Community Project - Economy Worksheet

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by enderandrew, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Why wont they want to buy Hides? What they have to fix the Item Decay. As it stands NOW no one will want to buy anything but repair kits since everything can be repaired to full. So NOTHING will be needed in the long run.

Which is / was a whole other topic that they don't seem to grasp.

2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If items will gain legacies has been described in the past (a sword gains a special skill after killing 1,000 Elves) then you need the ability to repair back to full.

A well planned economy will make it expensive to repair back completely to full, and make new gear affordable. So crafters will still new gear left and right, especially to PvP players, but people wanting to gain item affinity over time have that freedom (at the cost of extra gold).

Time Lord and Koldar like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And NOPE all items have to break otherwise there cannot be any kind of established economy.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. enderandrew

And yet most other MMOs pull off player economies just fine without forcing breakage on all items. In fact the games with the best economies (like Eve Online) focus almost entirely on player economy and you can repair to 100%.

So I reject the assertion that an economy must have this feature.

An economy CAN incentivize replacing gear and make it cheaper than a full repair.

Mitch [MGT], Time Lord and Phydra like this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

...But in EVE you can lose your stuff anywhere and anytime, outside station.

The same in SotA would be that you enter an adventuring scene and every time you die:

- All your equipped gear is lost forever;
    - Half of your inventory is lost forever;
    - The other half is dropped in your corpse and other players are free to completely loot it - without ransom;
    - In some cases, you even lose a level of one of your skills.

As it's clearly impossible to propose such a death penalty (even if... hmmm... "interesting") here, something else must replace this "incentive to production".

Enter durability and item breakage.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Npcs should pay 50% of average player vendor for that item type. So if players are charging 50g average per hide in the region, the npc should buy them for 25g in that region.

Koldar and Time Lord like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

That is a good idea in theory, but it has the potential for being exploited.

If a large guild happens to be a predominant force in a certain region, they could:
    1. Buy out all of a certain item from every vendor in the region (price doesn't matter as they just want to remove all of this item entireley)
    2. List 1 unit of that item at a ridiculously high price on their vendors and/or the public vendors (Setting their own market price in that region)
    3. Then when the NPC raises the buy price to match the inflated market prices set by that guild... all those people could sell the bulk of that item from their inventory to NPC's for huge profit.
    Is that something that would take a huge effort to coordinate and pull off? Sure, but it's not impossible and highly likely to happen.

I think NPC prices should have a fixed base/minimum price and only fluctuate slightly based on supply of that item for sale in that region. This base price can obviously be changed as the game progresses and the economy grows by the Dev's as per their metrics determine. But I don't think player listed pricing should be a factor because that's just too easy to exploit.

cartodude and Time Lord like this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

The npcs price would adjust overtime & a minimum number of sources used so there could be an average. If the listings are from less than 5 guilds over 2 weeks then a base price would be used. At least over a 2 week period & increase or decrease at a 10% increment over another week
    I think it could work.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. enderandrew

They already have support in game for dynamic pricing. Vendors can "like" you and give you better rates (though I think very few support this currently). I believe vendors prefer items of their type. Butchers don't like buying swords. And pricing can change based on demand. If craft 200 daggers, and the vendor already purchased 200 daggers from someone else, then they don't really want daggers and won't offer much for them.

However, there are still BASE values for items, and we need sane defaults for those base items. Right now many/most crafted items are worth less than the components to make them. A handful have a huge profit. Agriculture is meaningless in that it takes 10 gold to grow a reagent, plus lots of time. Or you can just buy the reagent for 10 gold.

Daxxe Diggler and Time Lord like this.
  10. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Nope. Robbing a dead is a crime, too. Like in the good ol' days - marking red for several hours, ransom and all the stuff. Awakens the headhunter-business.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

That's what I'm getting at. Crafting is far too time consuming for the reward.
    A dynamic reward would take away some monotony. Forgot about the liking a vendor, no idea how to do that

Time Lord likes this.
  12. enderandrew

There are a handful where if you do a quest for a vendor, they can give you favorable pricing.

I'd like to see town faction standing, or perhaps pricing based on your karma/notoriety eventually. But that isn't in place currently.

Time Lord and Dorham Isycle like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: YEP, Yep, yep...

Time = Gold
    Gold = Useful Value
    Risk = Reward

Any product that takes a long time, must have high value in price, yet also an equal value in demand...
    I've heard allot of recipes, that haven't shown their worth, other than as some odd RP type of way... "which is no real value for their demand" o_O

If it's useful, lets make it, if it's just something to show, lets not. Any talk of an economy needs to have and end value and known time it took to make it, in order to guess it's value it in any way.

One thing that also comes to mind that our creators have said in the past, is that craftsman will never make as much as the adventurer. I don't know how true that will become, but that's what they have said.
    In keeping with this vision :rolleyes:, everything's value begins with lot taxes + cost of player skill upkeep + some left over amount saved for the future expansion of their economic goals within their chosen skills.

Chosen skills become a debate within the economy, because with skill decay of un-used skills, a player must play quite often in all their skills to keep them a viable source of their income. Thus, I don't believe that there is going to be a "end all, be all", of all player professions. Desires of the players to create such products then effect the market, yet also the amount of players that actually do desire to "be" a certain profession.
    :rolleyes: "We don't yet know how many of any profession we will have", so we must assume quite a bit and attempt to create a "gold goal" which could then entice players to play those positions in life, yet also entice them through providing an enjoyable experience in game play by using those skills.

I'm enjoying reading this thread :) "inspiring"
    Please continue... :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. enderandrew

So we're persistent with a live economy, and yet we haven't done a pass on item base values.

Right now you have to spend hundreds on fuels and waste your gathered resources to craft an item worth less than the raw resources to make it.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. enderandrew

We're persistent and item base values didn't get an economy pass. This really needs some love. I think this is an area where the community could contribute.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

There seems to be a lot of #Ref on the sheet.....:(

Time Lord likes this.
  17. enderandrew

I think it is because people re-sorted the sheet and you can't do that because it breaks all the links. I put comments in not to do that.

It is a shame that neither Excel nor Google Sheets will let you re-sort rows without breaking the reference links.

Time Lord and 4EverLost like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.