Commissioned vendors and pricing

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Spungwa, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Disclaimer : This does not actually affect me as i have a commission free vendor.

I think there is a problem with commissioned vendors. There is already a huge primary advantage to using a commission free vendor of being able to list items for free. This to me is, and should be. advantage enough.

The problem i see with commissioned vendors is not that you pay commission. It is that you basically HAVE to sell that item at the price you originally listed it for, even if the market conditions change. If you un-list and re-list to make the price competitive you will lose the original commission and pay another commission cost.
    This seems to me to be overly unfair on players with commissioned vendors.

I would suggest you should be able to "amend" your listing.
    If you drop the price the amend is free. You have basically over paid your vendor.
    If you increase the price you pay the commission on the difference between the original and new price.

PS On a side note, i put this in crafting, could have equally fitted in Housing, but i think it would be worth having an Economy sub forum in the game features section for these type of discussions.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Xebulante, alioth, Aldo and 28 others like this.
  2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think this problem has been discussed occasionally. ;)
    But taking a look at the problem it really looks like you are right and a change for the vendors seems to be needed.

Maybe a change to 5% "tax" on sale price. This 5% would be the main difference between a commission free vendor and a normal one and you would just have to pay the 5% if the item is really sold and no payment in advance.

Or you are “hiring” the vendor and each day costs X gold without any additional taxes. Maybe alike to the lot system you create some kind of account. Each day you use the vendor e.g 250 gold is written off that account.
    If there is no money left the vendor will stop working for you and send all items to your bank account.
    (Maybe there could be even different vendors offering different services. E.g. a cheap one with X simultaneously offerings and a expensive one with 2*X simultaneously offerings and on top with a stick out appearance. :D)

If an independent solution for every tax payment is too awkward…maybe there could be created an overall display/solution for this purpose.
    All your loots and their costs are there to be seen.
    All your vendors and their costs are there to be seen.
    All your additional cost factors are there to be seen. (rent, payment for other kinds of NPCs or anything thinkable in that direction)
    All costs are add up and you have to pay each day the visible sum. (Maybe even direct payment from your bank without the interim stage of charging a tax account)

E.g.
    Row lot “Shop A” in Brittany – 500 Gold
    Village lot “Shop B” in Aerie – 1000 Gold
    Vendor “Salesman A” working at “Shop A” in Brittany – 250 Gold
    Vendor “Salesman B” working at “Shop B” in Aerie – 250 Gold
    Vendor “Salesman C” working at “Shop B” in Aerie – 250 Gold
    Summary : 2250 Gold each day

3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

This is a really nice, simple, solution to that issue, and should be extended to Public Vendors as well, as long as making an amendment doesn't extend the time remaining to sell the items.

FrostII and Matt Harris like this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

+1
    I've been bit a few times by that re-listing fee.

Mac2, FrostII and Matt Harris like this.
  5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

+1
    I also have a commission free vendor but understand how this is detrimental to players that don't. All players should be able to amend the price of the item, up or down, on their vendor else the only vendors worth having are the limited commission free ones. Wouldn't think it would take much to just work out the extra tax needed for being relisted but this is something that new players need to at least give them a chance of competing with the older players who already with these vendors command the best locations, have no tax to pay and can swap and change prices on a whim.

Mac2, Womby, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes. Commissioned vendors are an absolute no go. I always advise players to avoid them like the gold plague, and it is because they can't change their prices without paying again.

7. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I still have no idea why the vendors doesnt just take a cut out of SELLING price. Means you can re-post as many times as you wish until the item actually sells.

Mac2, Viper_Poison, jolanar and 9 others like this.
  8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

This is @DarkStarr's answer to a similar question... I think... (I could be wrong but I think they're similar) :D

9. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I realise that, but if that is an issue, people would do that... With Commision Free vendors.

"We cant do this because its bad for the game.... Well unless you pay for it, then you can do it!"

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've heard him say this and... using it as storage doesn't make sense. Why use your 20,000 gold vendor as a storage chest? You've got a house, buy a 99 gold backpack, and put it down somewhere, or splurge and get a 600 gold chest!

Not sure how beneficial vendors are to laundering items... You put it on at x price and then pull it off later, for what? Changing the price? Great. Giving it to someone else? Ok... You were wasting your vendor space as a storage chest... I don't get it.

Can someone please explain to me how this would be an exploit?

11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I could be wrong, but I think that response from @DarkStarr was in regards to public vendors. I'm not sure it would make any sense for anyone to store or launder items with a player owned taxed vendor.

In my opinion, making some of the suggested changes in this thread would actually make the taxed vendors much more useful. So more players would buy them, use them, and pay more overall tax so it would actually make a better gold sink.

Womby, LoneStranger, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  12. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Maybe they should do away with the commission free vendors? Has any thought been given to do/try that?

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Don't think u could do away with as in taking the functionality/ free tax off them, but I'm not against them making other ones, maybe store bought or in game bought available with the same functionality.

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  14. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

That seems fair to me as long as the price is at least equal to what others had bought. No chance to complain since anyone could purchase one at that point.

Bow Vale likes this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That would take a huge chunk of $ from the development. The commission free vendors are by far the biggest reason to buy a bundle.

16. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I think the fees on normal vendors are pretty much a deal breaker for anyone wanting to sell items in game. That seems like a significant part of the game experience and I think it will be a big turn off for new players as the game goes live. A flat fee (5% ?) when the item sells seems like it would a better system.

(For the record, I have commission free vendors, but I still think changing the normal vendors will be good for the game.)

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A tax free vendor comes with any village lot or higher bundle.

18. Womby

Womby Avatar

I have six commission-free vendors (for my bookstores), and would not be able to run that business without them. I don't see how anyone can possibly compete using vendors that charge a commission, under the current rules.
    There are so many ways for an imaginative player to store huge amounts of stuff (including going way past the supposed storage limit of banks) that the concern with vendors (which are much more useful as revenue generators than storage closets) seems unwarranted.
    I fully support a single fee (percentage of sale price) charged on sale, with an additional upfront fee to determine how long the item can remain listed before it is forcibly removed to the local bank. No forced sales to the game!
    With appropriate charges, that could make conducting a business without a commission-free vendor almost viable.

19. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

You can't offer commission free vendors as part of a bundle package then say "Oh by the way,we decided to do away with them." There are too many backers and bundle purchasers with them and who use them. Punishing a large part of the community for something like that would bring a hell storm of complaints. I cannot even see how anyone would think this is an option.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I do. With the Dara Brae bookstores and Dragon Inns, I have three locations with a commission free vendors and two locations with a commission vendor. I survive.

It would be nice to have them all as commission free, but I do what I have to do with the commission ones.

The way the commission vendors works, makes sense. I can keep the items on them as long as I want but I cannot change any prices. It works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.