Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat to easy

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Wolfers, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfers

Wolfers Avatar

Now the combat is to much easy.

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

what are you fighting and where?

3. Wolfers

Wolfers Avatar

In this moment I fighting with all enemy of deep ravenswood but is more to easy that build 41.

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Using the new heat system to spam a high damage attack?

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

My playtesting with it is yes, it makes combat a bit easier but at the cost of more down time between fights. Only other thing that made stuff easier was the change to lower health for all players and creatures.

6. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I like the heat system, that on a intense fights you have to use restraint to conserve your focus costs. it adds a little strategy to combat encounters and look forward to seeing how this will come into play against Super bosses!

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

This isn't the best price to pay, I played around with it a bit last night and the drastically increased focus cost when I tried using it with skills that are part of my DPS made me turn it off after a only a few fights. It seems fine for my healing and escape skills, but it feels more like those skills should have variable costs instead of needing this heat system.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Speak for yourself. I'm having a MUCH harder time. Mages are doing a LOT more damage and just as I'm about to kill one they teleport somewhere out of sight, and thanks to the new AI I'm getting swarmed frequently. My miner's been chased out of spectral probably more than half a dozen times in an hour and he's 65! Instead of averaging 1 or 2 mobs a fight it's now 3-5.

9. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I feel that combat difficulty is just about right for me. I seem to be doing more consistent damage but I'm also getting hit harder and more often. I've had way more close calls (almost dying) fighting the same mobs this release as I did last release. It has been much more fun and exciting IMO.

10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Agreed. Combat is clearly more difficult for me and my friends concur. Not really liking the increase in difficulty.

zyxe likes this.
  11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Combat against mages is vastly different than before. I think it's a problem because we've got BOTH more mobs + these new BAMF mages wrecking us. More mobs would have been manageable with a little kiting, hiding, and ingenuity. Harder mages would have been countered in mostly the same way. Now that we've got both at the same time it's making things quite challenging when you can't just walk up and destroy that mage in seconds. You basically have to abuse the heat system right now to burn a mage down before he's got any chance to actually do anything.

I have to say though I REALLY enjoy the variety of stuff a mage can do, except endlessly teleport, that one's dumb =P. Moving forward I think this is a MUCH better avenue to pursue, but equally more difficult on the dev side to properly balance out. All in all I am willing to suffer a little right now if they can make this ultimately really cool combat feature work.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think overall I approve of the changes BUT.. I think also it means that many of the spawns in areas will need to be rebalanced...

uhop, Sarek and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  13. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Edit: Mac2 makes a case that if you can kill someone with 5 earth arrows in a row then a locked slot with heat is the highest burst in game atm. This is assuming you have full gear built around earth arrow. If that's possible after the r42 nerf to earth arrow damage then in a pvp setting if the guy dies in 5 arrows he's right.

This style setup still out bursts the new locked heat system and has better focus management. So I hope people stop worrying about locked heat skill spam. These are not ideal skills, just an example of a setup built around minimum glyphs and 1 unlocked slot. This damage spam has been in the game for a long time and out bursts the new heat system for less focus.

Unlocked
    Slot 1) Earthquake x5, Ground Pound x5, Death Field x4

Slot 2) Ring of Fire
    Slot 3) Immolation
    Slot 4) Death Shield
    Slot 5) Shield of Ice
    Slot 6) Defensive Stance
    Slot 7) Blink
    Slot 8) Ice Field
    Slot 9) Dash
    Slot 10) Chaotic Feedback

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Most of my decks are build like that one, one dynamic spot and 9 locked, I call them the easy button deck. I do have a question though, why do you have 3 shield spells in it, immolation, death shield, shield of ice cannot stack together. I can kinda see why as different situations could get advantage from certain shield being used, but you can switch locked skills on the fly.

15. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

It's just copy/pasted from a july 2016 post I made, back when they could stack. Even so that wasn't what I was running at the time just an example for a new player asking about decks a year ago.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ahh, ok gotcha. Ya, it was pretty awesome when they could all stack. It had made me diversify by making them unstackable.

17. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Yeah I think it's better for the game to force a choice on those, plus it felt like all I did was spam 1 and watch buff timers, not that I don't still do that. Honestly I'd be happiest if they toned down regular locked skill damage and jacked up the power of stacking and combos, but that whole appealing to both styles thing =(

Mac2 likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, I did not disagree with making the shield spells not stack, I just adapted and moved on. For the most part, I find stacking a waste of time. There are only a few skills I find worth stacking, ring of fire, rapid fire being the main 2. But things like earthquake or basically any burst dps, you would do more dps cast all 5 separately , then you would 5 stacking them for one cast. You do save on focus for that one cast, but then you have to consider the enemy was there for longer, causing you to take more damage, might need to spend the focus saved on healing of buffs. The armor durability lost from the enemy being around longer. If you 5 stack buffs, that can be helpful, but there are not many things in the game that I need to do that for, and it takes some time to get those buffs all stacked up.

Thwip and devourerofmemes like this.
  19. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Yep I completely agree and it's what drives me nuts, I was so stoked for stacking and combos since it was so different from other games mechanics and then that big let down when the effort to use it isn't rewarded with more powerful skills (for the most part). The fact Chris is tweaking heavily lately gives me some hope though, instant deck swapping frees up a lot of space for more skill combos, I've been using juxtapose now for the debuff combos on my alt deck which has been nice, as well as meteor shower since it's long enough duration I don't need to swap cast too often. If stacking & combo power was increased and out of combat regen was jacked up to increase the pull pacing, I'd be pretty damn happy.

Thwip and Mac2 like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I find using the dragon stew and a surprise food, combined with a 1.5 combat focus regen blessing and the harp of invigoration can keep my focus good.

devourerofmemes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.