Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combining Glyphs with 'R'

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Miracle Dragon, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

When I'm in combat, what slows me down the most is when a combine attempt fails.

If I see two glyphs to combine, say 1 & 2, I rush to hit 'R','2','1'..

The problem arises when Glyph 1 slips away just as I hit '1'. The combine fails, and I'm stuck with a red box around a glyph that can't combine to anything. Meanwhile, I can't click on ANY glyphs to activate them until I hit 'R' again.

That extra keystroke that only occurs when a planned combine fails interrupts the flow of combat every time.

I would much rather be sent out of 'combine mode' after that second key stroke, no matter whether it was successful or not. I should be able to hit 'R','1','#' and be back out of 'combine mode' and continuing the fight, no matter what that number was - it could even be 'R','1','1' (an obvious fail) - the point is it should matter whether the combine was successful or not.

This one change would make combining glyphs so much less painful.

2. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I would rather like to see modifier key. So as long as you hold 'R' (or Ctrl or whatever the key would be) you can combine glyphs to the slot you pressed first. I think that current implementation is bad for stacking, it works for combos, but if you have to press R,1,2,R,1,3,R,1,4,R,1,5 to stack glyph to 5 of its power it is way too many clicks. I would prefer to hold R and then click 1,2,3,4,5. I would also like to be able to hold R and click glyphs to combine them instead of drag and drop.

That way if the original glyph drops while you are holding R you can either let it go, or the next glyph you press will go red instead.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Why have a stack key at all?

If 1-0 are the slots of glyphs then the "KeyUp" event of any such key triggers the glyph (if possible).

However if I use the "KeyDown" event of pressing and holding a key, I can then easily use another "KeyDown" before the "KeyUp" to directly combine any number of keys until a "KeyUp" is registered. Using that way you can combine any number of keys without any special stacking key at all. Where they would stack in the first KeyUp received. (

For simplicity lets say I want to combine glyphs 1-2-3-4, in that order, then the most effecient would be
    KeyDown 1, KeyDown 2, KeyDown3, KeyDown4. KeyUp Any and all four would stack/combine. (press and hold 1-2-3-4, release)
    But I could get the same result of combining two and tow and then both, like
    KeyDown 1, KeyDown 2, KeyUp 2, then, KeyDown 3 KeyDown 4, KeyUp 4, then KeyDown 2, KeyDown 4, KeyUp Any. (press and hold 1-2 release, press and hold 3-4 release, press and hold 2-4 release)

It would also let you cast the combo faster in
    KeyDown 1, KeyDown 2, KeyUp 2 then 1, KeyDown+KeyUp 2 (press and hold 1-2 release, hit 2)

It would solve Miracle Dragon's issue as well since the KeyUp event after 2+ KeyDown 1-0 would trigger the check, no combo occurs, and you can instantly try the next.

Womby, Hraw, Miracle Dragon and 4 others like this.
  4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Combo modifier key may be other of my dreams coming true. Spoon suggestion feels like Christmas as well. There are other alternatives like sequential implementation, or auto combine by proximity... i can think of a lot of options, and i can deem them as better than current keystroke combo implementation. Let's hope they'll put some attention into that sooner than later.

5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'm all for anything that makes combat more intuitive!

Hazard, Miracle Dragon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. Curt

Curt Avatar

Using the system spoon suggest makes sense.

combos so far is either to stack several of the same glyph or combine many different glyphs

for combos of many different glyphs keeping the keys down and then release works nicely
    For when combining glyphs of the same kind could we have so keeping '1' down for more than X seconds starts to combine all glyphs of that type (more the longer the time)'

7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Remembering back to when deck combat and combos and stacking were first introduced to SotA, I chose skills purposefully that should lead to combos. I remember engaging in combat, and using skills in sequence to pull off a combo, but nothing ever happened. Later I found out you have to take your eyes off combat, make certain my character is in 'auto attack', and start moving glyphs around to create the combo, all this while I'm supposedly in the middle of a fight.

What seems most intuitive, for combos, is for them to be created automatically when the right skills are performed in sequence. So if I perform skill#1 followed by skill #2, the combo skill should automatically be dealt into my deck, allowing me to perform it next if I want.

I should not be forced to manage my GUI in the middle of a fight. While fighting, every button I push, and action I take as a player, should translate to an action by my character. And right now, the process of stacking and creating combos is taking away from that, because while I'm busy moving glyphs around, my character is just sitting there with auto-attack on, getting killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.