement your overall strategy/tactics making every fight unique even when you are using the same skills.

Focus use should remain high for locked cards (imho), I only used deck mode, no locked cards, it was fun...

Quote:
    "Deck mode for Life!" ~ Lum circa last week sometime

12. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

I guess I'm just in a chatty mood right now but another memorable experience was with these three grouped-up female characters, all playing Fire Mages, all had Fire Elementals. Talk about a gang-banging blood bath! All of them Rooting me and Fire Balling me to nothingness. I never had a chance. That's one of those moments that are only funny after the fact. Good times. :)

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

No, I don't want macros like in Archeage. It just turns into keyboard spamming.

This is a good compromise.

abovenyquist, Gaelis, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

I kinda want to go back in there right now lol :)

Can't believe they didn't extend it a day :(

Khloec, Kaisa, VonXakk and 1 other person like this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

They are busy at work testing new stuff. I wish they had their own internal server for their own testing needs. lol Servers cost money though.

EDIT: They probably do have their own smaller internal server for testing, but who knows why they might need to close the sessions. On thing's for sure they should have a few damn good drinks after work today, because they earned it. All drinks are on Lord British.

Just like winning a football game, they should enjoy the victory for a day, and the next day get back to focusing on the next task like it is another opponent.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  16. Khloec

Khloec Avatar

Yes you cant do everything you want to do when you want to. But generally what i wanted to use was there for me within my bar. I did have the cards rotating as quickly as possible,which i found very useful. At times when you have a bad hand you have to make choices on whats available. It makes for a really interesting combat, especially in pvp. There were only a few times i was begging a heal to come up, but the joy i got when i got 3 of them in a row and the same for when i needed damage, suddenly i had a great combination in my bar to use. At times i didn't get what i needed, i played my best hand. Keeping my distance and if i was a bit low on health, hiding behind trees and breaking their LOS as best i could and using that time to heal up a little till the cards i wanted came up, which was never long. Every fight will be different, you can fight the same person with even the same deck as you and whoever is the more skilled in playing their deck and the combat location will mostly prevail. But there's always the chance for the best to lose, and the underdog to occasionally win. It will be a bit addictive :)

17. Espada

Espada Avatar

You think so? Interesting...

I think quite the opposite. Why? Because besides the lucky rolls, you have to adapt, almost instantly to what skill comes to hand when available while watching what the other guy is doing. As far as skill goes, I think a refined version of this system is more challenging to everyone, including pro pvpers and casual pvpers alike. Why? Because of the random factor, yet another variable that you have to take into consideration and may not like because it is not part of our "habit". If one is a good pvper, and not just a memory mashing keys robot (besides coordination, timing and all the good stuff that comes from heavy exposure to high level pvp) this is another variable to deal with that few will truly master (if any.. How can you master randomness? Beyond me.. But experience will still teach the best decision to make and you will be rewarded by it) but also gives room and a chance (levels the ground) for those who are not as serious. In other words, the random factor will be a great balancing tool all on its own. You better make the best use of a skill when available or wait to not spend focus and risk it by waiting for a better skill.. Yet, that decision alone may be your bane.. It is a deeper system, in its own essence, than the current available mode.

To me, this system is a welcome change to the mold that you and I are used to when participating in top ranking matches.. Yes, being there too.. And being very successful at high lvl competition but it has gotten so old over time. This system is just being implemented and it is a very welcome refreshment to the old ways. Remember, just because you are good at something that has been the mold for the last 15 years, doesn't mean that it is only for pro pvpers or that it should define the way "pros" should play.. It has been almost the only system available (besides FPS, etc of course..).. Obviously, there is nothing else compare it to. If the level of challenge and learning curve is what you speak of as far as skills go, I have to say that this system, when refined, will be more challenging than the system you speak of. Those who consider themselves that good, should give it a try and see if their skills can hold up to their ego.

What is most important is that one has fun.. If thats not the case, no system will be good for one... After all, thats why we play games to begin with right? Fun.. Yeah.. We sometimes forget the basics..

Just my two cents.

Rampage202, Grimnar, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  18. Retro

Retro Avatar

There was another 3 man team consisting of Pumkinhead, Minoc and one other guy, forget his name maybe Shadow something that were tearing ish up on PVP island.

I called them the "Underwear Bros." two of them were wearing nothing but underwear, lol so funny.

Pumkinhead was using life drain, healing, root, fire eley and a bow, he was support
    Shadow guy, was using life drain, healing, root, fire eley and a Vanduul Polearm (also in in nothing but briefs)
    Minoc, this guy was on point and the "the closer" leather armor and a NASTY double bladed axe...

This team kicked arse...

VonXakk likes this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

The other thing we need is a short range random direction "blink" that you can cast even when stunned to get you out of constant stun situations. Would really open the game up and give tanks and casters alike some more space

majoria70, Retro and Espada like this.
  20. Espada

Espada Avatar

I like pumpking escobar. He was pretty good with that healer setup he had. Tons of fun pumpking! See you next release man! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.