Community Hangout - R11 Recap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hail Avatars!

The next community hangout will be on Pre-Alpha Release 11! We're going to be recapping the game in it's current state... the bugs we've found that we think MUST BE A PRIORITY! And the things we absolutely have loved about this game to date. I'd like the first "unscheduled" part of this to be a very laid back "feedback" hangout that people can come and respond about what they've seen over the last year of playtesting the game and how they like this release. After that I'll be going into the normally scheduled agenda where we'll cover each of the design points that is released THE WEEK OF R11 (the list below is the "what Portalarium is trying to work on" and is often not exactly what will be done.

Sign up as this should be a lot of fun! I'll be posting the invite link for my "hangout and play" probably a couple hours before this hangout... feel free to stay tuned for that as well!

Currently up for design:
    • Steam Prep: We will make downloading and playing the game through Steam functional and will conduct a Steam test with our backers at Developer level (and above).
    • Maps: We will continue to expand the mainland scenes to include Solace Bridge (one of the three starting maps that is the aftermath of a village defending itself against an undead army) and the Kobold Battle Camp (one of three battle camps in the game). We will also add the Swamp biome to the game, along with a swamp scene.
    • Character Advancement: Our first pass at advancement will allow players to begin accumulating experience points and levels while earning skill and attribute points that can be spent.
    • Spells & Skills: Death Magic will expand to include summoning skeletons (formerly zombies) and liches (formerly ghouls)
    • Housing: Housing functionality will expand so players will finally be able to attach Stone & Timber and Stone style basements to their houses. This will be a first pass, so expect to see fun things like basement entrances on upper floors, on boats, etc.
    • Crafting: A first pass at cooking and alchemy will come online and gear will now take damage and will be repairable. We are also going to make a resource spawner distribution pass across most maps to add new resource spawns (reagents) and balance resource distribution.
    • Creatures: A pass will be made through the creatures to add more variety to them via skills and behaviors. We are going to target the Liches as an example and give them the ability to summon skeleton allies, stun/root players, and generate area of effect spells around them.
    • Combat: We are going make movement have an effect on ranged combat so that running will decrease the effectiveness of ranged attacks while standing still will confer a bonus. We are also removing the requirement to equip arrows in the offhand and instead will pull them straight from your inventory.
    • Control Point: Vertas Pass will become our first prototype of a control point. If you manage to defeat the Dark Elves holding Vertas Pass, then you can attempt to hold it against increasingly difficult waves of Dark Elves.
    • Customization: Hair will now play nice with helmets and hats so you will no longer suddenly become bald when you equip headgear.
    • NPC Conversation: When you talk to NPCs they will now become the focus of your screen (blurring out the background) with a dedicated chat window for the discussion.

What this is not:
    This is not a place where people are going to come together and bash Portalarium for things they don't like. If you haven't been following me I'm a huge fan of this game and a firm believer that these guys know what they're doing. I trust them. They know better than I do. That said, I love the fact they're allowing us to be part of development and design like I have never been before. I love seeing the game before all it's parts are in place. I love the community we have here... I have lots of love for lots of things and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Please come ready to voice your requests with respect and in an honorable fashion. I will not tolerate someone bad mouthing another player or Portalarium for a difference of opinions.

Details:
    • When
      • Saturday, October 25th, at 3pm eastern, 2pm central, 12pm pacific
    • How to get a seat
      • I WILL be posting a link to view the hangout both here and in the #SotA irc channel. I will be posting a join link here and will be only inviting people who go through a vetted system prior... R.S.V.P. or you MIGHT not get a seat! To get an R.S.V.P. reply here with "Save me a spot" or something along those lines and I'll add you to the list below. If you show up late you might not get your spot!
    • What you need to have first...
      • A webcam
      • A microphone (preference on a headset for speakers so we don't have sound quality issues)
      • A reason to be here (I have input on...)
    Confirmed attendees (in order of acceptance):

Previous Hangouts:
    10/11/14

9/27/14

9/13/14

8/3/14

7/10/14

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm only about half way through watching the latest hangout (on Housing), but it's by far the most engaging and interesting one yet. I'm really enjoying watching this. Great guests, and great conversation.

EDIT:

Regarding House Signs. Another area that I think will be just as important and well received would be having the ability to knock on doors. If you're sitting inside your home, how else will you know if someone has come over to visit? There's no global chat and whisper is very non-immerissive (and would not work for strangers).

I've brought this up before, but my hope is that the devs will read this and say "yeah we need that close to the time that this game becomes persistent".

3. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

A lot of good ideas I will plug in my thoughts below.

1) The vendors talk with a avatar and there response can be keywords, easily done with a general script and a note card the owner only can edit. Plotting a roaming or set path for the NPC using way points is not hard and that plotting can be on a separate editable note card. The script time and having to many running scripts and roaming NPCs on the simulator running 24/7 might be a issue lag wise if it can not fit into the instance cycle time but can be tried and monitored test wise.

2) For the banning issue the suggestion of town guards I think would have been the most fun, the rest seems it would be a bit much to have it sync right with PVP toggle and a ban list. If the ban list exists in a town it should be an option of the owner or whoever they way to do it build into the town controls this can also be done with a note card or a drop down edit.

3) To many POTs in the game should not be a issue for guilds and friends will hang out together no matter what and the in game system of allowing them to get their own with in game gold should be left there,. I am not sure how it would effect the POTs that looked at the game as a profitable venture. If there are a lot of gamers that come in and I think they will, so far there is a large mix of talent involed and it will be unique. I do not think it will matter how many POTs there are. Those that do not want to be in a POT unless its a guild POT of theirs, will just stay in the game cities until they can.

4) House displayed signs is a good idea if for nothing else to keep roamers out wondering if there vendors or whats inside, I had suggested at least a sign color code system of the sign to let others know whats there, like a blue tint for vendors, yellow for private, ect ect.. would help in towns to get around or be able to at least see what the home is and has.

A lot can be done with scripts in items or NPCs that have the ability to edit a note card inside, this can also be done on the more polished side with drop down selection menus or text input menus.

4. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

If you wanted to R.S.V.P. for the R11 recap hangout please reply here. If you wanted to keep talking about towns please keep it all in one spot so everyone has an easier time following the conversation: Community Hangout - Towns/housing

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Hope Full Loot ll come whit R12 :D

viraldisease and Duke Violation like this.
  6. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I would be happy to join

7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

obligatory RSVP for attendance post....

Duke Violation likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

added

slapped... I mean... added

9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

if you are gonna slap me, that means a duel challenge... accept and will choose the terms of battle and type of combat to be to my benefit so that I may crush you...

10. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Jesus that Saturday I am having a stove installed at the house. I will be doing Honey Do's. I Dont want to reserve a spot I may not be able to use.

:(

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Will be the early hours of the morning for me so il have to give it a miss.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Isnt that day still open for play in SoTA release? Most people will be playing still. I figured id put it out there!

13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I would be interested in joining. I have some input on a few of the topics.

14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's the point ;)

blaquerogue likes this.
  15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

sounds good!

16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Remember to reserve your spot for the hangout if you want to ensure yourself a seat. This is going to be a recap hangout where we don't set an exact topic ahead of time but allow the primary focus of R11 to be our topic(s). I will be posting a join link here 10 minutes or so after it starts so empty seats can be filled. RSVP's will have early invites and anyone who is in the lets play before hand will have the second chance invites.

YAY R11!

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

As a reminder, this hangout starts in about one hour.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Watch link:

Lord Lonn likes this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Fun times! Happy Happy Fun Fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.